2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It would be a good year to miss the playoffs and have a top 14 pick, including a possibility tu win one of the top 3 lottery.

That would take a monumental collapse on the defensive side, with the pickups that Bergevin has made on defence, that's not likely.(Barring injuries of course.) Adding Alzner to Petry makes a great 2nd pairing IMHO, Weber is All World on the 1st pairing, Schlemko should be a good partner for him, better than Emelin or Beaulieu, IMHO. But getting one of the Top ive this year would be great, Brady Tkachuk(C/LW), Boqvist(RHD), **Dahlin**(LHD), Svechnikov(RW) or Finnish RHC Rasmus Kupari are all exceptional players. Still top of my list for the Habs is J.Veleno(LHC) probably the top Canadian pick in this draft, he plays a competitive 200 ft. game, much like a Bergeron type center.

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Is 2018 supposed to be a deep draft? With possibly 3 2nd round picks, that would make it quite interesting!

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Is 2018 supposed to be a deep draft? With possibly 3 2nd round picks, that would make it quite interesting!

It depends upon wether the Habs cab claim Merkley, He needs to exceed in the opposing side, He needs to learn to play two way hockey, the only way that's played is by playing in every shift like it was the final play of a long career, mistake free hockey.When players start to play this way, they become great teammates, every other player knows what play he'll make, as each line gets accustomed to the choices he makes, they create a type of chemistry, which can often cause chaos for the Opposing defence, exactly why coaches love having these aces in his lineup to call upon in the dying moments, getting the puck and controlling the game, while holding off the rush is more than efficient. Simple for us fans to write there steps down, but much more difficulty
in their performance, GO Hahs GO !!!... It's usually easier to to yell for them to do it right but these are pofessionals that rarely make gaffes that put their team at risk. GO Habs Go - Merkley can find a spot that will be no use to Buffaloas while good for his teammates!!!...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

It depends upon wether the Habs cab claim Merkley, He needs to exceed in the opposing side, He needs to learn to play two way hockey, the only way that's played is by playing in every shift like it was the final play of a long career, mistake free hockey.When players start to play this way, they become great teammates, every other player knows what play he'll make, as each line gets accustomed to the choices he makes, they create a type of chemistry, which can often cause chaos for the Opposing defence, exactly why coaches love having these aces in his lineup to call upon in the dying moments, getting the puck and controlling the game, while holding off the rush is more than efficient. Simple for us fans to write there steps down, but much more difficulty
in their performance, GO Hahs GO !!!... It's usually easier to to yell for them to do it right but these are pofessionals that rarely make gaffes that put their team at risk. GO Habs Go - Merkley can find a spot that will be no use to Buffalo, while good for his teammates!!!...Of Course the Habs will have to draft him, he could become a new Top Six Player for some team next season. Alongside about 75 hopefuls of making the NHl. My self I want the Habs to draft Joe Veleno(LHC)if available, I think he's just what the Habs will need next year. Depending upon whether they might sign or for Tavares, or Duchene, during this season. If Bergevin pulls a trade for either of these star player's, they will regain their old name of the "Flying Frenchman " GO Habs Go!!!... Speed will win games regularly.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Really like what Veleno is rounding out to be as a prospect. Not as much as offense as I originally thought when he was selected but certainly a smarter defensive game.

I think Groulx has the ability to fall out of the first round. I'll get a few more looks at him during the year but he wasn't impressive to me at all last year.

Gravel is an intriguing goalie prospect, but at this point, I don't think I would select any goalie in this draft before the 3rd round.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wouldn't touch a goalie before the 3rd round either , there's way too much uncertainty development wise. Not that we need more goalies in our system at the moment mind you, we're set for a long time with what we already have.

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
i really think we got a good chance to hit a top 15

i could see bergevin trading the 2nds for a 1st at the draft

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-iss-top-31-october-2017/
The ISS October ranking is just out. McBain at 26 and Merkley at 29 is just crazy town. Addison not even on the top 31.

This message could make me look foolish in few months :laugh:, but I see nothing special in McBain. I think he'll be a 2nd/3rd rounder, maybe even 3rd+. There's about 20-30 forwards and a bunch of defenders with better numbers than him so far this season, and he's playing in the OJHL while others are playing in much better leagues I.E. OHL/WHL/QMJHL/Sweden/Finland/Russia. He has some very intriguing qualities though, he's a 6"3 center who'll be attending Boston College next season, there's a high chance he develops really well.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
This message could make me look foolish in few months :laugh:, but I see nothing special in McBain. I think he'll be a 2nd/3rd rounder, maybe even 3rd+. There's about 20-30 forwards and a bunch of defenders with better numbers than him so far this season, and he's playing in the OJHL while others are playing in much better leagues I.E. OHL/WHL/QMJHL/Sweden/Finland/Russia. He has some very intriguing qualities though, he's a 6"3 center who'll be attending Boston College next season, there's a high chance he develops really well.
I'm not super crazy about him as a first round option per se, I just don't think he'll go anywhere near #26 in the end. I could be wrong obviously ! As for playing in the OJHL is concerned, I've been vocal about that here for other players, that would absolutely go into my evaluation. It's hard to equate what good junior A stats actually mean, outside of the USHL and the BCHL , who both have more of a track record now.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I REALLY liked him at the Hlinka, he plays a super mature, pro-translatable game. Similar to Poehling in a lot of ways, except Olofsson has a good shot, while it's something of a weakness for Poehling right now.

An intriguing target for me right now. If the Habs continue their trend and finish low, a trade up with those seconds to grab him as well, would be very nice.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Can I ask how drafting Merkley- who is sure to go very high in the draft has any impact on the depth of the draft, ie. our 2nd round picks?

@S Bah

Usually when there is a deep draft of high impact prospects, players that lack a two way aspect + size fall to the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Surefire NHLers will abound in the top 31 picks in the upcoming draft, not in their 1st season that's reserved for the very elite players with great sense & vision + size.(Victor Mete, Meat/Rookie aside)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Q viewers have any thoughts on Veleno? Not sure if he'll go top-10... if he's available when we pick I'm sure there's going to be a whole lot of discussion about him

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't see a lot of the Q but from what I hear and read, Veleno is the '' does nothing really great but everything is solid'' type. A bit like a Patrice Bergeron (His defensive game is elite but you get what I'm trying to say) .

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Pelicans vs. Ässät in a few minutes.

Edit1: Pretty quiet period for Kotkaniemi who managed to draw a penalty off a faceoff. He's playing left wing on the 3rd line, no powerplay duties.

Edit2: Pelicans are whoopin' dat ass, so I'll stop watching. Jesperi had some good shifts. What has struck me about him so far is that he's very calm and smart: probably moreso these things than skilled. He's always trying to make the exact right play with the puck and he hasn't coughed up the puck under pressure that I've seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad