Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think the name we might realistically be looking at is Quinn Hughes out of Michigan. That is the position we are in desperate need of help. He is dynamic, offensively skilled, etc...yes and small as well, but could be a bit smaller than Duncan Keith when he makes it..BUT, he seems like the player we would target in that 7-10 range if we pick there.

If Hughes is on the board and we are picking, I would be shocked if Bowman passes on bringing in a dynamo like that for our blue line. He is easily 2-3 years out, but if he is your BPA, how the hell do you pass on him??
i totally agree with everything as you mention. when the Bhawks time come to pick, i truly hope that they do take the best player, not a player who can start right away.

that is the main reason for more wiggle room so the hawks can explore a player from other ways whether that be trade, or fa's.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I just question picking a college player with the 1st round pick seeing as there is always a good chance they don't sign ... especially if we are going into a mini rebuild and miss the playoffs for a year or three. Stan seems to avoid picking from the CHL for some strange reason.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I just question picking a college player with the 1st round pick seeing as there is always a good chance they don't sign ... especially if we are going into a mini rebuild and miss the playoffs for a year or three. Stan seems to avoid picking from the CHL for some strange reason.
Might sound crazy...

IF- Hawks get a solid pick- outside shot they can contribute next year (especially if luck of top 3-lottery)
IF- they Sign Sikura- they will be faster/more skilled
IF- one/two D prospects - PAN out... Mitchell/Tuulola/Carlsson
and If Cap space signs another solid D guy
and IF- one or two of the "Core" return to "Norms"

Hawks have a decent shot to make PO's next year

Does anyone know contracts for Tuulola/Carlsson??? Are they allowed to come to Hawks next year???

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
the biggest problem i see now and especially going forward is many prospects with their bloody fool of an agent chirping in his ear, to force a signing. they want to burn that 1 yr so they can get to the fa market that much earlier.

Sikura is still a concern for me. i remember posting that the Bhawks should have signed him last yr.

my other concern is with ref to my opening sentence, that is why i can really see the org drafting a player whom they think will step in and play, instead of the bpa.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
the biggest problem i see now and especially going forward is many prospects with their bloody fool of an agent chirping in his ear, to force a signing. they want to burn that 1 yr so they can get to the fa market that much earlier.

Sikura is still a concern for me. i remember posting that the Bhawks should have signed him last yr.

my other concern is with ref to my opening sentence, that is why i can really see the org drafting a player whom they think will step in and play, instead of the bpa.

You know the Hawks tried to sign him last season right? You can’t force him to sign.

Sikura is more like Hayden than Hayes. Hayes wanted to sign after his junior season but he had a legit career threatening thigh injury and some off ice issues.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You know the Hawks tried to sign him last season right? You can’t force him to sign.

Sikura is more like Hayden than Hayes. Hayes wanted to sign after his junior season but he had a legit career threatening thigh injury and some off ice issues.
they tried to sign him after camp.

however i have been trying to figure Sikura up side, so he is more like Hayden. many thanks for that info. i appreciate it.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
This is only a thing for late blooming prospects. Something has gone horribly wrong if your first rounder is blooming late.

Reactions: DPHawk

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

They've picked quite a few CHL players in the past two or three drafts. Their 1st Rounder last year is a CHL player.

And I don't think it's wise to not pick a player you feel is the BPA because they're going to college. The fact is, the ones who don't sign after four years are still the exception and not the rule. In my opinion, it'd be foolish to not pick a player based on that reasoning (being afraid you won't be able to sign them).

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This is only a thing for late blooming prospects. Something has gone horribly wrong if your first rounder is blooming late.
this is indeed a ominous trend that seems to be happening lately. i believe that was a reason i believe the owners wanted an extra yr for the prospect to develop , like age 19 instead of what it is age 18. for the Bhawks, it cost them what 1 player i think. disclaimer, i am probably wrong on the players lost.

rhetorical question, is there a remedy that can be done ?? nah, just to have a GM and his dept, who can be more astute in their developmental growth.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They've picked quite a few CHL players in the past two or three drafts. Their 1st Rounder last year is a CHL player.

And I don't think it's wise to not pick a player you feel is the BPA because they're going to college. The fact is, the ones who don't sign after four years are still the exception and not the rule. In my opinion, it'd be foolish to not pick a player based on that reasoning (being afraid you won't be able to sign them).
very true.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Always pick BPA imo.

The NHL is not the NBA or NFL where players just come in and contribute instantly.
i somewhat agree..... the BPA is really subjective to the individual and to the org needs. i have always had a major discussion on BPA, b/c of that subjectivity.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
i somewhat agree..... the BPA is really subjective to the individual and to the org needs. i have always had a major discussion on BPA, b/c of that subjectivity.

Bold is correct with individual meaning the organization drafting team but the underlined is not. Organizational needs mean nothing to best player available.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Bold is correct with individual meaning the organization drafting team but the underlined is not. Organizational needs mean nothing to best player available.
i truly mean no offense. but this is where it always goes south for every discussion.

our opinion, the fans opinion is and will always be different than what the org believe their needs are or should be. they have the final word.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
i truly mean no offense. but this is where it always goes south for every discussion.

our opinion, the fans opinion is and will always be different than what the org believe their needs are or should be. they have the final word.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

Obviously the organization has the final word.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

Obviously the organization has the final word.
and with that final word, they may fine a different way to fix or draft that will be a surprise the fans pov.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Taking BPA means you don't factor in your team's needs. So the word "need" should not be in any sentence where you're talking about BPA.

Reactions: BK

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Here's an example of what BPA is, plain and simple.

You're a team that is desperate for help at F, let's say C specifically, but you have the 1st Overall pick and you can take Dahlin. He's not going to help you at C, but he's the best player on the board (as determined by your staff) so you take him anyway.

That's really the simplest way to put it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Here's an example of what BPA is, plain and simple.

You're a team that is desperate for help at F, let's say C specifically, but you have the 1st Overall pick and you can take Dahlin. He's not going to help you at C, but he's the best player on the board (as determined by your staff) so you take him anyway.

That's really the simplest way to put it.
in your scenario you are talking about the #1 pick in the draft. lets assume it is the 15 pick, the hawks is next. now according to the scouts, on the board the d-men are plenty, esp good one, but several picks projected are forwards. the team are in a big needs for offensive forward help, what will they do.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
in your scenario you are talking about the #1 pick in the draft. lets assume it is the 15 pick, the hawks is next. now according to the scouts, on the board the d-men are plenty, esp good one, but several picks projected are forwards. the team are in a big needs for offensive forward help, what will they do.

You're totally missing the point. Take the same scenario Blue Liner laid out, and swap #1 pick for 15, and change the names.

Reactions: Blue Liner

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

ttXre1S.gif

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
BPA means you take the best player Bro it’s really simple. Take away positions and think who has biggest impact in your organization and you take them

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What LDF says is true. The waters usually get murkier for BPA once you move away from the top few picks of the draft.

it is true, some teams have players ranked even with each other and if they are different positions then that is where things start getting a bit murky like you said as obviously if you need a certain position more than another, the player at that position likely gets picked.

Reactions: LDF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad