2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not in my books. If you have the chance to take a potential game breaker you do it. That's what the draft is all about. I think Hayton will be fine, but I don't see him as a game breaker. Gambling on a 1st next year doesn't make up for it.
Kotkaniemi is a potential game breaker... youre like a broken record.

Reactions: NoQuinn

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They are moving up from 13 to 3 and giving up a next year asset.

Obviously they don't want to give up 1,2 or 3 + 13 for a 3. So, lottery protection will be a part of the deal, end of story. Now that that's settled, you're giving up 3 for 13 and a 92 pt team's first a year from now, and you're going to give them an off-season to devalue it as much as possible? A team that was a 109 pt team a couple years ago? And they're just adding Heiskanen next year and losing no one?

tenor.gif

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Obviously they don't want to give up 1,2 or 3 + 13 for a 3. So, lottery protection will be a part of the deal, end of story. Now that that's settled, you're giving up 3 for 13 and a 92 pt team's first a year from now, and you're going to give them an off-season to devalue it as much as possible? A team that was a 109 pt team a couple years ago? And they're just adding Heiskanen next year and losing no one?

tenor.gif
Glad you were able to settle where you stand on my spitball spinoff proposal.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I'm having a hard time making up my mind on the two Soo players. I like them both but think they're risky to take too high. Sandin has a lot of skill and poise. Obviously he's not the biggest guy, but my one knock on him is that he's not the meanest guy. He's a bit too friendly out there at times. No real edge that I've seen. He's a bit of a shorter Juolevi in many ways.

That's how I felt about him earlier, but after having a better look at him I consider Sandin hockey sense has an edge in his game and according to Bob Mckenzie scouts rank him top5 of all draft-eligible prospects in competitiveness. He benefited in terms of production from playing on a stacked OHL team, but it also affected his ice time negatively. He also projected well offensively/statistically if you look at his previous seasons in Sweden.

I am not high on Hayton though, too vanilla for me. And I like my vanilla with higher skating speed than that when we speak of a first round pick.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I like Hayton and Smith more than most here.
We all know that.. sometime it also like you always try to go against the tide.

First let's get Veleno! Then let's get Tkachuk!
After the lottery let's get Zadina or bust! Now let's trade down for Hayton?

Like really?

Kotkaniemi was since my first view of him a top 15 prospect this year and the top center in this draft. (in september)

Now fast forward to now. He is still in my mind the top center by a landslide and his stock has raised in the scouting community, so much that there is no way he slips outside top 10.

My first feeling was to trade Pacioretty to get another 1st and get Kotkaniemi this scenario is now out of question.

I would like to trade down a spot or 2 and get him. If this scenario is out of question. Then we just have to draft the Finn. We will not regret it.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My concern with Rasmus Sandin is his offensive game. (I know, again.) I see Sandin as a Mete type, not a guy that will put up points and at that point in the draft Id rather go with a guy that has similar stats and vision on the ice but better tools, like AlexAlex, Lundkvist, Tychonic, Addisson.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I still think trading patches for a pick in the teens in an ideal option if that deal is out there. Its time to stock the pool and plan to be competitive in about 3 yrs time.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
My concern with Rasmus Sandin is his offensive game. (I know, again.) I see Sandin as a Mete type, not a guy that will put up points and at that point in the draft Id rather go with a guy that has similar stats and vision on the ice but better tools, like AlexAlex, Lundkvist, Tychonic, Addisson.

Well, Sandin has a nice point shot and is a great passer. He gets that shot on net or where it can be tipped.

I don't see a Mete comparison, very different.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Dellandrea is pretty much > Hayton anyway

I disagree with this. Dellandrea played on a very poor team and still put up strong numbers. Ive watched him live and think hes an NHL player and will play the 2nd PP unit, PK, and play against top lines.
You win with these type of players. I see a plekanec type roll in the NHL.
Hayton I like as well but struggle with him because he played behind some great players on a stacked team. He could very well explode next year.
I'm no scout so I could be way off base here but this is my opinion.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'd be willing to drop three spots by what's been rumoured. Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, Zadina and Dobson are a toss up. All four would be good picks at #3 and at least one of them would still be available at #6. Whichever one is left, pick him and be happy. If Ottawa, Arizona or Detroit is really high on one player and wants to move up, do it.
I would absolutely add Hugues to that list. We could potentially trade down twice 3 to 5/6 and 5/6 to 8/9 and still get one of those guys. Adding 2019 picks in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad