Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wilde is nice but I don't think he would be there when we're up right?
It is still really early. Everything past the top 7 or so are still in heavy flux.

I'd think its unlikely any of these guys fall out of the lottery in Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, and Boqvist. But, past that, I see a wide range of where guys are ranked. Guys like Kupari, Farabee, and Ty Smith are probably not likely to fall out, but more likely than the above too. Past that? It is a bit of a free for all. How you rank Dobson, McIsaac, Merkely, Woo, M. Samuelson, Evan Bouchard, K'Andre Miller, Wilde, Addison and Alexeyev is wide open. I don't see Wilde falling outside the top 20, just due to his skill set, his tools are too elite even if he lacks hockey-iq (I can see perception around him similar to Chychrun after Chychruns stock imploded in the 2nd half). But, given the Leafs probably have a first around 20, and 2 2nds, if Wilde is a guy we love, we may have the ammunition to move up for him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It is still really early. Everything past the top 7 or so are still in heavy flux.

I'd think its unlikely any of these guys fall out of the lottery in Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, and Boqvist. But, past that, I see a wide range of where guys are ranked. Guys like Kupari, Farabee, and Ty Smith are probably not likely to fall out, but more likely than the above too. Past that? It is a bit of a free for all. How you rank Dobson, McIsaac, Merkely, Woo, M. Samuelson, Evan Bouchard, K'Andre Miller, Wilde, Addison and Alexeyev is wide open. I don't see Wilde falling outside the top 20, just due to his skill set, his tools are too elite even if he lacks hockey-iq (I can see perception around him similar to Chychrun after Chychruns stock imploded in the 2nd half). But, given the Leafs probably have a first around 20, and 2 2nds, if Wilde is a guy we love, we may have the ammunition to move up for him.

I would love to get what every team wants; a stud defenseman who is physical, skilled, can play 2-ways, pp, pk, 5v5 monster. Drew Doughty basically lol.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would love to get what every team wants; a stud defenseman who is physical, skilled, can play 2-ways, pp, pk, 5v5 monster. Drew Doughty basically lol.
Are you referring to a particular player here (Wilde?)?

Outside of Dahlin, I don't see anyone comparable to Doughty. Although, I didn't think that of McAvoy, and he's clearly emerging as a prospect of that level.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Are you referring to a particular player here (Wilde?)?

Outside of Dahlin, I don't see anyone comparable to Doughty. Although, I didn't think that of McAvoy, and he's clearly emerging as a prospect of that level.

Yeah, no one in particular but we need to hit that type of home run. Liljegren has the potential to be something to that effect minus any physical edge.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, no one in particular but we need to hit that type of home run. Liljegren has the potential to be something to that effect minus any physical edge.
It'd be a big home run to hit. Most young D are erratic.

Personally, for this draft outside of the top 12 (I'd eliminate Dahlin, Boqvist, Hughes, Smith), I am partial to the guys who are a bit safer but have a strong 2-way game. I'd have Dobson (who I think has Pietrangelo upside, but his game is more subtle than guys like Merkley or Wilde), Woo and Mattias Samuelson. Dobson and Woo are both right-sided also.

The way Rielly has stepped up this year now that he has an adequate partner who can allow him to play his game makes me less worried about finding a franchise #1 defender. I think we might have one, and he is entering the age where most start to emerge and cement themselves as such.

Although, at the end of the day, I'm not too picky about who we take in the 20's. Past the top 10 the draft your chances of getting a long-term contributor as a top 6 forward, top 4 D or starting goalie is at best a coinflip in the 10-20 range, and is likely 40% in the 20's at best. Given those odds, you have to measure the probabilities and take the guy who has the best chance to become that. The only position where franchise players come almost exlusively in the top 10, and rarely outside the 1st round (Basically only Bergeron) in center. Other positions you can gamble on projectable tools in the 2nd round and sometimes have a bit hit. I mean, how many of the leagues best defenders were taken in the 2nd round? Off the top of my head, there is Josi, Keith, Weber, Subban, and Vlasic.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It'd be a big home run to hit. Most young D are erratic.

Personally, for this draft outside of the top 12 (I'd eliminate Dahlin, Boqvist, Hughes, Smith), I am partial to the guys who are a bit safer but have a strong 2-way game. I'd have Dobson (who I think has Pietrangelo upside, but his game is more subtle than guys like Merkley or Wilde), Woo and Mattias Samuelson. Dobson and Woo are both right-sided also.

The way Rielly has stepped up this year now that he has an adequate partner who can allow him to play his game makes me less worried about finding a franchise #1 defender. I think we might have one, and he is entering the age where most start to emerge and cement themselves as such.

Although, at the end of the day, I'm not too picky about who we take in the 20's. Past the top 10 the draft your chances of getting a long-term contributor as a top 6 forward, top 4 D or starting goalie is at best a coinflip in the 10-20 range, and is likely 40% in the 20's at best. Given those odds, you have to measure the probabilities and take the guy who has the best chance to become that. The only position where franchise players come almost exlusively in the top 10, and rarely outside the 1st round (Basically only Bergeron) in center. Other positions you can gamble on projectable tools in the 2nd round and sometimes have a bit hit. I mean, how many of the leagues best defenders were taken in the 2nd round? Off the top of my head, there is Josi, Keith, Weber, Subban, and Vlasic.

Insightful post, thanks.

I think hockey IQ, skill, are all huge. Subtle isn't a bad thing. We have a lot of flash on the team already. A simple game like Hainsey is needed in some cases, just good old fashioned defense, but if you can contribute 50 points at the same time it would be great ;)

edit: read up on Dobson, he sounds pretty good. Would have to trade up for him by the sounds of it. I am comfortable in using a 2nd to do it if he's the right guy.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Insightful post, thanks.

I think hockey IQ, skill, are all huge. Subtle isn't a bad thing. We have a lot of flash on the team already. A simple game like Hainsey is needed in some cases, just good old fashioned defense, but if you can contribute 50 points at the same time it would be great ;)

edit: read up on Dobson, he sounds pretty good. Would have to trade up for him by the sounds of it. I am comfortable in using a 2nd to do it if he's the right guy.

Jett Woo

He's everything I'd look for in a defender, he plays every situation and has good size and almost all of the posters who watch the WHL rave about how good and well rounded the kids game is

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There's this dude called JVR that could bring in at least a late 1st that we could add our 2 2nd's to that 1st

So 2 of Woo/Dobson/Samuelson in one draft
What a dream that would be

Yeah but it's not happening.

Bozak for a 2nd?

Trade 2 2nds for a 1st to grab Woo/Dobson, grab a centre in the 2nd. Yay prospect pool.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah but it's not happening.

Bozak for a 2nd?

Trade 2 2nds for a 1st to grab Woo/Dobson, grab a centre in the 2nd. Yay prospect pool.

I don't think 2 2nd's is going to get you far enough up the board to get those guys

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hope we can get 2 2nds for Bozak and move 3 2nds :P

He's probably worth a late 1st with the amount of teams needing centers right now, the Penguins would throw the kitchen sink at it I'd imagine

I'm not sure we'd trade him in conference though

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Don't see why we won't be able to add to our pick pool by trading Bozak and Komarov. I can see a late 1st and prospect or two 2nds easily acquired for Bozak. As for Komarov, a third an lower prospect should get it done.

We can then package what we get along with our own first to move up in the 1st round in the top 1o. Two 1sts and two 2nds should get it done.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Got to trade him first though

I think Nylander has went PT/Game since moving to centre. You could even leave him with the same linemates and give Matthews Bozak's wingers.

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Hyman
Martin-Moore-?

Leivo or Kapanen can have that spot.

Bozak gets us a 1st.

Just need to deploy Nylander like you would Bozak. He'll give you the offense and probably better defense then Bozak has.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think Nylander has went PT/Game since moving to centre. You could even leave him with the same linemates and give Matthews Bozak's wingers.

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Hyman
Martin-Moore-?

Bozak gets us a 1st.

Just need to deploy Nylander like you would Bozak. He'll give you the offense and probably better defense then Bozak has.

Agreed

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Hyman
Martin-Moore-?

Bozak gets us a 1st.

I like it, it'll never happen but I like it

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Give up the pipedream of trading Bozak. Lou and Babcock aren't trading Bozak for futures when the team is gunning for a playoff spot. Only way Bozak gets moved if it is part of a deal which gets us futures we can immediately flip to improve our RHD.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Give up the pipedream of trading Bozak. Lou and Babcock aren't trading Bozak for futures when the team is gunning for a playoff spot. Only way Bozak gets moved if it is part of a deal which gets us futures we can immediately flip to improve our RHD.

I know it's not going to happen but I'd be willing to risk this season to pick up enough assets to take a serious run at drafting Dobson or Woo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know it's not going to happen but I'd be willing to risk this season to pick up enough assets to take a serious run at drafting Dobson or Woo
I think it'd be stupid to take momentum away from a young team. It sends the wrong message at this point. I'd trust Babcock and Lou on what it takes to build a winning culture in the NHL. Its why I was fine with the Boyle move at the time. We have most of the young horses we need to build a winning team, that isn't worth increased odds of drafting a guy who has a 40% chance roughly of being a long-term top 4 defender.

Do you want a culture where guys take discounts to stay? Trying to win, and not hurting momentum for future assets is something you need in regards to sending a message. I don't think the dressing room would receive a deal that sends Bozak for futures well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad