GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

________

Feb 6, 2006
June 22nd First round
June 23rd Rounds 2-7

Two Russians wingers ranked around the Stars pick.

a pair of Russian wingers, Grigori Denisenko and Vitali Kravtsov, tied at No. 15. Farabee moved up two spots from mid-season while Denisenko and Kravtsov made huge gains, from Nos. 21 and 39, respectively.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm happy with the 13th pick. Thrilled we didnt drop, but yeah it's a little frustrating just because we probably all had our hopes up because of last year and then this year the Canes get it while being just 2 spots ahead of us. I don't mind though. Lot of good players will be available at #13, let's just hope Nill makes the right choice.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's a win for everyone when Chicago and Edmonton don't win it. Unfortunately Montreal won but hopefully they don't get Dahlin

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Would really like to see us draft Jonatan Berggren . He is ranked as a second rounder but only because he’s 5’10 . The kid tore up the superelite with 57 pts in 38 games this year and is easily looking like Sweden’s best player at the under 18’s. Made sure I caught the Sweden Finland game today to watch him and he did not disappoint he didn’t score but he looked like the best player between the 2 teams . Kotkaniemi and Kupari looked good too but not as good as Berggren .

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Good. Now the scouting team gets to put some neurons together and work to get this pick right instead of the softball they got last year.

Bottomline: Get this one right or get out.

Rule 1: if someone with elite skill comparable to those at the top of the draft we’re to drop in the draft, unless that player dropped because he lost a leg to a shark attack or commited murder, you pick him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I would definitely take him at 13 but I doubt he drops that far, especially after his play at U18s.

Good news is if he is taken before that then that leaves another good player to fall to us. Should be several good options available

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Off the top of my head:

How great would it be if Evan Bouchard dropped?

Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Rasmus Kupari are intriguing around there.

Joe Veleno territory

Where's Ty SMith been ranked recently?

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Off the top of my head:

How great would it be if Evan Bouchard dropped?

Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Rasmus Kupari are intriguing around there.

Joe Veleno territory

Where's Ty SMith been ranked recently?
If Evan Bouchard dropped to 13, the Stars 100% should take him. But I very much doubt that he will drop to 13.

Kotkaniemi is much more intriguing to me than Kupari, but both are reasonable choices.

I like Veleno a lot, I think he's pretty close to guaranteed to play in the NHL, it just depends where. Personally, I think he could be the Stars #2 center within a couple of years.

Ty Smith is ranked anywhere from 10 - 15. So he could be an option but I personally would rather pick one of the centers over him.
Russian winger Denisenko wouldn't be totally off of the board, but I'd rather not pick him.

There are a lot of good options at 13, I just hope they don't go totally off the board with their pick.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
5 guys id take at 13 that will likely be there .
Berggren
Kravtsov
Kotkaniemi
Hayton
Lundestrom

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I expect we will pass on Veleno and/or one of the fallers for Denisenko or Kravtsov.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Should we pass on an elite prospect because he’s russian ? Kravtsov has done better than nuke and gury in the khl and is ranked to go around mid teens . Highly doubt Veleno will be on the board at 13.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Lets see which prosepect has "top 5" tools, but all the other scouting rescources have them rated in the late 20s. They'll pick that guy

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Should we pass on an elite prospect because he’s russian ? Kravtsov has done better than nuke and gury in the khl and is ranked to go around mid teens . Highly doubt Veleno will be on the board at 13.
No, Kravtsov is a very interesting pick. His playoff performance in the KHL has really risen him up the rankings. He had 11 points in 16 games, for comparison of KHL Playoffs points this year: Nichushkin had 9 in 19, Kaprizov had 10 in 19, Kovalchuk had 10 in 15, Tolvanen had 7 in 11, and Datsyuk had 7 in 15. Very impressive for an 18 year old. Very interesting option but I still have a few players ranked over him in the 13 area.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No, Kravtsov is a very interesting pick. His playoff performance in the KHL has really risen him up the rankings. He had 11 points in 16 games, for comparison of KHL Playoffs points this year: Nichushkin had 9 in 19, Kaprizov had 10 in 19, Kovalchuk had 10 in 15, Tolvanen had 7 in 11, and Datsyuk had 7 in 15. Very impressive for an 18 year old. Very interesting option but I still have a few players ranked over him in the 13 area.

Say No to Recency Bias 2018
Yuck indeed. Even if we needed a defensemen he shouldn’t be on our radar.

Why shouldn't he be on our radar lmao? He's incredibly smart and super dynamic- I'd peg him as the #3 defenseman in this draft.

Dahlin, Bouchard and Smith.

Button has the Stars taking Ty Smith. Impressive offensive season, but yuck. Need forwards.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1071168

You don't draft for need this isn't the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Say No to Recency Bias 2018

Why shouldn't he be on our radar lmao? He's incredibly smart and super dynamic- I'd peg him as the #3 defenseman in this draft.

Dahlin, Bouchard and Smith.

You don't draft for need this isn't the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Smith is overrated, and I’m not a fan of us taking another smallish D man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad