2018 NHL Entry Draft

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
What are you willing to give up for them?

Well that's of course the obvious question. I'm not sure what the market is like currently, what other GM's are valuing our players at, etc. I think that it may have to mix player(s) and a pick(s) going both ways. The only guys I think I really don't want to part with is Nino and Dumba. But, if the price is right, anyone is untouchable to me.

I don't like lateral moves though.

Thank god I'm not the GM.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
What are you willing to give up for them?

Are you familiar with this paper: http://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf ?

This seems like a draft where three 2nds would be amazing value but three 3rds is going to yield three instances of meh because so much name value will be gone.

24th could get you a huge upside player like Merkley or it could get you a huge meh like Wilde. It's a disappointing position to be in for a team that needs a hit, not another 3rd liner.

Finally, I hope Bettman, after making his usual pre-draft speeches and before the 1st pick trolls the crowd with 'we have a trade to announce.'

Reactions: FVM

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Are you familiar with this paper: http://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf ?

This seems like a draft where three 2nds would be amazing value but three 3rds is going to yield three instances of meh because so much name value will be gone.

24th could get you a huge upside player like Merkley or it could get you a huge meh like Wilde. It's a disappointing position to be in for a team that needs a hit, not another 3rd liner.

Finally, I hope Bettman, after making his usual pre-draft speeches and before the 1st pick trolls the crowd with 'we have a trade to announce.'

I feel that way about most any 1st that's not top-3 every year. But after last year not picking until 85oa (and being underwhelmed). I'm just happy to have a pick on the first day of the draft.

The Habs are looking really good heading into the draft this year; 3oa + 5 more top-70 picks; for that very reason.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well that's of course the obvious question. I'm not sure what the market is like currently, what other GM's are valuing our players at, etc. I think that it may have to mix player(s) and a pick(s) going both ways. The only guys I think I really don't want to part with is Nino and Dumba. But, if the price is right, anyone is untouchable to me.

I don't like lateral moves though.

Thank god I'm not the GM.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure what you had in mind. Trading into the 1st tends to be pretty expensive, especially if you're not moving up from the 2nd or something like that. Guys like Nino, Coyle, Granlund, Brodin, etc. can all probably get a 1st, but I dunno that the pick(s) would be high enough to justify it.

Agreed on our prospects at 24: I think a year from now there'll be a few guys that were taken from 20-40 that look like damn good picks, but whether or not we end up with one of them.... It's not a terrible range to pick in, but it'd be nice to have more than one shot.

Trying to upgrade Buffalo's 3rd to a 2nd could be worthwhile, but I'm not sure what that deal looks like. Going by the chart in that paper you should be able to get a 2nd for three 3rds, but you need a dance partner.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

I think that paper is very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I'm not sure the Wild has what it takes to trade up far, and I think that having two 1sts probably gives you a better chance in a draft like this to hit on one of them, or at least have a 2nd to like wise hit.

Do we have what it takes, and does it make sense, to get into the top 10, give up our 1st and a player, but get a second. So we have a top 10 pick and a 2nd, and still have two or three 3rds? EDIT: Do we have what it takes AND have someone to fill the hole on the roster*

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'll keep playing the part of the broken record.

The Wild need two 1sts or a 1st and a 2nd. They will no matter what have a 3rd or two, three currently.

I personally would draft Miller because his upside. If we got a mid round 1st, I'd draft a F, then with our 24th I'd draft a Miller or some other D.

Well, our first 3rd round isn't too far off from a 2nd. I'd guess that packaging it with one of the later 3rds could jump us up 10-15 spots, maybe.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Wild need to package all three 3rd round picks to get into the 2nd if necessary. If Berggren or Ylonen aren't picked, and slip into the 2nd round, then we need to make it happen.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Hopefully one of
Bokk
Merkley
Miller
Ylonen
Thomas

Bokk would be my favorite which means he is probably going to get taken earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hopefully one of
Bokk
Merkley
Miller
Ylonen
Thomas

Bokk would be my favorite which means he is probably going to get taken earlier.
I don't know much about this years draft, but Merkley and Miller are the 2 guys that I don't want anything to do with.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Really hoping Fenton encourages Flahr to actually take a chance with 24. Even when we had a team consistently making the playoffs every year, Fletcher was still drafting the safe pick. Draft someone with some high end potential for once, even if they don't have a well rounded game yet.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Really hoping Fenton encourages Flahr to actually take a chance with 24. Even when we had a team consistently making the playoffs every year, Fletcher was still drafting the safe pick. Draft someone with some high end potential for once, even if they don't have a well rounded game yet.
Don't really see that at all. at least not in the 1st round.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Brodin, Tuch, Eriksson Ek and Kunin were all pretty 'safe' at their spots, but that could just be now knowing how was picked behind them and what they've done since.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't really see that at all. at least not in the 1st round.

You could make a case for Kunin not being the safest pick, but like Dr said, Brodin, Ek and Tuch were all guys were high floor guys, but not the highest ceiling of the players around them.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You could make a case for Kunin not being the safest pick, but like Dr said, Brodin, Ek and Tuch were all guys were high floor guys, but not the highest ceiling of the players around them.
Brodin was a reach that turned out to be a good pick, but just because he turned into a safe player, doesn't mean it was a safe pick. Go back and look at this boards reaction to that pick if you want a laugh. Tuch, Kunin, and Ek could be considered safe picks, but I can't see any "risky picks" that the Wild passed on either.

That still leaves Leddy, Granlund, Phillips, and Dumba as picks that were anything but the safe pick.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think Brodin, Tuch, Eriksson Ek and Kunin were all pretty 'safe' at their spots, but that could just be now knowing how was picked behind them and what they've done since.
I know I thought Tuch was far too much of a "safe" pick... you all know who I wanted in that draft though... missed opportunity that year!

I'm not nearly as convinced on any of the possibilities this year... I'm leaning towards Bokk though from what I've read.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Brodin was a reach that turned out to be a good pick, but just because he turned into a safe player, doesn't mean it was a safe pick. Go back and look at this boards reaction to that pick if you want a laugh. Tuch, Kunin, and Ek could be considered safe picks, but I can't see any "risky picks" that the Wild passed on either.

That still leaves Leddy, Granlund, Phillips, and Dumba as picks that were anything but the safe pick.
Funny thing, people around here got upset with 3 of those 4 picks.... the one everyone was thrilled with? Phillips!

I was happy with the Leddy pick and I was a HUGE Dumba proponent going into that draft... Granlund I knew very little about but liked everything I heard. Phillips, I had no opinion on... but I started do be pretty down on him when I saw him in the prospect scrimmage. He just didn't look like a player to me.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Hopefully one of
Bokk
Merkley
Miller
Ylonen
Thomas

I’ll be jacked if we get Bokk. Really like him.
I don't know much about this years draft, but Merkley and Miller are the 2 guys that I don't want anything to do with.
Why on K’Andre Miller? Everything I’ve heard is he’s great offensively, drives play, and is working out the kinks to his defensive game after a position switch not too long ago. Haven’t really watched him but that’ll change come hockey season with him playing for Wisco.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I’ll be jacked if we get Bokk. Really like him.

Why on K’Andre Miller? Everything I’ve heard is he’s great offensively, drives play, and is working out the kinks to his defensive game after a position switch not too long ago. Haven’t really watched him but that’ll change come hockey season with him playing for Wisco.

I saw something (maybe the Athletic) that broke down defensemen by different categories like controlled zone entries, scoring chances created, etc. and Miller was at the top of just about every metric - even above Bouchard, Dobson in some areas. Should be a steal for someone (and I'm also getting pretty excited about the Badgers' incoming guys - Miller and Ranta, even the other Ahcan kid).

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Miller played out the western burbs on elite teams for years. My son played against hi a couple of times. Really, really good player, but he was by no means better than some of the other elite players. He was also a forward. When I've watched him, he does some good things, but just looks out of place on D. That can be fixed, I guess, but all those years spent at forward( till 15-16?) have left a hole in his development.

The guy has good skating, decent skill, and size, but nothing extraordinary. He has decent hockey IQ, but again, nothing to write home about.

I can't help but feel that scouts are in love with his size. At heart, everyone wants a 6'4" Dman for their team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Miller played out the western burbs on elite teams for years. My son played against hi a couple of times. Really, really good player, but he was by no means better than some of the other elite players. He was also a forward. When I've watched him, he does some good things, but just looks out of place on D. That can be fixed, I guess, but all those years spent at forward( till 15-16?) have left a hole in his development.

The guy has good skating, decent skill, and size, but nothing extraordinary. He has decent hockey IQ, but again, nothing to write home about.

I can't help but feel that scouts are in love with his size. At heart, everyone wants a 6'4" Dman for their team.

Including most everybody here.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Counterpoint: Dumba, Kuznetsov, and Sokolov are all high-risk boom/bust type players.

I'd say we have a good mix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad