GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Q for Stars fans:

Would you consider Mats Zuccarello for the Dallas 1st round pick a fair value?

Thanks!
Definately not , I would consider a one for one trade for a young player like shore or elie that’s about it , maybe a 3rd round pick .

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Lol Jesus man do you actually think that's fair value?

Shore+Elie+3rd wouldn't even get us Zucc. Let alone by themselves...

Anyway I think the value on our 1st for Zucc is close but him having 1 year left just barely pushes it out of reach for us. I'd like to see Nill spread the wealth a bit with the cap going up and getting more depth rather than throwing big money at 1 or 2 players.

If it weren't for the circumstances on our end,plus only 1 year left for Zucc, I'd say that's a pretty solid trade offer for both sides.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Definately not , I would consider a one for one trade for a young player like shore or elie that’s about it , maybe a 3rd round pick .

This is just embarrassing to the rest of the Stars fans... That is a horrendous offer. Just say you dont want him

Reactions: Kcb12345 and Satan

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What's the need from Dallas right now?
We need a high skill center prospect to fill the hole between Seguin and Faksa and we need scoring depth.

I love Zucc as a player and wouldnt mind him on the team but there is no way I would consider trading the 13th pick for him as he is only a year away from an expensive contract that is almost guaranteed to be bad in the later years. Dont see dallas moving the pick unless we can get a much younger player coming back.

We essentially hope Veleno falls to us and if not just go BPA at 13

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Zuch probably worth a first at next TDL, so why not just send it now? Well, because a 13th pick is pretty valuable over something in the 17-31 range from a contender. And, the draft in Dallas, etc.

Maybe a second and a prospect of NYR picking, not named Miro, and even that pick is conditional, downgraded to a third if he doesn't sign an extension?

Disagree with the notion of spreading available wealth around in UFA to pick up 2-3 players. We need more top end players, and can get the mid range players out of our own package of prospects. One near elite center or winger is what we need. And, a back up goalie for a year or two.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Zucc is worth way more than a 3rd round pick, but I get balking at the idea.
Yea he probably is but this is a very good draft and there’s elite talent right through mid second round , so a trade probably isn’t there with Dallas. I think if nill is going to be trading away picks or high end prospects it’s only going to be for players around the core age of the team . Looking to build from within rather than looking for quick fixes.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What about second round I would like to see Hallander or Nordgren who is more possible this guy had 4goals and 2 ass in 2 games in champion hockey leauge where plays all the best teams from europian leagues. His shot is pretty impresive and he is one of youngest in this class. (42p in 28g in finnish u20 2nd in ppg)

Nordgren is promising young winger.
But as 5'9 tall he lacks skating and physicality.

Nordgren has had injury which is hurt and slowed his development and also it's affected for his skating.
Is questionable how Nordgren's game and goal scoring ability turns to next level.

Nordgren was Finland's top scorer ( 8+2=10 points in 7 games) in U18 world championships.
He also was best goal scorer in that tournament.

Despite of very good U18 WJC tournament his draft-stock and draft value is questionable.
Nordgren isn't 1st round pick also 2nd round is so and so.

If Stars wants Nordgren they should take closer look on him somewhere in rounds 3 to 7.
But if stars really wants Finnish winger in 2nd round Sampo Ranta and Jesse Ylonen are good candidates for Stars. Also Linus Nyman could be one option in later rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: joshik

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Yes. I'm not sure what Boston would want for Spooner but if Dallas doesn't throw money at Tavares I'm all about seeing if they can nab a 2C from somewhere.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yes. I'm not sure what Boston would want for Spooner but if Dallas doesn't throw money at Tavares I'm all about seeing if they can nab a 2C from somewhere.

Spooner was traded to the New York Rangers this year. I'm sure he'd be pretty cheap though

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Spooner was traded to the New York Rangers this year. I'm sure he'd be pretty cheap though

Didn't even realize. Still though he had decent production. If the cost isn't too expensive and Dallas doesn't trust Spezza to rebound or just wants to improve their offense he would not be a bad choice and he's still a good age.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
More likely than not, I get that given his age, Spezza's decline wasn't purely coaching. That said, Cap Friendly has Dallas at $17,670,000 cap space, but that's at this year's $75 million cap. Most reports have the cap rising significantly to $80 or more. At the end of day, with Spezza, you have every dime you need to add even luxury pieces ... with the exception of Tavares. Personally, I think there's little to no chance he's coming to Dallas, but I know he's a popular player to fantasize about.

Since money shouldn't be an issue, Spezza is in a contract year with a coach who has preached letting individual players use their individual skills and talents in the offensive zone. He has probably just as good a chance to have a rebound in Dallas as somewhere else. Unless some huge salary player ends up in Dallas (I know Shapiro is high on O'Reilly), just give an older player in a contract year chasing a Cup a chance to rebound and maybe add some depth scoring.

All that is to say, unless they're getting a legit 2nd line center, a younger guy who can play center or wing like Spooner would seem like a good option. If Spezza has something left in the tank, Spooner can slide to wing.

I don't agree with Nill's belief (according to Shapiro) that Dallas wouldn't have to retain salary or add a ton of assets to move Spezza. If that's true ... I'm all ears, and would love to see him moved. Would love to have some space at the deadline if Dallas is clicking.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The only good thing about having the draft spot we're in right now is I think there are a few solid players in our range. What's better about that is I think there is a good chance one of the better top 10 draft prospects could fall to us at 13.

I don't have a ton of faith in our scouting department, but if a player like Bouchard, Boqvist or Veleno fall to us, you assume they're gonna pull the trigger.

If they don't fall then Kotkaniemi, Kupari, Denisenko, and Kravstov I think are our best options.

Our defense in Dallas is young enough to not have to worry about stocking up on D prospects this year. Grab a C or a W and start getting them ready to replace guys like Spezza and Hanzal.

I'm a firm believer in drafting BPA, that's how all sports teams should draft. If you think there are a few on the same level in your range, then you can pick for positional need.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
How awesome it would be to have someone of the quality of Matt Bazal fall to us at 13! The odds of that happening are pretty low, so we should totally never pass up on such a great opportunity!

:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad