2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
Yes he played center!
Well then... If Kotkaniemi played centre at U18 and was one of the best players in the tournament but played wing all season in Liiga, why is anyone worried about him becoming a wing instead of C. Also, his "skating issues" are way too overrated. He's just an average skater right now. Not elite but not terrible.

Reactions: NoQuinn

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Well then... If Kotkaniemi played centre at U18 and was one of the best players in the tournament but played wing all season in Liiga, why is anyone worried about him becoming a wing instead of C. Also, his "skating issues" are way too overrated. He's just an average skater right now. Not elite but not terrible.

No one has an issue with his max speed.. there's other elements w/ his skating that need a lot of work tho.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I can't say too much about him, if he's our pick then so be it, I'll watch as much of him as I can next year but I saw a few clips and when I saw his skating I thought what the f*** is that. Many were very happy around here at the '12 draft when we got Galchenyuk but his skating/speed certainly impacted his production as he's clearly highly skilled. In today's NHL you are taking a big risk if someone has skating and or foot speed issues. All I hope is that whoever they pick, they get it right.

Reactions: Hannibal

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I am sorry to be offtopic with this question, but are there places that usually show the draft? I would like to watch it with a friend, but the TV's are going to be taken so looking for a place out to watch it. Thanks!

There is a draft party somewhere... I heard an ad on the radio... anyone know where it is?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Imagine how dominant he will be when his skating and balance improves.......he’ll fill out at 6’3....215lbs......he’s gonna be a monster down the middle.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Kupari doesn't scream 3rd liner at all to me, he screams boom or bust. He's insanely talented, way more talented than what his production says. Problem is that usually means there's underlying issues with his game.
I see Hagelin-lite. Has the speed and hands and is good enough defensively to be dangerous offensively, but his brain will prevent him from putting up top six numbers.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Does anyone know if Kotkaniemi played centre at U18's?
yes he did and was very good for a guy who played wing the whole season in the liga, he got better as the tournament progressed and played his best in the final games.. so high chances he ends up as a very good 2-way center...

Reactions: NoQuinn

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Does Chucky's fate impact this draft?

Rumours MB wanted a D in 2012 and was talked into Alex at #3, maybe a reach to land a #1C as he wasn't a guaranteed C

Fast forward 6 years and he's given up on that player (who was totally mismanaged but that's a topic for the other threads, and no doubt Masters Thesis in the future..) and facing the same decision

Does he make another reach to maybe land a #1C in Kotkaniemi at #3, who's also not even guaranteed to be a C, or go with a less risky option at D who's a lock to be Top 4

I think Dobson is the pick and he will point to Chucky as the reason why

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Does Chucky's fate impact this draft?

Rumours MB wanted a D in 2012 and was talked into Alex at #3, maybe a reach to land a #1C as he wasn't a guaranteed C

Fast forward 6 years and he's given up on that player (who was totally mismanaged but that's a topic for the other threads, and no doubt Masters Thesis in the future..) and facing the same decision

Does he make another reach to maybe land a #1C in Kotkaniemi at #3, who's also not even guaranteed to be a C, or go with a less risky option at D who's a lock to be Top 4

I think Dobson is the pick and he will point to Chucky as the reason why
It won’t be Dobson at 3.....Kotkaniemi or Zadina

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Can we just start the welcome to Montreal thread for Kotkaniemi already. He's going to be the pick. Watching the habs try to trade for or sign a center the past couple decades has been painful. This will be a great step in building the center depth for our future along with Poehling.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Kotkaniemi could be top-five pick at 2018 NHL Draft
This article would agree with you with regard to his skating...as would I

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If it’s Dobson, I won’t lose it, I’ll just be a tad disappointed because of what’s left on the table.

Kotkaniemi i just feel now will b their pick, I’m definitely very good with this....finally a skilled centre with size

It'll be so much fun to follow him next year if he's our pick. Seeing what this guy with his skating on the off-season will be like opening a gift on christmas: could be socks, could be an Omega speedmaster.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It'll be so much fun to follow him next year if he's our pick. Seeing what this guy with his skating on the off-season will be like opening a gift on christmas: could be socks, could be an Omega speedmaster.
:laugh:

If he’s this good now, what is his ceiling with improved strength and skating???

I’m guessing it won’t be socks or a Toblerone chocolate bar.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad