2018 NHL Entry Draft

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Always go for BPA when drafting. Focusing or having a quota on a certain position causes a team to tunnel-vision and pick worse players. When a team has too many good prospects at a certain position, they can use them to make trades for similarly valued prospects that do fill their needs.

A very good prospect that is not of positional need for your team is still more valuable than an average prospect that is of need.
I disagree
If org depth is short on LHD and there is one available who is within 2-3 spots from where you're picking then take the LHD.
The further away from top 5-8 picks the value of an individual player can vary by a great margin from team to team.
Especially with late round picks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I disagree
If org depth is short on LHD and there is one available who is within 2-3 spots from where you're picking then take the LHD.
The further away from top 5-8 picks the value of an individual player can vary by a great margin from team to team.
Especially with late round picks.
I disagree. The only time you should lean to a certain position is if you have two players rated about the same, but only one of those players fit an organizational need.

If one player you have clearly ahead of the other, take the higher rated player.

If you think your need is great enough to get the lower rated player, try and trade down to maximize the value, while taking said player later. If unable to do so, take the higher rated player.

Trust your projections.

Reactions: HollaHaula

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
So lout of 7 picks, you guys think it's fine that only one C is drafted? And a 5th rounder, at that? How long do you think Staal and Koivu are going to be effective? Ek is the only young C that we have that is a sure fire NHL'er.

There are other ways of acquiring players. Trade, free agency, etc. Last year they had 2 FA centers and 2 drafted ones.

Look at the Twins, they had some nice shortstop prospects going into the last draft, and they drafted another in Lewis. Well, one of the surplus, Palacios, became Odorizzi.

Take the best player, not the need - need can be addressed later through trades and free agency.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anybody know the deal is with Jake Wise? Wasn't he projected to go top 5 in this draft a couple years ago? 43 points in 38 games for U-18 team; a full season of 62 games would've put him ~70 points based on the points-per-game which would be nipping at the heels of Farabee (projected mid-1st rounder). I've seen him in the 3rd or 4th rounds in some mocks which seems low. For comparison, Dylan Larkin had 56 points in 60 games for the U-18 in his draft year; Colin white with 54 in 54; Greenway 43 in 53.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Anybody know the deal is with Jake Wise? Wasn't he projected to go top 5 in this draft a couple years ago? 43 points in 38 games for U-18 team; a full season of 62 games would've put him ~70 points based on the points-per-game which would be nipping at the heels of Farabee (projected mid-1st rounder). I've seen him in the 3rd or 4th rounds in some mocks which seems low. For comparison, Dylan Larkin had 56 points in 60 games for the U-18 in his draft year; Colin white with 54 in 54; Greenway 43 in 53.

Jake Wise:
Under the radar performer who is a terrific skater with strong skill set. His year was marred by various nagging injuries. Committed to Boston University.
--Bill Placzek--

He's 5'10" 190 lbs. Ranked #63 by future considerations. He's not much of a goal scorer, but racks up assists. Short, non-goal scorers usually end up as all or nothing mid-round picks. Missing on a 3rd or a 4th rounder doesn't hurt like missing on a top-60 pick does.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Jake Wise:
Under the radar performer who is a terrific skater with strong skill set. His year was marred by various nagging injuries. Committed to Boston University.
--Bill Placzek--

He's 5'10" 190 lbs. Ranked #63 by future considerations. He's not much of a goal scorer, but racks up assists. Short, non-goal scorers usually end up as all or nothing mid-round picks. Missing on a 3rd or a 4th rounder doesn't hurt like missing on a top-60 pick does.

I saw somebody in his thread on the prospects board compare him to Trocheck. I like that and the "terrific skater" part of the write-up.

Maybe a 2nd round trade-up option using Buffalo's 3rd round pick?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I saw somebody in his thread on the prospects board compare him to Trocheck. I like that and the "terrific skater" part of the write-up.

Also, being 5'10" is short (by NHL standards), but isn't small like Spurgeon.

Also, seeing he's already 190lbs... means he has a good solid build. Look how physical Clutterbuck was able to play at 5'10" with a solid build. Doesn't seem like an "undersized" player build. Pretty sure that was the size Crosby was listed at in his draft year. Granlund also is 5'10" with a solid build.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

It depends who else is on the board really. Skating is important, but I'm leery about taking a FWD that hasn't shown much goal scoring ability.

Nando Eggenberger is a guy who I'd like to see the Wild pick up in the 3rd, he seems like somewhat of a project, but power FWDs do take awhile to develop. Nando Eggenberger at eliteprospects.com

Big and strong Swiss wing who is a deceptively quick attacker who appears in close whenever he chooses to do so. Already stronger than most in his Swiss league, he creates chances along the wall and down low. He has a sniper's hands from the perimeter and hockey sense to find the open areas to receive pucks. This big horse gallops in from nowhere and lets go with an offensive stampede. Prototypical power wing with size, shot, balance and nice North-South skating ability. Plays on special teams with success and has a great defensive presence at both ends. Wins puck battle on the wall and in the corners. Has a goal scorers touch and is very difficult to move off the puck. A solid penalty-killer who diagnoses well. Unselfish and makes positive things happen when he is carrying.
--Bill Placzek--

He was also the "C" for the Swiss U20 team last year.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
after top 10 i think BPA goes out the window. if i were gm i'd be addressing needs. just to recap IF kravstov is available at #24 i'd take a flyer on him. i think my #1 choice will be mcleod; #2 olofsson; #3 lundestrom; #4 alexeyev; #5 serron. mock drafts are all over the planet where these guys will get drafted. any thoughts on a super fast player that may be available in the 3rd rnd?

Kase

May 1, 2016
after top 10 i think BPA goes out the window. if i were gm i'd be addressing needs. just to recap IF kravstov is available at #24 i'd take a flyer on him. i think my #1 choice will be mcleod; #2 olofsson; #3 lundestrom; #4 alexeyev; #5 serron. mock drafts are all over the planet where these guys will get drafted. any thoughts on a super fast player that may be available in the 3rd rnd?

Liam Foudy, who is a terrific skater, has been my go to guy to pick with the BUF pick for a long time, but at this point it's very unlikely that he would still be available after the second round.

Of the top of my head Gabriel Fortier comes to mind who has impressive straight line speed, and he should be available in the third round.

Einar Emanuelsson and Nolan Walker are also very fast, but shouldn't be picked in the third round. I have them as a possible late rounders, but I doubt neither of them even gets picked.

From defenders Joey Keane could be a good pick in the mid rounds.

edit. Forgot about Tyler Madden.

Last edited:

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
What do you guys think about taking a chance on Ryan Merkley or Jack Wise with #24? Ryan is a huge gamble but the kind of home run pick we could use. Jack Wise was injured this year, but was highly touted in the recent past.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know that we need a Merkely type player so much, even if he does end up fulfilling his potential. His character issues appear to be for real...do we need to borrow that trouble?

Reactions: Tuntrui

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
Anyone have any info on Albin Erikkson?

HockeyProspect.com ranks him 28

However FutureConsiderations ranks him 74

Kind of a big discrepancy

6'4 205

Dosent turn 18 until the end of July

Kase

May 1, 2016
Anyone have any info on Albin Erikkson?

HockeyProspect.com ranks him 28

However FutureConsiderations ranks him 74

Kind of a big discrepancy

6'4 205

Dosent turn 18 until the end of July

Nice combo of size, skating and hands and is more of a goal scorer.

Players with that kind of skillset are highly wanted, so wouldn't be too surprised if he goes early second, but first round seems too much of a reach.

Saw one of his shl games and didn't stand out in any way, and he managed to get only three shots in total in all of the 17 games he played in shl this season. Though he averaged only about 4 mins of toi per game.

Has long ways to make the NHL, but if he developes well, could become NHL caliber scorer down the road.

Definitely a player to consider if he is available in the third round.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i got a score text alert on my phone that says the wild should draft mcleod or bokk. our picks are #24; #63; #86; #92; #148; #155; #179; #210. cant wait 4 the draft!

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If we can draft one or more of the following depending on trades, etc:

1. Kravtsov if he falls AND we trade up or acquire a pick.
2. Noel
3. Kaut
4. Ty Smith
5. Kupari
6. Bokk
7. Marchenko
8. Berggren
9. Bode Wilde
10. Alexander Khovanov
11. Hayton
12. Alexeyev

Any of those two would be gold to have in the first 35 picks.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Call me crazy, but if I had two 1st's I'm drafting Merkley with one of them.

I may draft Merkley with my only 1st.

I understand his lack of defense, but IMO any character stuff is overblown and he's a young kid.

If he played a smigin' of defense, he'd be 2OA.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Call me crazy, but if I had two 1st's I'm drafting Merkley with one of them.

I may draft Merkley with my only 1st.

I understand his lack of defense, but IMO any character stuff is overblown and he's a young kid.

If he played a smigin' of defense, he'd be 2OA.

I think playing defense is somewhat important for a d-man...

Isn't the main question with him is if he has the defensive IQ? Not that he just pulls a Vanek and just doesn't care, but can he read and anticipate in the d-zone?

Shelter the heck out of him and hope for the best?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad