GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Size bias is so 2001

No results bias. In the NHL, theres Krug, Spurgeon, Ellis and that pretty much completes the list of small D men like Smith that produced anything like a first round pick this year. Besides, we already have one in Honka. How’s that going?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
You don't draft for need this isn't the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel ya. Normally I would be BPA available but with Heiskanen coming next season and assuming Honka goes full time I would rather see BFA since the Stars' system lacks high-end forward talent.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No results bias. In the NHL, theres Krug, Spurgeon, Ellis and that pretty much completes the list of small D men like Smith that produced anything like a first round pick this year. Besides, we already have one in Honka. How’s that going?

Ghost, Barrie, Vatanen.............

EK65 is only 6 feet tall. Being below 6'3 doesn't make or break a defenseman but nice confirmation bias my man.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I feel ya. Normally I would be BPA available but with Heiskanen coming next season and assuming Honka goes full time I would rather see BFA since the Stars' system lacks high-end forward talent.

Robertson, Guryanov, Tufte, Caamano, Hintz are all developing. None of them are high-end but what can you do.

After Heiskanen who's our next best defensive prospect, Joe Cecconi....? soon to be 24 year old Gavin Bayreuther? Yikes! (I'm not including Honka)

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Ghost, Barrie, Vatanen.............

EK65 is only 6 feet tall. Being below 6'3 doesn't make or break a defenseman but nice confirmation bias my man.

So Ty Smith is Karlsson now? Geesh. Who knew we won the lottery at the 13th pick.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I never even implied that he was. It's just complete nonsense to write off undersized defenders because they're shortchanged 50 millimetres.

And I didn’t completely write him off because of his size either. I just don’t think his offense will be good enough to justify using a first round pick on him. The fact that he is on the small side means he’ll have a harder hill to climb, IMO.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Say No to Recency Bias 2018

Why shouldn't he be on our radar lmao? He's incredibly smart and super dynamic- I'd peg him as the #3 defenseman in this draft.

Dahlin, Bouchard and Smith.

You don't draft for need this isn't the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with your argument that you shouldn't draft based off of position but I think recent performance should definitely be taken into consideration. One example of this is Heiskanen, who significantly raised his stock with his U18s performance and displayed his offensive potential, where before he was simple seen as a mobile and safe defensive defenseman. So I think there should be consideration in why there is such improvements for potential picks, whether it be maturity, inconsistency or simply that they were just given the opportunity. In the particular case of Kravtsov, you should definitely consider his performance in playoffs, but you should also ask the question why he performed the way he did throughout the regular season. So I think recent performance should definitely be taken into consideration, but an understanding must be made on why the recent performance was different than the rest of the year.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Cant see us picking another small dman unless Hughes or Boqvist drop.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
No, Kravtsov is a very interesting pick. His playoff performance in the KHL has really risen him up the rankings. He had 11 points in 16 games, for comparison of KHL Playoffs points this year: Nichushkin had 9 in 19, Kaprizov had 10 in 19, Kovalchuk had 10 in 15, Tolvanen had 7 in 11, and Datsyuk had 7 in 15. Very impressive for an 18 year old. Very interesting option but I still have a few players ranked over him in the 13 area.
That is very impressive .Top 5 in khl playoff goal scoring too . Apparently he was given more oppurtunity in the playoffs and he ran with it. After watching his highlights he looks like a young kuzntsov , Backstrom . Really quick feet and good hands . Good posture and always has his head up .

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
My faith in management and our scouting is an all time low right now, but if we pick a defenseman with the 13th overall pick I am seriously boycotting next season.

After Heiskanen we don't have many notable blueline prospects, sure, thats because they all graduated just recently. Honka, Heiskanen, Lindell, Klingberg, even Johns is a solid young core for years to come.

We need centers and that Finnish dude our best hope, I think.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Definitely should not draft a dman. Center or winger for me. Preferably center (Veleno, Kotkaniemi)
I dont want us to go out of our way to draft a D man but this top half of the first is stupidly deep with new age Dmen. If one of the guys who should go top 10 fall to us Im gonna be pissed if we pass because we need a winger this year. No one at 13 will play this year so just take BPA and trade from a position of strength down the road

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
What about second round I would like to see Hallander or Nordgren who is more possible this guy had 4goals and 2 ass in 2 games in champion hockey leauge where plays all the best teams from europian leagues. His shot is pretty impresive and he is one of youngest in this class. (42p in 28g in finnish u20 2nd in ppg)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Veleno or Kotkaniemi if they are there. If not I hope we nab the inevitable solid PMD that will drop out of the top 10

Yeah this is my thoughts as well. I do want to see us get a future top 6 forward, but if a Dman does drop then we'd be stupid not to take him. Nothing wrong with being stacked on D for once

Reactions: Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I dont want us to go out of our way to draft a D man but this top half of the first is stupidly deep with new age Dmen. If one of the guys who should go top 10 fall to us Im gonna be pissed if we pass because we need a winger this year. No one at 13 will play this year so just take BPA and trade from a position of strength down the road

Exactly.

There's a ridiculous amount of talented defensemen in this draft. If we have the opportunity to draft Evan Bouchard, Ty Smith, Quinn Hughes or Adam Boqvist, I would hope we take that chance - especially if guys like Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi and Veleno are off the board.

I'd still be tempted to snag Kupari/Denisenko/Kravtsov but boy there are some talented defensemen in this draft.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
was just at the hounds rangers game 7 , and man does Hayton look good . He was the best player on the ice and was out batteling 6’7 Logan Stanley all night . Rasmus Sandin looks awesome too , plays very similar to heiskanen .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Maybe I’m being biased because I got to see him live but to me this kid is something special . He’s a huge reason the greyhounds are in the ohl final . Silky smooth , very calm with the puck ,perfect stride, always has his head up , incredibly aware in his own end and never gives the puck away . Would have no problem if they drafted him with the 13th pick.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He’s the best defenseman on the best team in the ohl at 18 . 45 in 51 aren’t ridiculous numbers but he literally never makes mistakes out there and makes a ton of really good defensive plays . He’s a true two way Dman. I guess it can be tough to see that stuff without watching a full game and only seeing highlights though.Im just sharing my inside scoop on the kid .Will be surprised if he makes it to the 20’s in the draft .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad