2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I like Sandin's game. Top 4D potential and I hope he slips a bit. Can't see him slipping to 35 but I'd consider moving down to get him.

I like him a lot as well. Haven't focused on him because he's slotted and likely to be taken where Habs won't have a shot at him.

I don't see him being on the board beyond No. 25.

Playing defense as he does, with minimal mistakes, heads-up outlets, good body positioning while defending and a good point shot means he could go before 20. Wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I'd say don't try to be too fancy, just draft Kotkaniemi at 3 and do the best you can with the 2nd rounders. Trading up for a late first with an early and a late 2nd might be an option, but honestly (especially since Bob's list is out) I don't see much separation in the 20-45 range.

Status quo is the best option at the draft IMO.

I'd much rather have Berggren or Alexeyev at 35 AND Wise or Hillis at 58 than give these two picks to move up and select Dellendrea.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My concern with Rasmus Sandin is his offensive game. (I know, again.) I see Sandin as a Mete type, not a guy that will put up points and at that point in the draft Id rather go with a guy that has similar stats and vision on the ice but better tools, like AlexAlex, Lundkvist, Tychonic, Addisson.

Tychonick can't hold Sandins jock bruh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like him a lot as well. Haven't focused on him because he's slotted and likely to be taken where Habs won't have a shot at him.

I don't see him being on the board beyond No. 25.

Playing defenseas he does, with minimal mistakes, heads-up outlets, good body positioning while defending and a good point shot means he could go before 20. Wouldn't surprise me.

Supply and demand... Not many LD from 20-40 range. I agree he will be taken somewhere from 20-25 range. Could be earlier but 20-25 seems about right. Definitely not slipping past the 1st round.

Another LD guy.. Tychonick. I was surprised to see him at 50 on McKenzie's latest rankings. What's up with this? Most rankings I have seen previously had him as a fringe 1st round pick

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Patch is now the only non-UFA option on the market for top tier wingers. Get 10th+ please.

You have to imagine the Oilers would be willing to move the pick to make their team better now vs later. 10+ return for Patch alone would be something I would love to see. Imagine drafting Kotkaniemi and then having options at getting one of Hughes, Boqvist, or Hayton?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I watched all of Tkachuk's world junior games and about 5 of his games in the NCAA. You're acting like I have him ranked in the 2nd round when I'd take him in the top 10. I see the skill, I see the power and I see the intelligence, but I don't think he's going to suddenly start dominating at the NHL level. I think he'll be a 50-60 point complementary power winger which is still very valuable, but the upsides and talents ahead of him make it well worth passing on him.

Also once again you're relying on the ranking of scouts when they've been shown to overrate players like him.

My main beef with your previous point is that if you watched Tkachuk carefully, you'd know that Crouse is a bad comparison. Tkachuk's playmaking and hockey IQ are far superior which is why he's likely going top 5.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't hate the idea of getting Hayton (by getting a top 15 pick for Patches) but that's because I would have a bit of an unorthodox plan for him. Since everybody expects Hayton to explode next year offensively with a bigger role, I would trade him while his value will be extremely high a la Robert Thomas. I know it's kind of a ridiculous idea but I can see merit behind it.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
My main beef with your previous point is that if you watched Tkachuk carefully, you'd know that Crouse is a bad comparison. Tkachuk's playmaking and hockey IQ are far superior which is why he's likely going top 5.
Of course they're different players, Tkachuk is a good playmaker and a smart player but he's being overrated due to the physical edge and intangibles. I don't see him having a much bigger impact than Farabee for example, and I think his brother has been the better player at each stage of their careers

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can anyone help me out here? I've been looking for guys like Kotkaniemi who skyrocketed into the top 5 due to hype at the end of the year and were ranked 10-15 (+/-) mid season. Looking for guys who had lots of hype later in the year but busted? I found a few who ended up being very good picks and trying to measure this against other busts.

- Pettersson: Mid season rank was 11 and final rank was 7. Would he of been a stretch to take earlier? I think not

- Heiskanen: Mid season rank was 13 and final rank was 3. Bad pick? Good Pick? You tell me.

- PLD: Mid season rank was 8 and final rank was 5. Blue Jackets took him 3rd.

- Keller: Mid season rank was 15 and final rank was 8. Would he of been a bad pick at 3rd? I think not!

- Draisaitl ? Can't find info on him (mid vs final ranking)

There has to be a few picks who where ranked 10-15 range mid season, dropped in rankings at the end of the year due to hype, were taken in the top 5, but busted? Anybody remember any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad