Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Veleno to Drummondville

Veleno had exceptional status right? Does that give a team any benefit in terms of he can go to ahl earlier? Since he will have done 3 years jnr already like can he go to ahl at 19 or anything like that?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Veleno had exceptional status right? Does that give a team any benefit in terms of he can go to ahl earlier? Since he will have done 3 years jnr already like can he go to ahl at 19 or anything like that?

His production considering he's in the Q is really worrying Walshy

I'm scared he's a smaller better skating Gauthier and I hate those types of "safe" picks in the 1st round

I'd much rather "swing for the fences" even if the prospect is considered "high risk"

I think he's eligible for the AHL after 4 years of junior (I'm not positive on that though)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've talked about Bouchard and Addison as my favourites around our 1st round pick but Benoit Olivier Groulx is really starting to grow on me. I always saw him as an early/mid 2nd round pick but I think he creeps up in the first round. He's got solid all around skill.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Veleno definitely stands out when you watch him live, but he did very little, production-wise, on a poor Sea Dogs team this year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i think it was 93leafs said a few pages back the C's in our range (pick 20-31) arent any better than using Nylander at C. I think thats a great point especially for the smaller ones in this range the sub 6' ones. if on their list a C is BPA on the list do it but outside of the top 15~ targeting C's gets you a player like Gauthier a definite C but one who tops out as likely a 4C

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
i think it was 93leafs said a few pages back the C's in our range (pick 20-31) arent any better than using Nylander at C. I think thats a great point especially for the smaller ones in this range the sub 6' ones. if on their list a C is BPA on the list do it but outside of the top 15~ targeting C's gets you a player like Gauthier a definite C but one who tops out as likely a 4C

There's a few guys that might go mid to early 20's that I'd have some interest in that play center

Olofsson and Groulx for instance

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
There's a few guys that might go mid to early 20's that I'd have some interest in that play center

Olofsson and Groulx for instance

ok im fine with it but not with targeting one above all else. I think id accept targeting dmen just not C's unless they are higher end, like very good chance to be a 2C say

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
ok im fine with it but not with targeting one above all else. I think id accept targeting dmen just not C's unless they are higher end, like very good chance to be a 2C say

If you end up with a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman it's a bloody good pick in that range

I'd go for the guy with the most upside in that range even if there's a lot of risk surrounding that player (McBain)

I wouldn't mind taking a defenseman but it's hard to know who or what's going to be available at our pick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Could someone who's seen this guy give me a lil more deeper analysis about him. I'm really starting to like this guy and would be happy to get him to our c depth.

Benoit-Olivier Grouix

He seems like my ideal 3rd line type of center that could play up at times (Gritty, defensively responsible, hard working, a bit of skill) but I would be hesitant to take him at 28. Maybe with our early second rounder but not our first. I like him a lot though, just think the offense is not there for a round 1 pick.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Right now my top choices in terms of who will realistically be there at are pick:

Unrealistic:
Joel Farabee
Ty Smith
Bode Wilde
Noah Dobson

Moderately Unrealistic:
Mattias Samuelsson
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Barrett Hayton
Isac Lundestrom

Moderately Realistic:
Jett Woo
Jack McBain
Akil Thomas

Realistic:
Joe Veleno
K'Andre Miller
Dominik Bokk
Evan Bouchard
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Right now my top choices in terms of who will realistically be there at are pick:

Unrealistic:
Joel Farabee
Ty Smith
Bode Wilde
Noah Dobson

Moderately Unrealistic:
Mattias Samuelsson
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Barrett Hayton
Isac Lundestrom

Moderately Realistic:
Jett Woo
Jack McBain
Akil Thomas

Realistic:
Joe Veleno
K'Andre Miller
Dominik Bokk (2nd round only though)

Evan Bouchard
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

Obviously things will change, but I'm looking at the bolded.

Allan McShane is another guy. There will be some good C's and defensemen where we are going to draft, so I'm not worried about the first round until later on. I'm more looking at steals in later rounds to replenish some of the youth in our system. I think we look at drafting some 99's and 00's who we can bring up to the AHL relatively soon with our earlier picks, but will continue to stash with our 4-7 round picks.

Some of our stashed guys from the 2014-2016 drafts will start coming through in the next few years when our 94's, 95's and 96's start to graduate, but we should start looking at the 99's and 00's to bring in as well.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Obviously things will change, but I'm looking at the bolded.

Allan McShane is another guy. There will be some good C's and defensemen where we are going to draft, so I'm not worried about the first round until later on. I'm more looking at steals in later rounds to replenish some of the youth in our system. I think we look at drafting some 99's and 00's who we can bring up to the AHL relatively soon with our earlier picks, but will continue to stash with our 4-7 round picks.

Some of our stashed guys from the 2014-2016 drafts will start coming through in the next few years when our 94's, 95's and 96's start to graduate, but we should start looking at the 99's and 00's to bring in as well.

Yeah, those are my guys too. I would add Woo though, I really like his all-around game. I think Bokk climbs into the late first. I'm a little skittish on McBain but he has upside obviously.

McShane is in that similar ilk of player to Veleno and Groulx where you're not sure about their offensive upside except his tools are not as good. I do like him though especially in the early 2nd. Could be an O'Reilly type.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, those are my guys too. I would add Woo though, I really like his all-around game. I think Bokk climbs into the late first. I'm a little skittish on McBain but he has upside obviously.

McShane is in that similar ilk of player to Veleno and Groulx where you're not sure about their offensive upside except his tools are not as good. I do like him though especially in the early 2nd. Could be an O'Reilly type.

I do not think he would be in our range. Same reason why I did not bold Thomas or any of those higher guys. I think McBain could be though. Not interested in Veleno, although we'll see if he does better going to a top QMJHL team now, and I think Bouchard is going to rocket up by the end of the year.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think C has to be a top consideration. There is some good depth on D if you think Liljegren is top 2 and Dermott top 4-5. But if a top 6 Pf is there?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wonder if Damien Giroux out of the OHL might be an interesting mid round pick?

He's scoring close to a PPG on a team that isn't great offensively

He's a pretty small dude so I doubt he could stick at center but he'd be interesting as a winger, the kid scores some goals

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I expect the trend towards size to continue. We have many small, skilled guys who will want ice time sooner.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Care to enlighten moi ?
He's never stacked out well by age in regards to scoring, being barely a ppg player as an 18 year old in the CHL doesn't scream first rounder to me. I don't think he works as hard as his brother (who I'm not that big a fan of anyway) and I don't think he has a great shot. It makes me project him as a likely winger in a teams top 6 or a 3rd line center. I've never been a fan of the McLeod's. Watching him, his brother and Owen Tippett on the cycle can actually be infuriating. Great players off the rush due to speed, but I don't think any of them have the IQ to slow the game down.

Reactions: Jeypic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad