2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

vgahky.jpg

That goal starting at 6:50 was his 4th point of the period against HV 71. He picked them apart. 4 in white is Alfons Malmström, a Detroit 4th round pick from 2016.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Honestly, well have a pretty strong group with Kotkaniemi, Palin, Ikonen, Evans, Bitten and maybe another 2nd or two picks there. Its not a necessity to add a C, but obviously if theres a quality C you take it.

Um..of COURSE ITS C is a necessity... im not sure how you could say that lol, its a necessity for all 31 NHL teams x4.. and its even MORE so for Montreal..
the god damn GM refuses to trade for one so i sure as hell hope he drafts one somewhere.. kotkaniemi or not.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
If there's anyone in this class who's the closest to a Hagelin/Byron clone, it's Foudy.

Anytime you can get a 20-15 middle-six winger with insane speed and compete levels out of a 2nd, that's good value.

I'd love to snag Foudy with one of our high 2nd rounders.

It will be the 2nd round that defines this draft for the Habs. With 4 picks and tons of talent still on the board, let's swing for the fences at least a couple of times. Foudy, Berggren, Merkley and like. Some big talent please, even if it comes with a degree of risk.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'd love to snag Foudy with one of our high 2nd rounder.

With 4 picks in the 2nd and tons of talent still on the board, let's swing for the fences at least a couple of times. Foudy, Bergeron, Merkley and like. Some big talent please, even I'd it comes with a degree of risk. It will be the 2nd round that defines this draft for the Habs.

It's just too bad about Foudy. When London sold at the deadline he got more opportunity and took off like a rocket. Cat's out of the bag, he goes in the first.

But Barry at 38 on Bob's list? Let's just say I disagree a little bit.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Had a better viewing of Sandin today, rose in my rankings, better skater than I originally thought/heard, strong offensive instincts with from what I have heard high competiteveness to go along with it. Misevaluated him tbh honest, I had him too low. Other than Berggren he would probably be my #1 target if he is available with our 1st 2nd rounder.

I am having a better viewing of some players right now, players are still moving on my list.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind on the two Soo players. I like them both but think they're risky to take too high. Sandin has a lot of skill and poise. Obviously he's not the biggest guy, but my one knock on him is that he's not the meanest guy. He's a bit too friendly out there at times. No real edge that I've seen. He's a bit of a shorter Juolevi in many ways.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I'd be willing to drop three spots by what's been rumoured. Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, Zadina and Dobson are a toss up. All four would be good picks at #3 and at least one of them would still be available at #6. Whichever one is left, pick him and be happy. If Ottawa, Arizona or Detroit is really high on one player and wants to move up, do it.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
The only similarity between Tkachuk and Crouse is that they are big and physical wingers. If you watched Tkachuk play in the WJC versus many of the world's best 19 year olds and couldn't recognize his skill set, I'm afraid you can't be helped. He would have lit up the CHL.

You can discuss it all you want but Tkachuk is ranked anywhere between 3 and 5 in any reputable scouting guide and is #3 according to Bob McKenzie's poll of scouts. He's a consensus top 5 pick. If you think you know better than NHL scouts, I don't know if that's tipping the scale more on the side of ignorance or arrogance.

Tkachuk's skill level and hockey IQ are so underrated on this board. It's beyond silly.
I watched all of Tkachuk's world junior games and about 5 of his games in the NCAA. You're acting like I have him ranked in the 2nd round when I'd take him in the top 10. I see the skill, I see the power and I see the intelligence, but I don't think he's going to suddenly start dominating at the NHL level. I think he'll be a 50-60 point complementary power winger which is still very valuable, but the upsides and talents ahead of him make it well worth passing on him.

Also once again you're relying on the ranking of scouts when they've been shown to overrate players like him.

Reactions: NoQuinn

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'd be willing to drop three spots by what's been rumoured. Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, Zadina and Dobson are a toss up. All four would be good picks at #3 and at least one of them would still be available at #6. Whichever one is left, pick him and be happy. If Ottawa, Arizona or Detroit is really high on one player and wants to move up, do it.
Same, I'd even consider gambling a bit more to move down a few more spots if the return were right. For example, with the draft in Dallas, what if the stars offered 13 and a 1st next year? I'd do it in a heartbeat. At 13 we could get Hayton or Ty Smith.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Same, I'd even consider gambling a bit more to move down a few more spots if the return were right. For example, with the draft in Dallas, what if the stars offered 13 and a 1st next year? I'd do it in a heartbeat. At 13 we could get Hayton or Ty Smith.
Hayton would be such a f***ing let down. You literally have the xhance to get a bluechip prospect on par with Glass/Necas/Pettersson/Heiskanen and you get a prospect that is not even as good as Poehling? Lol. Fn lol.

Reactions: WinterLion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Do not want...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Hayton would be such a ****ing let down. You literally have the xhance to get a bluechip prospect on par with Glass/Necas/Pettersson/Heiskanen and you get a prospect that is not even as good as Poehling? Lol. Fn lol.
And a potential lottery pick next year???

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Wait what? For 3OA?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You kotkanut huggers are too much. The difference between Kotkaniemi and Hayton is well worth a 1st next year from a perrenial lottery team like Dallas.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario

I wouldn't go that low though... maybe four more spots to guarantee that Bouchard, Walhstrom, Hughes or Boqvist would still be there. At 13, I think Veleno is better than Hayton for having seen both play, but they're close.

I could see the Hawks and the Rangers pushing hard to move up. Zadina would look good for the Hawks and Tkachuk would also for the Rangers.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You kotkanut huggers are too much. The difference between Kotkaniemi and Hayton is well worth a 1st next year from a perrenial lottery team like Dallas.
A team with Benn, Seguin, Radulov.

I'm not betting in them being bad.

As for Hayton yes there is a significant difference you might not see it but more likely many scouts does and for a reason.

I could go on and on about Kotkaniemi but let's just say they are not in the same tier.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
A team with Benn, Seguin, Radulov.

I'm not betting in them being bad.

As for Hayton yes there is a significant difference you might not see it but more likely many scouts does and for a reason.

I could go on and on about Kotkaniemi but let's just say they are not in the same tier.
Have not both McKenzie and Button mentioned how Hayton has risen alongside Kotkaniemi during this final stretch? Hayton is a damn good C prospect and reminds me much more of the Schiefele draft than anyone else.

Also Dallas had a very healthy year last year and still couldn't make the playoffs.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
And a potential lottery pick next year???

I'm sorry, but I don't know what our pick this year has to do with a lottery pick next year...

Even if it did, there is no way anyone in the Habs organization is hoping for a lottery pick next year... that's absurd.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm sorry, but I don't know what our pick this year has to do with a lottery pick next year...

Even if it did, there is no way anyone in the Habs organization is hoping for a lottery pick next year... that's absurd.
I'm saying the Dallas pick is a potential lottery pick.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Not in my books. If you have the chance to take a potential game breaker you do it. That's what the draft is all about. I think Hayton will be fine, but I don't see him as a game breaker. Gambling on a 1st next year doesn't make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad