Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I know that there's a lot of talk about Barrett Hayton, but am I missing something with Akil Thomas, who had significantly more offensive production (81 to 60)? Have to watch some of these guys more, but a guy who can fly and plays in all situations, including running the point on Niagara's power play is going to be of interest; I'm developing a man crush.

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
K'Andre Miller seems like an interesting defenseman. Big guy with a good shot, can move well even with the puck but can also be physical. Should be available in the latter half of the first round. Still a bit early to really talk about draft as we have no idea when the Ducks make their pick but Miller should be available in the range where the Ducks are going to be. Forward talent is needed though rather than more d-men but a mix of Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, Montour, Miller + Welinski/Larsson/Pettersson/whoever d-core is a nice thought.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We actually have a lot of Forward depth for 2nd/3rd line-ish, Terry Steel Kossila Kerdiles Jones etc.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I know that there's a lot of talk about Barrett Hayton, but am I missing something with Akil Thomas, who had significantly more offensive production (81 to 60)? Have to watch some of these guys more, but a guy who can fly and plays in all situations, including running the point on Niagara's power play is going to be of interest; I'm developing a man crush.

Hayton is buried on a much deeper team than Thomas, so he just doesn't get the same opportunities. I'd say Thomas is more dynamic but Hayton is higher IQ and impacts the game more on an overall basis.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
On D I'm quite high on McIsaac. Regarding to forwards, I like Kotkaniemi and Lundeström a lot.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We actually have a lot of Forward depth for 2nd/3rd line-ish, Terry Steel Kossila Kerdiles Jones etc.
Kerdiles is far away from 2/3d line-ish plahyer in the NHL. So is Kossila who looked ok in his stints but are far from that. Jones is a huge questionmark, he doesn`t have much points nor have passed much eye-tests of being a potentially good player.
Comtois is one prospect who has all the potential to be that 2/3d line player
Terry and Steel are promising but one of them is still not under a contract.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
So we are holding the 23rd pick overall right now. My preferences with this changes every 5 minutes.

Some rankings have Veleno that low, which will not happen imho. Akil Thomas may be an very interesting option. Alexander Alexeyev looks also like a fit. Like every year so much options :D

My wishes so far would be one of Lundeström, Bokk, Kotkaniemi. We will see. From a fans standpoint picking outside of the top 10 is quite difficult. Down there you get some elite talent. Outside of it so much differnt options appear.

Btw Jack McBain the first posting on this site is quite interesting. He is def a ANA type of player.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Starting to hope we draft D here.

Well, if you're going to take a Dman, this would be the draft to do so. Finest crop of Dmen since 2012.

The depth is great too, as there's about 50 guys, who could reasonably go in the first round. Teams with early to mid 2nds are getting great value for those picks...

I really like the highly evident IQ and vision here, also looks like a pretty good finisher. Production grew stronger as his year (rookie OHL season) went on.

I know Merkley gets a lot of ****, perhaps rightly so, but that Merkley-Hillis duo looked pretty good on that clip. Lots of skill, lots of chemistry there.

Where's Hillis projected to go? Mid to late 2nd?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The depth is great too, as there's about 50 guys, who could reasonably go in the first round. Teams with early to mid 2nds are getting great value for those picks...

We have the 23 and 54th. And if PIT and/or SJ make the final 4 we move up. Sounds like we are in good position to do what we do best.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Well, if you're going to take a Dman, this would be the draft to do so. Finest crop of Dmen since 2012.

I know Merkley gets a lot of ****, perhaps rightly so, but that Merkley-Hillis duo looked pretty good on that clip. Lots of skill, lots of chemistry there.

Where's Hillis projected to go? Mid to late 2nd?

There's absolutely no denying Merkley's offensive and skating ability, but as a defenseman he's a project for sure.

I think Hillis is ranked mid to late 2nd but his stock was on the rise so someone could like him even earlier.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Whoever's taking Merkley is getting one hell of a difficult project. Even with his upside, I wouldn't be comfortable taking him with one of our top two picks with how deep this draft is.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Whoever's taking Merkley is getting one hell of a difficult project. Even with his upside, I wouldn't be comfortable taking him with one of our top two picks with how deep this draft is.

Sadly, I don't see Merkley dropping that far. He might become a 2nd rounder, sure, but there's no way he's still there at the start of the third round -- there are just way too many talent-craving bottom-feeders, who have way too many picks at their disposal.

NYR: Three firsts, two seconds, two thirds
NYI: Two firsts, two seconds
MTL: First, four seconds
DET: Two firsts, two seconds, three thirds

Reactions: Elf

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Sadly, I don't see Merkley dropping that far. He might become a 2nd rounder, sure, but there's no way he's still there at the start of the third round -- there are just way too many talent-craving bottom-feeders, who have way too many picks at their disposal.

NYR: Three firsts, two seconds, two thirds
NYI: Two firsts, two seconds
MTL: First, four seconds
DET: Two firsts, two seconds, three thirds

Rangers are my prediction for taking him. If they think DeAngelo has matured they could try and use him as a mentor since they had similar knocks in junior (DeAangelo had some real character issues). It is too bad Merkley has so many red flags, his ability to control the offensive zone is among the best in the draft.

I've been thinking for a while now that although we need centers, I'd be happy if we took a defender. There's so much defensive talent in this draft I could see our staff finding a gem in the 20s. K'Andre Miller is intriguing, his raw tools are excellent and he's a recent convert to defense from forward which we have had good luck with in Manson and Pettersson.

Jake Wise might be my favourite pick for us in the draft though. He fits the profile of highly rated guy who's fallen but is having a really strong season for the NTDP. Scoring at a higher ppg than Farabee who had the luxury of playing with Hughes and Wahlstrom for a lot of the year.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I would absolutely take a chance on Merkley

He's a wild card for us imo. Our staff could either think he's a problem child and want nothing to do with him, or they'd see an incredible talent and bank on their track record with defenders and go for it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's a wild card for us imo. Our staff could either think he's a problem child and want nothing to do with him, or they'd see an incredible talent and bank on their track record with defenders and go for it.
Agreed
I just think the issues are overblown. He's 17, one of the younger players in the draft, and one of the top producing D in the draft still.

I think whoever gets him is going to be really happy about it in a few years

Reactions: Goose of Reason

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
They didn’t care about Ritchie or Jones
Rather tame a tiger then motivate a house cat

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Starting to hope we draft D here.
Def still more worried about forwards...

fowler Montour
lindholm manson are all going to likely be mainstays here for a while.

Then you have Welinksi/Pettersson/Larsson and soon mahura to move into the line up... I don't mind grabbing some dmen in 2-5th rounds ... but I think we should look at forward in round 1. Lot of teams I imagine will be taking dmen... so I think a few forwards may drop into our area.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Id love if kupari, veleno or kotkaniemi fell to us... but not likely

I feel like serron noel is the most duck player in this draft... goes in line with comtois jones Ritchie etc.(hoping we look for more skill and speed tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad