2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Agreed. It will be hard to find another Poehling type and the center I would like is Tkachuk. He's likely to go in the top 5. Otherwise, I would go after a LD prospect. Then a center with some of our 2nd round picks. Trading Patch for a premium prospect and a 2018 1st (at least) would get us in better position to snag a Center and LD prospect in the 1st round.

He's not playing center currently. You can actually watch about half of his BU games on their website for free. If we ended up with Tkachuk I would prefer to have him on the wing, anyways. He is stronk like bull and an absolute beast on the boards, on the cycle, in front of the net.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zadina is very Timo Meier like. He wouldn't be my choice for the Habs because we'd never get everything out of him without a proper center.

I won't be upset if we get Zadina but not getting a center with 3 top 10 picks in 7 drafts would be a major disappointment. How is the NHL draft set up this year? Is it still a top 3 lottery? Other than 1st, what pick would you be OK with?

Would you take Boqvist or Tkachuk at 2nd overall vs Svechnikov and Zadina?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I won't be upset if we get Zadina but not getting a center with 3 top 10 picks in 7 drafts would be a major disappointment. How is the NHL draft set up this year? Is it still a top 3 lottery? Other than 1st, what pick would you be OK with?

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Boqvist

is how I have it right now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's not playing center currently. You can actually watch about half of his BU games on their website for free. If we ended up with Tkachuk I would prefer to have him on the wing, anyways. He is stronk like bull and an absolute beast on the boards, on the cycle, in front of the net.

Interesting. Adding him to Poehling would be an interesting combo for years to come.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Interesting. Adding him to Poehling would be an interesting combo for years to come.

They'd be a lot to handle for any defence, IMO. I've only seen a handful of games of each, but between the two I would prefer Zadina. He seriously impressed me at last U18's, and in the Q he's a total killer. He doesn't ''control'' the game, that I've seen, but he's just dangerous. The opponent doesn't need to make much of a mistake for him to score.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They'd be a lot to handle for any defence, IMO. I've only seen a handful of games of each, but between the two I would prefer Zadina. He seriously impressed me at last U18's, and in the Q he's a total killer. He doesn't ''control'' the game, that I've seen, but he's just dangerous. The opponent doesn't need to make much of a mistake for him to score.

You are correct. I watched him all year and I tend to focus at just watching him during play to see what he does without the puck. He doesn't control the game or stand out very much (like Hischier or Ehlers did) but at the end of the game he has a few points and a goal. The kid can score goals and accumulate points. He comes into the Q as a 17 year old and he don't look out of place. Not easy to come overseas and impress like that.

However, the Mooseheads do have a stacked young team with a 20 year old Fortier. Something to consider. Something else to consider is he is already 18

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Veleno is deep in my 3rd round, I think it is very unlikely that he will put everything together. He just doesn't have the speed to make it naturally.

Speed?

I don't think skating is his issue. Its a strength for me.

His shot is my biggest concern. Both power and accuracy.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Jacob Ragnarsson chugging along at 0.40 ppg in the Allsvenskan. A couple draft year comparables in terms of production are Anton Strålman and Oliver Ekman-Larsson who achieved 0.44ppg. He's outproducing his cousin and team-mate, Detroit 2nd rounder Gustav Lindström. He could be a steal.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
How long is Svechnikov out for ?! Will he miss WJC ?! If so, and if Zadina keeps trending up, I could see some teams taking a flyer on him at #2.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Speed?

I don't think skating is his issue. Its a strength for me.

His shot is my biggest concern. Both power and accuracy.
Absolutely, overall mobility is one of his best asset. No issue there at all, technique or otherwise. Smarts and awareness would be another plus in my book, he does the right things on most plays. What he really lacks is some better than average offensive tools, he's like Chris Higgins in a way

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Absolutely, overall mobility is one of his best asset. No issue there at all, technique or otherwise. Smarts and awareness would be another plus in my book, he does the right things on most plays. What he really lacks is some better than average offensive tools, he's like Chris Higgins in a way

That I can see.

Thats why I say second line upside, and I'm not sure he can be the 1st line centre teams want.

That said franchise centres outside the top 10 is rare... so I don't see him as a bad pick in that range. A solid #2 centre with speed, size and smarts, but lacking dynamic offense. Most teams can still use that. Its not ideal, but its a nice piece.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Habs are going to make the playoffs, barring injuries of course. So unless they make trades to move up they will probably pick in the 16-20 range, many good centers & defencemen to choose from. Veleno, Groulx, Kotkaneimi stand out amongst those picks, Bokk(RW) is a possible 1st line winger. Jett Woo & McIsaac are good defencemen in that range also. With the deep draft the Habs could find a few gems with huge upsides, that need seasoning in the 2nd round. Tkachuk(Dreaming here) is a great LW to play behind Pacioretty, that's after Galchenyuk moves to center. Tkachuk & Poehling + Bokk would be a great line. Forgot to mention Jack McBain(C) again, add him to any pick he's available hopefully our 1st- 2nd rounder. Always keeping in mind that centers converting to wingers is much easier than the other way around.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Just a heads up, you can watch MHL games on youtube for free nowadays. The titles are in cyrillic which might make things difficult for some of you, but they have the team logo on the videos to help you figure out who is playing whom.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm real happy for the kid, he was already a PPG player in the J20 last year, it felt like wasted development opportunity to just have him dominate that level some more this year. I want to see where his game is at against pros.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
My rankings from the WHL at the halfway point of the season.

Forwards:

1) Cole Fonstad
2) Kyle Topping
3) Luka Burzan
4) Milos Roman
5) Brodi Stuart
6) Ryan Chyzowski
7) Riley Sutter
8) Chase Wouters
9) Eric Florchuk
10) Kaid Oliver
11) Vladislav Mikhalchuk
12) Eli Zummack
13) Brett Kemp
14) Jackson Leppard
15) Cole Reinhardt

Defensemen:

1) Ty Smith
2) Calen Addison
3) Jett Woo
4) Alexander Alexeyev
5) Chase Hartje
6) Libor Zábranský
7) Filip Král
8) Alex Kannok-Leipert
9) Wyatte Wylie
10) Montana Onyebuchi
11) Sergei Sapego
12) Mitchell Prowse
13) Dawson Barteaux
14) Roman Kalinichenko
15) Jacob Herauf

Goaltenders:

1) David Tendeck
2) Dean McNabb
3) Max Paddock
4) Todd Scott
5) James Porter Jr.
6) Carl Stankowski

Feel free to ask me to elaborate on any player, or any WHL player I haven't listed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
For those of you who have seen most of the top prospects this year, where are the so called "tiers of talent" in this draft. Is Dahlen in a league of his own? Are the top three in their own tier? Where's the so called drop off's of talent in this draft?

With the way things are going, I'm assuming we have a very god chance of drafting in the top 10 and potentially in the top 5. Who should our targets be depending on where we draft?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
My rankings from the WHL at the halfway point of the season.

Feel free to ask me to elaborate on any player, or any WHL player I haven't listed.
Dang, you really put in the hours this year, great job ! What's the gap between the top 3-4 forward group and the top 3-4 defense group in your opinion ? The latter is obviously a lot better ranked and most of the forwards are not all that well known outside of the west of the country. Thanks a bunch !

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Habs are going to make the playoffs, barring injuries of course.

Not happening this year. Looking at the standings I see Buffalo, Arizona, Florida, Detroit and Vancouver finishing lower for sure. Then Ottawa, Colorado and Philly are a toss up for me. Edmonton should end up doing better.

It's looking like the Sergachev year where we pick in the 8-10 range unless we get lucky in the lottery. There will be some very good prospects in that range after Dahlin, Svechnikov and Boqvist are gone.... Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Kupari, Wahlstrom, Dobson to name a few. We're going to get someone good who we can trade in two years and watch him break out on another better team.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
It's looking like the Sergachev year where we pick in the 8-10 range unless we get lucky in the lottery.
Buffalo, Arizona and Florida will probably finish lower than us, but we're in the mix with Vancouver, Detroit, Ottawa, Edmonton and Colorado. We could realistically be drafting 4th.

I understand the need for a center but this is just not the year for them. Lots of high quality D's and wingers this year. We cant skip on talent if we have a top 5 pick just to get a center and right now, I would take all of these players before Tkachuk. Both Zadina and Svechnikov are better offensively than Tkachuk and Boqvist is an offensive puck moving RHD and is only overshadowed because Dahlin is just a notch above everyone else in this draft.

Tkachuk would be my 6th overall. I gave the edge to Wahlstrom over Tkachuk even though I think he has a better overall game. Wahlstrom is more of a scorer than a playmaker and this team needs more of that.

1-Dahlin
2-Zadina
3-Svechnikov
4-Boqvist
5-Wahlstrom
6-Tkachuk

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Dang, you really put in the hours this year, great job ! What's the gap between the top 3-4 forward group and the top 3-4 defense group in your opinion ? The latter is obviously a lot better ranked and most of the forwards are not all that well known outside of the west of the country. Thanks a bunch !

The defense is definitely way ahead. I'd say the gap goes something like this.

Smith - #5 to #8
Addison - #10 to #20
Woo - #10 to #20
Fonstad - #20 to #60
Topping - #30 to #70
Burzan - #30 to #50

Fonstad and Burzan are the only really potentially "elite" forward talents I'd say. Topping looks like a safe Kole Lind type pick. Very streaky player though.

As for the rest of the forwards, Brodi Stuart stood out to me because of his ability to produce on a mediocre Kamloops team but also the 3 times I've seen him live he seemed to me to be the best forward in each of the games. He creates a lot of chances. Not really sure where I'd slot him in the draft, anywhere from late 2nd to 5th. He's the biggest wild card for me.

Wouters and Kemp were both pretty highly regarded prospects who have fallen victim to playing on abysmal teams (Saskatoon and Edmonton) Wouters reminds me a little bit of Lehkonen. An average-sized offensive buzzsaw with a nice shot. Kemp also has a nice release but also passing skills. Probably 4th round guys.

Riley Sutter is like a poor man's Michael Rasmussen. Big forward. Plays center and wing. Wins a lot of faceoffs, one of the best guys on the dot. Scores his goals by sitting in front of the net and banging home dirty rebounds. I'd take him in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

Milos Roman hasn't been producing as much as expected but he has been playing some very solid hockey. He's a very consistent player, usually finds his way on the scoresheet somehow. I think 2 games is the most he's gone pointless in a row. 3rd rounder for me.

Chyzowski has had somewhat limited ice time but has made the most of it. Has a nose for the net, scores some dirty goals. Works hard for his points. 3rd - 4th rounder.

Florchuk and Oliver are also stuck with limited ice time. They both play on Victoria who is the oldest team in the WHL. They both recently exploded in a game against Kootenay, with Florchuk picking up 5 points (1 G, 4 A) and Oliver 4 points (2G, 2A). Florchuk is definitely the better of the two, and was hovering around PPG for most of the year until Victoria ran into a pretty bad slump. Both took a huge leap forward in development this season though. 3rd-5th round guys.

A few D that surprised me were Wylie and Onyebuchi on Everett. Wylie also took a huge step in development. I noticed his play has improved defensively a lot but I didn't even realize until recently that he's averaging 0.33 PPG which on Everett is a solid feat. Makes some smart passes. Great hockey IQ. I'd take a shot on him in the 5th-7th. Onyebuchi is like your typical enforcer D-man, big, tough, hits everything in sight. Great fighter too. Plays like Emelin or Weber. I've noticed Onyebuchi limit quality shots by forcing opposing forwards to the boards a lot. Definitely hard to play against. He was +5 in Everett's last game. Something good always seems to happen when he's on the ice. Has a hell of a shot too. Always seems to hit the net and generate a quality rebound. He's also made some pretty impressive passes. 6 points and +10 in his last 8 games. I'd also take him 5th - 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad