2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Evan Bouchard might be the biggest surprise out there for sure, he was absolutely expected to be there. He got outplayed by guys like Noah Dobson and Calen Addison on the right side, who really wanted it more than he did. Inconsistency has been an issue for him in the past, he tends to fade at times. I wonder how that will impact his stock.

I meant Xavier :P

Evan is too old to make it. He was there last year though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Canada and the US both lost their Hlinka opener today in a bit of a shocker. Zavgorodny with 2 goals, he's an interesting second roundish prospect to keep an eye on.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Zadina, Gravel and McIsaac will be worth to watch this season.

Hopefully Newhook comes over as well.

Not expecting much from Groulx.

That seems unlikely, with his commitment to BU. We'll see. Wouldn't be the first guy to make a commitment then change direction (Kyte originally committed to Lake Superior State for example), but most guys probably wouldn't opt out of the chance to develop at a school like BU. As for Groulx, I could see him being another lower-key/profile but high quality complimentary piece like Meier was in the Drouin/Ehlers afterglow, before emerging as one of the top players. I also expect a bit more from Somppi, who sort of plateaued last year. Then there are draftees like Durandeau and Chainey that not many talk about, but should be interesting in the mix.

Should be a fun year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Barrett Hayton is making a name for himself at the Hlinka. If he can have a strong second year with SSM he could very well end up in the late first, right in our general spot. I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Barrett Hayton is making a name for himself at the Hlinka. If he can have a strong second year with SSM he could very well end up in the late first, right in our general spot. I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure.

Stuck behind a bunch of NHL draft picks, he hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do yet. I'm expecting big things once he becomes a go-to guy for them.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It'll be Canada versus Czech republic for the Hlinka gold . Rodrigue gets player of the game honors versus Sweden, who I had as the favorites to win it all. Adam Boqvist is a heck of a talent by the way, I honestly don't see that big of a gap between him and Merkley/McIsaac.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
It'll be Canada versus Czech republic for the Hlinka gold . Rodrigue gets player of the game honors versus Sweden, who I had as the favorites to win it all. Adam Boqvist is a heck of a talent by the way, I honestly don't see that big of a gap between him and Merkley/McIsaac.

Glad Rodrigue is stepping up.

Very strong group of dmen this year from top to bottom.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Canada comes home with the gold at the Hlinka. Veleno and Merkley are the two stand outs for the team in my book, they both really drove the offense for the team. They really made the most of their opportunity, especially since they won't be at the WJHC unless a miracle happens.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Not sure if you watched all the games. Merkley was relegated to power play time only. He's an offensive player with incredible defensive downside. Veleno was strong, as was Smith (solid) and McBain who came through when it counted and was the best forward for Canada IMO. Hayton was a good surprise. The defence in general was strong but Was not as impressive as I thought going in.
Hard to argue with Gold, but in general a very strong team. Great to see after a 5th place last year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Apparently first round hopeful Alexander Khovanov has an illness and could be out for up to 6 months, possibly more. Not much details at the moment. I wonder if we'll see a Klim Kostin type of slip at the draft .

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Apparently first round hopeful Alexander Khovanov has an illness and could be out for up to 6 months, possibly more. Not much details at the moment. I wonder if we'll see a Klim Kostin type of slip at the draft .

That sucks. Went from seeing him in the Q to not seeing him at all this season, basically.

Still early but Hayton is a little low. I'd give an HM to Demin, at this point. Looks like a decent prospect.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Still early but Hayton is a little low. I'd give an HM to Demin, at this point. Looks like a decent prospect.

Can't say I'm all that familiar with Demin, he's got decent stats in the BCHL from what I can see. The Hlinka was the first time I ever saw him play at all and this wasn't a very good year for team USA in general. I'll try and keep an eye on him throughout the year !

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I'd certainly take the risk depending on where the Habs pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad