2018 NHL Entry Draft

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
What modestly skilled checking forward or stay at home defenseman will the Wild pick?

NHL Draft prospect rankings: Rasmus Dahlin or Andrei Svechnikov? It's 1A vs. 1B atop 2018 class

ISS Top 31 - Top Prospect Rankings

The Wild possess their own 1st rounder, plus three 3rd rounders, two 5ths, their own 6th and 7th.

The 2nd belongs to Arizona, part of the deal for Martin Hanzal.

I like what this team has done at the draft with limited resources from 2015 on. This is a big one.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I’ve seen Dominik Bokk going to Wild in some mocks, know nothing about him. 6’1” center with size and can skate. Erickson Ek clone?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
No, we need to see if there's another Pastrnak to be had, not another Ek.
Yeah, if Ek was a "safe" pick (not sure if he was considered that at the time), they need to go for a riskier option.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like the look of Serron Noel, in limited viewings. Big, fast, with some offense. Apparently he struggles with consistency.

I think there is a Finnish C, Kotkaniemi? Any intel from Finn bros? Sounds interesting, and might be available.

K'Andre Miller , a LHD With USNDP ...from Tonka, I think...lotsa physical talent, but is raw. Don't know if I want him in the first round.

Kravtsov, C with some size....Russian factor, again.

Like Ty Madden in the mid rounds. Small, but mentally tough, and skills out the wazoo. Fast. Second coming of Jason Zucker?

Possible round 3 guys is where we have to be doing our work. We've got 3 picks there.

A couple of late round picks -local boys, both RHD's with decent size. Lagerstrom out of Shattuck. Haven't seen him for a couple of years, but used to be very good, and seems to be scoring a lot for Shattuck.

Vorlicky, going to Wisconsin. A bit more meat and potatoes, but smart. Can skate, and handle the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
lets fire CF and not go the safe route. Make some trades with NYI to get one of their top picks/get into top 15, or trade back and get a 2nd.

some other names
Jonatan Berrgren
Jake Wise
Scott Perunovich
Gavin Hain

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Perunovich is a skilled, smart player, but man, he's small. I don't know if he has the game for the NHL.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
Dominic Bokk isn't an Ek clone from what I understand,He thinks offense first his defensive game needs rounding out.He is my 1A man crush for the 24th pick right now.

1B man crush is Martin Kaut,I see a little Marian Gaborik to Kaut when I watch him.The skating stride and shot (other than being right handed)both look eerily similar to me.

Reactions: chchelseII

Kase

May 1, 2016
Dominic Bokk isn't an Ek clone from what I understand,He thinks offense first his defensive game needs rounding out.He is my 1A man crush for the 24th pick right now.

1B man crush is Martin Kaut,I see a little Marian Gaborik to Kaut when I watch him.The skating stride and shot (other than being right handed)both look eerily similar to me.

At the moment I think I might prefer Kaut most from the forwards that are projected to go around the Wild's pick. I really like his skill set, as he can shoot, pass, skate and seems to be very hard working player too. Not really any weaknesses in his game and he might be one of the most NHL ready players in the draft. I think the downside on him is that he is kind of a safe pick and doesn't imo really have that star potential what Wild should be looking at.

For the higher potential Bokk is the guy you want to take, as he could be the 'Pastrnak' of this draft.

Other one I like is Kravtsov, but I think he's gone before the Wild's pick. Maybe Wise and Thomas too.

If those players are gone before the Wild's pick, I'd consider trading down to first half of the 2nd round, as there are going to be some great players there, that I think would be too much of a reach with the first round pick. I'd be most interested in Berggren, as I absolutely love his game, but think he would be too risky to pick with the first round pick.

With later picks I'd target Bulat Shafigullin, Liam Foudy, Danila Zhuravlyov, Ryan O'Reilly, Logan Hutsko and Einar Emanuelsson to name a few.

Reactions: Burn

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At the moment I think I might prefer Kaut most from the forwards that are projected to go around the Wild's pick. I really like his skill set, as he can shoot, pass, skate and seems to be very hard working player too. Not really any weaknesses in his game and he might be one of the most NHL ready players in the draft. I think the downside on him is that he is kind of a safe pick and doesn't imo really have that star potential what Wild should be looking at.

For the higher potential Bokk is the guy you want to take, as he could be the 'Pastrnak' of this draft.

Other one I like is Kravtsov, but I think he's gone before the Wild's pick. Maybe Wise and Thomas too.

If those players are gone before the Wild's pick, I'd consider trading down to first half of the 2nd round, as there are going to be some great players there, that I think would be too much of a reach with the first round pick. I'd be most interested in Berggren, as I absolutely love his game, but think he would be too risky to pick with the first round pick.

With later picks I'd target Bulat Shafigullin, Liam Foudy, Danila Zhuravlyov, Ryan O'Reilly, Logan Hutsko and Einar Emanuelsson to name a few.
THAT is what we need to be looking for.

Nothing against safe picks, they are the right pick sometimes, but this team is loaded with the "safe" options and must take some risks for true high end skill.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dominik Bokk Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #21

Dominik Bokk Scouting Report

Left Wing/Right Wing — shoots Right
Born February 3rd, 2000 — Schweinfurt, Germany
Height 6’1″ — Weight 180 lbs [185 cm / 82 kg]

Skating

Bokk is a strong skater. His top-end speed is above average, but not blazing. However, what really helps is the fact that Bokk has a very good first step and strong acceleration. He reaches top speed in just a few strides. This helps him be quick to pounce on loose pucks and win short races. His ability to change speeds can also create space on the rush. Book also has good edgework and agility, which allows him to weave through traffic and make plays in tight spaces.

Offensive Game

Bokk has outstanding stickhandling ability. He has incredible hands and can make plays in a phone booth. He pairs this with very good vision and passing skill. Bokk has high-end hockey IQ, he always seems to make smart plays with the puck and knows how to get open without it. Bokk is strong on his skates, and protects the puck well in the cycle game. He has decent balance. This should improve even more as he continues to add muscle to his frame.
Bokk is a goal scorer. He has a good arsenal of shots. His wrist shot and snapshot are hard and accurate. They both also feature a quick release. Bokk’s slap shot and one-timer are also strong. While his shots are good Bokk can also score in tight. He goes to the net and can score with tip-ins, pounce on rebounds, and with the quick hands to bang in passes from teammates.

Defensive Game

Bokk also needs to work on his defensive game, with more commitment to the backcheck, and better positioning needed. It is a bit of a work in progress, but it must be remembered that this was Bokk’s first season playing against high-end competition. At lower levels of the World Championships and in German junior leagues, there are few players who have the offensive skills of Bokk. He would have had the puck through most of his time in those leagues and not have needed to learn much on the defensive end. With good coaching and development, this aspect of this game should develop.

Projection and Comparison

Bokk is a talented, but raw player. He needs to continue to work on his game and get good coaching and development. He needs to work on his defensive game, and also to be a bit more physical without the puck. Bokk may be anywhere from two to four years away from being NHL ready, but with good development can be a top-six forward. Bokk’s game is reminiscent of Nikolaj Ehlers. This is simply a style comparison though, and not one based on potential or ability.

Kase

May 1, 2016
THAT is what we need to be looking for.

Nothing against safe picks, they are the right pick sometimes, but this team is loaded with the "safe" options and must take some risks for true high end skill.

Agree with you on that one.

But are the Wild in position to completely miss on their first rounders?

I think there's a decent chance that Bokk could bust completely, and that's the reason why I would personally take Kaut before him, even if his potential might not be as high as Bokk's. And it's not like Kaut has low potential either. I'm very confident that he will become 60 pts winger who is great all around. Sort of like Zucker, but hopefully with better playoff success.

Nonetheless, both are great choices.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Agree with you on that one.

But are the Wild in position to completely miss on their first rounders?

I think there's a decent chance that Bokk could bust completely, and that's the reason why I would personally take Kaut before him, even if his potential might not be as high as Bokk's. And it's not like Kaut has low potential either. I'm very confident that he will become 60 pts winger who is great all around. Sort of like Zucker, but hopefully with better playoff success.

Nonetheless, both are great choices.
Yes, the Wild can afford to swing for the fences and potentially miss. We have a roster loaded with safe type players. We need to get the skill base on the team diversified. If you aren't willing to take risks to get there, then you should be in a different business.

I brought up all this stuff when I argued in favor of drafting Pastrnak. Everyone wanted the safer options of Milano and Tuch... I wanted Pastrnak because of his dynamic ability (which my arguments for his dynamic abilities even became a running joke around here for a while - such and such has DYNAMIC checking ability... Oh we can't pick him because he's not DYNAMIC... lol). Milano was picked before it got to us, then we took Tuch, and Boston won the first round several picks later.

That's why to this day, the Wild are still looking for the next Pastrnak type player.

Can't fear failure if you want to find a real game breaker.

Last edited:

Kase

May 1, 2016
BPA at this point...Center depth isn't great in this draft from what I hear.

Yeah, seems to be very bad draft for centers unfortunately.

Veleno is interesting, but he has rised up in the rankings again and will probably go top 15, so out of Wild's reach.

I was so pissed that Fletcher didn't make a move to get top 5 or at least top 10 pick last year. It was so great draft for centers and having Pettersson, Vilardi, Mittelstadt or Necas in the system would be so huge. I mean he might have tried, and I also kind of understand if he didn't want to move players for future pieces after the season they just had, but last draft was great chance to get that big time player.

Last edited:

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
yeah Pasternak was on my radar that draft too. However no one can predict those things taking Tuch I was cool with, but big guys take longer too develop as well as D men. Pastas big hit appentliy was his skating kind like Giroux(PHIL) and even Perry(ANA) not saying they are the same types of players but ?'s about their skating going into their respective drafts.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Yes, the Wild can afford to swing for the fences and potentially miss. We have a roster loaded with safe type players. We need to get the skill base on the team diversified. If you aren't willing to take risks to get there, then you should be in a different business.

I brought up all this stuff when I argued in favor of drafting Pastrnak. Everyone wanted the safer options of Milano and Tuch... I wanted Pastrnak because of his dynamic ability (which my arguments for his dynamic abilities even became a running joke around here for a while - such and such has DYNAMIC checking ability... Oh we can't pick him because he's not DYNAMIC... lol). Milano was picked before it got to us, then we took Tuch, and Boston won the first round several picks later.

That's why to this day, the Wild are still looking for the next Pastrnak type player.

Can't fear failure if you want to find a real game breaker.

You make very valid points, and after thinking it more I might have to move Bokk over Kaut.

OR trade Coyle for late first and pick both.

Reactions: TaLoN

Kase

May 1, 2016
Dude tunturi we only had a 3rd round pick who might we have moved?

As an example, I was talking with Buffalo fans and they were ready move the 8 overall pick + for Brodin.

So instead of trading Scandella for garbage return, Wild could have traded Brodin for actual return and pick high end C prospect in Vilardi, Mittelstadt or Necas.

Maybe Fletcher pursued those kind of deals, but no one was willing to move their high pick, we wouldn't know that. But I would have been thrilled if that kind of deal happened.

Edit. But this is pretty off topic anyway, and I don't want to derail the thread more.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As an example, I was talking with Buffalo fans and they were ready move the 8 overall pick + for Brodin.

So instead of trading Scandella for garbage return, Wild could have traded Brodin for actual return and pick high end C prospect in Vilardi, Mittelstadt or Necas.

Maybe Fletcher pursued those kind of deals, but no one was willing to move their high pick, we wouldn't know that. But I would have been thrilled if that kind of deal happened.

Edit. But this is pretty off topic anyway, and I don't want to derail the thread more.
Buffalo fans saying they're willing to trade whoever for whatever doesn't mean a thing. It just means the fans are in favor of it. The GM of Buffalo is the only opinion that matters, and he was very high on Mittelstadt.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Buffalo fans saying they're willing to trade whoever for whatever doesn't mean a thing. It just means the fans are in favor of it. The GM of Buffalo is the only opinion that matters, and he was very high on Mittelstadt.

Of course, that goes without saying. That was just one example of what might have been a possible scenario.

To make myself clear, I'm upset that Wild didn't get top 10 pick in that draft, but I'm not blaming Fletcher for not getting it done, because we don't know sh** what happens behind the scenes, and rarely are top 10 picks even moved.

But let's get back on topic.

Kase

May 1, 2016
The year of the winger/dman. I think we need a dman more than a winger in the pipeline.

You might be right.

Getting one high end D prospect and knowing that there's at least something waiting in the pipelines would make it easier to trade one of the dmen for offensive help.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->