GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Why keep trading picks for players? You build a team through the draft not picking up old/garbage players in free agency/trades.

Will most draft picks help us win a cup in the next 2-4 years?

Nope.

Will draft picks allow us to sustain future success?

It's likely.

There are multiple ways to build a team. In the short term, I'm all for trading picks. This team is built to win short term and I don't think we can strike a balance between building a team for 5+ years from now, while also keeping our Cup window open.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Agreed. Everyone wants a long term success, but the fact of the matter is we aren’t built for that.

Most our highest paid players are going to decline before their contracts end (Benn, Radulov, Bishop)

Many players are going to require big raises soon (Seguin, Lindell, Faksa, Janmark)

Our drafting has not been good enough to add high end young talent to the roster.

If Nill misses the playoffs again he’s done. So I doubt he’ll care to much about a player that will help when/if he’s gone.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I beileve we will hold on to the pick or possibly move up to one of the islanders picks . Can fix the roster through free agency with either Neal , kovalchuk , Perron , Stastny , or jvr.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I am very excited about the possibility that Nill will choose to make the pick (drafting being his biggest weakness) instead of trading it (which he is decent at). That will give him the chance to wildly overpay for a 3rd tier free agent.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If he’s decent at trading he will know if there’s a good trade or not . Personally I like the sounds of us having kovalchuk and kotkaniemi , veleno or Hayton over Kessel or skinner and no kotkaniemi , veleno or Hayton .

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The team is built to win the short term?

Spezza
Hemsky
Sharp
Gonchar
Horcoff
Bishop
Radulov
Thomas
Oduya
Schlemko
Russell
Lindback
Hamhuis
Hudler

Yea.. keep doing the same thing over and over and over.. eventually it will work.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The team is built to win the short term?

Spezza
Hemsky
Sharp
Gonchar
Horcoff
Bishop
Radulov
Thomas
Oduya
Schlemko
Russell
Lindback
Hamhuis
Hudler

Yea.. keep doing the same thing over and over and over.. eventually it will work.
The cheap Seguin and Klingberg years are running out, the cheap Benn ones are behind us, how long can Radulov be good, etc.
Either win soon or rely on Gurianov/Hintz/Tufte/Robertson to all hit and produce for cheap. Given Nill's draft record, I know which one I think is a better plan.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The team that hasn't had any success in the playoffs is the better plan.

We will win the off-season again, add some 30+ UFAs.. everyone will say we will be top 3 central.. then we will shit the bed and miss the playoffs.

Keep doing the same thing it's good plan.

Nill for President.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The team that hasn't had any success in the playoffs is the better plan.

We will win the off-season again, add some 30+ UFAs.. everyone will say we will be top 3 central.. then we will **** the bed and miss the playoffs.

Keep doing the same thing it's good plan.

Nill for President.

So are you suggesting we start rebuilding? That 13th overall pick won't help for another 3-4 years, if ever.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think we need a rebuild, keep the team the way it is with minor tweaks/depth.

I just don't agree with trade the 1st rounder for some older player.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think we need a rebuild, keep the team the way it is with minor tweaks/depth.

I just don't agree with trade the 1st rounder for some older player.

Sometimes Nill makes a good trade. We have 13, 14, and 15 as draft classes that have failed to produce a single impact player with 4 1sts and 3 2nds in there. How many more years do you want to try the Nill way of drafting?

You say you don't want some older player, do you want some 18 year old future 4th liner instead?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad