Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I wonder what the policy will be regarding small skilled wingers? Hunter and co. have been drafting a ton of small skilled guys: Marner, Bracco, Timashov, Dzierkals, added to Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Soshnikov, Johnsson. Some teams like Ottawa are overdrafting centermen so they have more versatility in their forward group. I wonder if that's a direction the Leafs will go in?

Leafs haven't drafted small wingers the last 2 years apart from Walker.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Neither Bouchard in the 1st round and Veleno and Merkley in the 20's

Interesting
Merkley has looked terrible in most of my viewings this year. The kid just doesn't care if he doesn't have the puck, which is a horrifying trait in a defender. Great Skill and skating, 10 cent brain, and work ethic.

I've felt most of the year that Veleno is really overrated. Great skater and works hard, but I don't think he has the vision or IQ to be above a 2nd line center. He reminds me of Mikey McLeod but with a better shot and not quite as prone to taking it into the corner and killing plays.

I'm interested to see how the U-18 defenders develop, they could be interesting guys to keep an eye on. Dobson is also a notable riser.

Reactions: TheFloater

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Merkley has looked terrible in most of my viewings this year. The kid just doesn't care if he doesn't have the puck, which is a horrifying trait in a defender. Great Skill and skating, 10 cent brain, and work ethic.

I've felt most of the year that Veleno is really overrated. Great skater and works hard, but I don't think he has the vision or IQ to be above a 2nd line center. He reminds me of Mikey McLeod but with a better shot and not quite as prone to taking it into the corner and killing plays.

I'm interested to see how the U-18 defenders develop, they could be interesting guys to keep an eye on. Dobson is also a notable riser.

Would you take Veleno if we were picking early 20's?
Do you know who O'Brien is? I've hardly seen him mentioned as a potential first rounder

I happily take McShane, Noel, or Khovanov in that scenario.

Is Khovanov playing yet? Him getting hepatitis has made picking him in the first round a bit of a *****

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do you know who O'Brien is? I've hardly seen him mentioned as a potential first rounder

Is Khovanov playing yet? Him getting hepatitis has made picking him in the first round a bit of a *****
I'd consider gambling on him, but I expect someone to take him before the early 20's and I'd be fine with it. He looks more like a 3rd line center now than a potential 1st liner.

O'brein is a prep late birthday who got some time with the U-18's. I don't know too much about him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I would.

I'm not sure if he will be an offensive force of any sort in the NHL but I think he will be a solid centre in the ilk of Sean Couturier.

I'd also like to see the Leafs splash in a few Canadian picks as it's always nice to be able to cheer for our boys on Team Canada at the world juniors at Christmas.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Interesting guy to keep an eye on is Dominik Bokk. Hearing great reviews on him and could be a big time riser.

He's a German kid who signed up with the Växjö Lakers HC of the SHL this year. He's managed to work himself up from J20 to getting some time with the SHL team. He also had a very strong U-18 last year as a 16-year-old in the lower division tournament. Hockey Prospect Swedish scout talks about him a bit in this latest segment on The Pipeline Show.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really like Calen Addison. I hope he can make it our pick if we still have a 1st rounder of course.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs haven't drafted small wingers the last 2 years apart from Walker.

McGregor is likely going to become a winger unless his FO ability improves, and he's kind of built like Brown. 6'0", 159 lbs with speed and two-way skill.

Although he is also a center and was drafted as one so that may not count.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Interesting guy to keep an eye on is Dominik Bokk. Hearing great reviews on him and could be a big time riser.

He's a German kid who signed up with the Växjö Lakers HC of the SHL this year. He's managed to work himself up from J20 to getting some time with the SHL team. He also had a very strong U-18 last year as a 16-year-old in the lower division tournament. Hockey Prospect Swedish scout talks about him a bit in this latest segment on The Pipeline Show.

I know a bit about him because he was drafted by Prince Albert. He's supposed to be the best German since Draisaitl. Possibly the second best German forward ever. Mid-late 2nd or high 3rd round type of pick IMO. Like 45-70 range.

He was my pick with the later of our 2nd's I think. I had McShane with our 1st, and I think Anderson MacDonald with our other 2nd. So a center, a power forward with sniping ability and another big guy with skill. Pretty much just stuck with the guys I knew :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know a bit about him because he was drafted by Prince Albert. He's supposed to be the best German since Draisaitl. Possibly the second best German forward ever. Mid-late 2nd or high 3rd round type of pick IMO. Like 45-70 range.
Seems with his start to the year he's starting to get some 1st round recognition. I know Hockey Prospect put him in their most recent top 31. But, right now he seems to be firmly a 2nd elsewhere.

I'm excited to see what Button does with his next list. He usually does one around late Nov/early Dec. Him, HockeyProspect and McKenzie are the guys I pay attention to the most.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He was my pick with the later of our 2nd's I think. I had McShane with our 1st, and I think Anderson MacDonald with our other 2nd. So a center, a power forward with sniping ability and another big guy with skill. Pretty much just stuck with the guys I knew :laugh:

Is McShane the kid playing in the OHL with Oshawa? How does he look and what are his pluses and minuses

Seems with his start to the year he's starting to get some 1st round recognition. I know Hockey Prospect put him in their most recent top 31. But, right now he seems to be firmly a 2nd elsewhere.

I'm excited to see what Button does with his next list. He usually does one around late Nov/early Dec. Him, HockeyProspect and McKenzie are the guys I pay attention to the most.

Have you seen or heard anything about the McBain kid? He looks like a prototypical big center but I've hardly heard of the league he's playing in

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Is McShane the kid playing in the OHL with Oshawa? How does he look and what are his pluses and minuses

Have you seen or heard anything about the McBain kid? He looks like a prototypical big center but I've hardly heard of the league he's playing in

I don't know much about McShane other than he could be an excellent two-way forward. He is good at faceoffs, I think he's pretty good in his own end, and can score. I think he's the type of guy you'd love to take every year at the end of the 1st round, because he has an outside potential to become an O'Reilly type game changer, but even if he doesn't he could become a really important 2/3C with two-way ability that you will need in any playoff run. Not elite, but very solid with untapped potential and underrated upside. Like Robert Thomas last year. That's what I am thinking anyways.

And for McBain, I don't think he's the type of guy the Leafs will go for. He's big and works hard, but even the Leafs typically aim higher in the skill category. McBain looks like one of those good 2nd round picks that turn out, but not someone I would try to get in the 1st round. At least not right now. Maybe a WJC will do wonders for him. He needs to go up against better competition. The WJC and dominating the BCHL is how Jost went really high. McBain isn't dominating the OJHL, so a strong WJC is the only thing going for him. A weak or non-existent WJC, and a non dominant OJHL season could drop him down to a 2-4 round pick...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McShane is a generally smart player, but really lacks anything that makes him special. I wouldn't take him in the first.

I've seen McBain. He's been on and off. He isn't tearing up the league as expected. He should play in the World Jr A challenge and potentially the U-18, which should give a better reflection of where he stands against his draft class.

If we are looking at centers around 20, the guy who intrigues me is Olofsson. I'd probably take Hayton or McBain over McShane.

I don't know much about McShane other than he could be an excellent two-way forward. He is good at faceoffs, I think he's pretty good in his own end, and can score. I think he's the type of guy you'd love to take every year at the end of the 1st round, because he has an outside potential to become an O'Reilly type game changer, but even if he doesn't he could become a really important 2/3C with two-way ability that you will need in any playoff run. Not elite, but very solid with untapped potential and underrated upside. Like Robert Thomas last year. That's what I am thinking anyways.

And for McBain, I don't think he's the type of guy the Leafs will go for. He's big and works hard, but even the Leafs typically aim higher in the skill category. McBain looks like one of those good 2nd round picks that turn out, but not someone I would try to get in the 1st round. At least not right now. Maybe a WJC will do wonders for him. He needs to go up against better competition. The WJC and dominating the BCHL is how Jost went really high. McBain isn't dominating the OJHL, so a strong WJC is the only thing going for him. A weak or non-existent WJC, and a non dominant OJHL season could drop him down to a 2-4 round pick...
I think you mean the U-18's. Jost wasn't on the under 20. The big upcoming event for McBain is the u-19 world jr A challenge.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
McShane is a generally smart player, but really lacks anything that makes him special. I wouldn't take him in the first.

I've seen McBain. He's been on and off. He isn't tearing up the league as expected. He should play in the World Jr A challenge and potentially the U-18, which should give a better reflection of where he stands against his draft class.

If we are looking at centers around 20, the guy who intrigues me is Olofsson. I'd probably take Hayton or McBain over McShane.

I think you mean the U-18's. Jost wasn't on the under 20. The big upcoming event for McBain is the u-19 world jr A challenge.

Was Olofsson the kid they were talking about on the podcast out of Sweden? Sounded like an interesting potential pick early 20's late teens

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Few guys out of Sweden that I'd like to take a flyer on in the 3rd or 4th round.

Carl Wassenius - 6'2 Center who's dominated U18 as a 15/16 year old the past 2 years, and is having a solid start in the U20 SuperElit this year. He's a late 99, so he's a bit older, but his numbers have been real good.

David Lilja - Bit of a smaller C @ 5'11, but he's dominated U18 and U20 the past couple years, and is now in the Alsvenskan. Seems like he could be a nice skill pick.

Filip Hallander - A bit younger than most of the class, he hasn't dominated U20, but held his own there last year, sitting 4th on his team in scoring as a 16 year old. He's currently tied for the team lead on his Allsvenskan team with Vancouver prospect Jonathan Dahlen at 10, albeit in more games (15 vs 9).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Few guys out of Sweden that I'd like to take a flyer on in the 3rd or 4th round.

Carl Wassenius - 6'2 Center who's dominated U18 as a 15/16 year old the past 2 years, and is having a solid start in the U20 SuperElit this year. He's a late 99, so he's a bit older, but his numbers have been real good.

David Lilja - Bit of a smaller C @ 5'11, but he's dominated U18 and U20 the past couple years, and is now in the Alsvenskan. Seems like he could be a nice skill pick.

Filip Hallander - A bit younger than most of the class, he hasn't dominated U20, but held his own there last year, sitting 4th on his team in scoring as a 16 year old. He's currently tied for the team lead on his Allsvenskan team with Vancouver prospect Jonathan Dahlen at 10, albeit in more games (15 vs 9).
I love Swedes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Lilja is a guy who was mentioned to me by someone in the know. He really intrigues me. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start showing up on some lists.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Lilja is a guy who was mentioned to me by someone in the know. He really intrigues me. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start showing up on some lists.
Yeah, depending on how his season goes, I'd be willing to use the lower of our 2nds on him. He really has intrigued me since I started this thread in June lol.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
just hoping we decide to draft that Gavel kid out of the Q in the second round. If we don't trade the later pick off

Plus its been a while since we had a right hand Catching goalie. I honestly think the last one was Fuhr if I'm not mistaken

6'3 and 220.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I see there's some discussion on Hallander and Lilja, was coming into the thread to ask if anyone had seen/ heard much on these two. Just skulking around EP shows

U18 Allvenskan
Nylander .77
Pastrnak .67
Hallander.67
Wallmark .63
Lilja .47
Forsberg .4
Petterson .36

As yet underrated potential steals? Outproducing their skillset/projection on a hot streak? The draft is just that stacked? Because taking production at face value these are guys that could be justifiably taken in the 5-15 range, and we're talking about 2nd-3rd-4th rounders right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad