Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I still think the Leafs go defense or wing at our pick but for those who want a centre, Ty Dellandrea and Jake Wise are at least playing themselves into the conversation.

Dellandrea wouldn't be a reach for our late 1st. I think if you traded down to the early 2nd, there's a better chance he's off the board. Just think the idea of trading down to get Dellandrea + is somewhat impractical but I could be wrong.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
From a long term POV, one could make a reasonable case that a pure skill winger is one of the orgs bigger needs.

Most of the wingers taken the past couple drafts have been grinders and 4ish years down the line the Leafs will likely need a skill injection

Well 4 years down the line is when we will need them, so it's fine. I doubt there will be as many raw projects this year, and besides maybe one earlier pick and one later pick, not too much on defense either.

Top 6 Center Prospects: None
Bottom 6 Center Prospects: Brooks, Kara, McGregor, Joshua, Gauthier, Aaltonen

Top 6 Wing Prospects: Johnsson, Korshkov, Kapanen, Grundstrom, Bracco
Bottom 6 Wing Prospects: Timashov, Engvall, Dzierkals, Moore, Piccinich, Bobylev, Vesey, Herzog, Marchment, Chebykin

Top 4 Prospects: Dermott, Liljegren, Rasanen
Bottom Pairing Prospects: Borgman, Rosen, Middleton, Gordeev, Lindgren, Nielsen, O'Connell, Mattinen

Goalie Prospects: Woll, Scott, Sparks, Pickard, Kaskisuo

Personally, I would trade down from the 1st round to get two 2nd round picks, and make sure we have 3 top 60 picks. That way we can select two top 6 center prospects and a top 4 defenseman with skill. 3rd and 4th round I'd add one more center prospect and one more big winger with some skill probably. With the last three picks, three Euro/NCAA stashes or guys who have good skill but maybe dropped a little bit. Doesn't matter which position as long as they have some upside, but ideally one could be a goalie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dellandrea wouldn't be a reach for our late 1st. I think if you traded down to the early 2nd, there's a better chance he's off the board. Just think the idea of trading down to get Dellandrea + is somewhat impractical but I could be wrong.

Well someone would have to drop there, and no matter what you are going to get someone with that level of quality. Dellandrea is not that special where it would be devastating if we did not get him. Anyone else in that range is just as exciting. Would rather get two of them than just one as a result.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Well someone would have to drop there, and no matter what you are going to get someone with that level of quality. Dellandrea is not that special where it would be devastating if we did not get him. Anyone else in that range is just as exciting. Would rather get two of them than just one as a result.

Maybe, I guess it depends who's still on the board and how low we pick. I like Miller, Samuelsson, Denisenko enough to have them in my teens (and to a lesser extent, Alexeyev) and think it would be a mistake to exit their range (unless they are off the board). There's guys I haven't seen enough, or at all to have an opinion on though (Kravstov, Bokk, Lundestrom).

Miller is polarizing and I'm not sold on the Badgers as an optimal developmental route for him but his tools and projection are too much for me to overlook.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Well 4 years down the line is when we will need them, so it's fine. I doubt there will be as many raw projects this year, and besides maybe one earlier pick and one later pick, not too much on defense either.

Bottom 6 Wing Prospects: Timashov, Engvall, Dzierkals, Moore, Piccinich, Bobylev, Vesey, Herzog, Marchment, Chebykin

Bottom Pairing Prospects: Borgman, Rosen, Middleton, Gordeev, Lindgren, Nielsen, O'Connell, Mattinen

Personally, I would trade down from the 1st round to get two 2nd round picks, and make sure we have 3 top 60 picks. That way we can select two top 6 center prospects and a top 4 defenseman with skill. 3rd and 4th round I'd add one more center prospect and one more big winger with some skill probably. With the last three picks, three Euro/NCAA stashes or guys who have good skill but maybe dropped a little bit. Doesn't matter which position as long as they have some upside, but ideally one could be a goalie.

This is exactly what I want. The names in this draft aren't really screaming at me. Honestly it seems like past about 15, maybe 20, it gets pretty muddy and I'm getting the feeling 20-50 is pretty interchangeable. We are at the point where we need quality over quantity, but if the quantity where we are isn't greater than spots below, might as well trade down.

Getting two centres in the top 60 would also be really nice.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Unless a C slides (Veleno, Kotkaniemi, Hayton), you go D with our 1st pick in this draft. It is very deep D wise and you could get a really good D prospect in the late-1st. Next year however appears to be the flip side. There is a ton of highly touted C's in the 2019 draft.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Unless a C slides (Veleno, Kotkaniemi, Hayton), you go D with our 1st pick in this draft. It is very deep D wise and you could get a really good D prospect in the late-1st. Next year however appears to be the flip side. There is a ton of highly touted C's in the 2019 draft.

People make claims like this every draft, and truth of the matter is we don't know whether its a "'deep D draft" or not until a couple years afterwards. Go BPA always IMHO. Its fine to hope for a C or a D... but at the end of the day, I trust Hunter and Co. to make the right selection.

There also seems to be people that claim "This is going to be a weak draft" months in advance... they're rarely right...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This kid is draft eligible this year. Commited to play for Denver next year. Small, skilled centerman that I wouldn't mind selecting in the 4th or 5th round.

Seems like the kind of player Hunter would select too.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This kid is draft eligible this year. Commited to play for Denver next year. Small, skilled centerman that I wouldn't mind selecting in the 4th or 5th round.

Seems like the kind of player Hunter would select too.

Committed to Denver Junior High School? The kid looks like he’s 12

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I liked @93LEAFS suggestion of Samuelsson. Could be a very complimentary partner for a guy like Liljegren down the line.

You don't draft complementary players in the 20s.

Especially for specific players that have yet to even develop to NHL calibre.

Hunter should go BPA and if all is equal, go BPA at a position you need.

Really excited about the draft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You don't draft complementary players in the 20s.

Especially for specific players that have yet to even develop to NHL calibre.

Hunter should go BPA and if all is equal, go BPA at a position you need.

Really excited about the draft.

Okay, Samuelsson is a good defensive defenseman in his own right, he happens to play a style that compliments a lot of our players anyway.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Leafs no longer hold Herzogs rights. He was let go along with Korostelev a while ago.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Okay, Samuelsson is a good defensive defenseman in his own right, he happens to play a style that compliments a lot of our players anyway.

I have never been a fan of drafting defensive defencemen in the 1st round.

Is his prospective defensive game all that much better than something we won't be able to fill through trade and/or development of existing players?

A defensive defenceman better be near elite in his own end in order to pick him that high. You can find guys like Josh Manson or Colton Parayko in the draft. You don't need to overdraft a guy and end up with a Jared Tinordi.

I don't know a lot about Samuelsson. His USHL numbers are good. But if he's projected to be a defensive defenceman, no thanks.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I have never been a fan of drafting defensive defencemen in the 1st round.

Is his prospective defensive game all that much better than something we won't be able to fill through trade and/or development of existing players?

A defensive defenceman better be near elite in his own end in order to pick him that high. You can find guys like Josh Manson or Colton Parayko in the draft. You don't need to overdraft a guy and end up with a Jared Tinordi.

I don't know a lot about Samuelsson. His USHL numbers are good. But if he's projected to be a defensive defenceman, no thanks.

He plays a safer game from what I know but he's not one of those old school guys that can't handle the puck. He just wouldn't be like Morgan Rielly in his ability to rush the puck.

He's just one option of many that will or will not be there for us.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
He plays a safer game from what I know but he's not one of those old school guys that can't handle the puck. He just wouldn't be like Morgan Rielly in his ability to rush the puck.

He's just one option of many that will or will not be there for us.

The last time we drafted for need or a depth role, we took Frederik Gauthier. I hated it at the time but naturally I tried to make the best of it shortly after the draft.

It was a wasted pick.

There is no point in drafting a potential defensive defenceman in the 20s. You go after guys that can be effective defensively and contribute offensively.

Like a Travis Dermott.

I also don't like the idea of falling in love with size when the player has less skill than some of the other options we may have.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The last time we drafted for need or a depth role, we took Frederik Gauthier. I hated it at the time but naturally I tried to make the best of it shortly after the draft.

It was a wasted pick.

There is no point in drafting a potential defensive defenceman in the 20s. You go after guys that can be effective defensively and contribute offensively.

Like a Travis Dermott.

I also don't like the idea of falling in love with size when the player has less skill than some of the other options we may have.

I hated the Gauthier pick too.

I don't think the numbers are terrible

Mattias Samuelsson

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Mattias Samuelsson

K'Andre Miller would be a decent swing for the fences pick, he's got top pair type tools but there's significant risk attached to him getting to that level

I think with how we're developing guys now days he's worth the risk because if he's got any top 4 ability in him we'll find it

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Mattias Samuelsson

I'm not a big fan of Samuelsson. He didn't have a great Five Nations according to many on the main board. I've also heard he's a good skater but when I've seen him, it looks more like good skater for a big guy rather than a good skater period.

Also I've heard that while he'll make a lot of "safe" plays defensively they aren't necessarily always the best plays; that a guy with more creativity or who's less risk averse would make something more out of it.

I might rather have the high risk/ reward of Miller. I'm also taking a liking to Jake Wise's skillset at our pick. He seems to be rising fast. Having said that, of course I'll go with whatever Hunter picks and support it, and it might be cool adding another legacy along with Willy and Kasperi.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

It was a wasted pick.

Like a Travis Dermott.

If we could find a right handed Dermott that would be epic. Someone with more of an all around game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad