GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It's sad knowing that there's almost no chance Dobson will be available at our pick. That late season run is really biting us in the butt.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The three picks in front of us that aren't Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina are going to give us a collective heart attack

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
It's sad knowing that there's almost no chance Dobson will be available at our pick. That late season run is really biting us in the butt.

He looks so impressive in this game. Just love what he could become.... But I think that means he is not there for us anymore.

Let's see, I guess.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Man Dobson looks like the real deal

he's out there every other shift, effortlessly skating up and down the ice
His skating is so smooth. Moves well for a kid that tall and lanky. Big frame too. He’ll likely play at 6ft 3 or 4 and 215-220. I don’t think he will be there at 7. I see Seth Jones and also Alex Pietrangelo.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
His skating is so smooth. Moves well for a kid that tall and lanky. Big frame too. He’ll likely play at 6ft 3 or 4 and 215-220. I don’t think he will be there at 7. I see Seth Jones and also Alex Pietrangelo.
He's about 180lbs right now, and I doubt he goes above 210 like Pietrangelo and Jones. I wouldn't be surprised if he only ends up at 200 though, he's a lanky guy.

Dp4CF0x.png

ujBS8NV.png

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Going to go out on a limb and make myself look foolish by saying Dobson will be a bust. You can use this in a couple years when he breaks out as a Pietrangelo-type defenseman, but I'm going to stick to my non-scientific guns on this one. The Q doesn't develop defensemen...he'll bust.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Going to go out on a limb and make myself look foolish by saying Dobson will be a bust. You can use this in a couple years when he breaks out as a Pietrangelo-type defenseman, but I'm going to stick to my non-scientific guns on this one. The Q doesn't develop defensemen...he'll bust.
I don’t know if he will bust completely, but I don’t like his feet. His feet are slow. He turns slow. He, kind of, does everything slow. In the modern hyperspeed NHL slow feet are a career killer. I hope he’s taken before 7, so we don’t have a chance to make a big mistake.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don’t know if he will bust completely, but I don’t like his feet. His feet are slow. He turns slow. He, kind of, does everything slow. In the modern hyperspeed NHL slow feet are a career killer. I hope he’s taken before 7, so we don’t have a chance to make a big mistake.

I'm literally not using any of that analysis in coming up with my completely baseless opinion. Just using something that really is probably irrelevant to come to this conclusion; however, it will be interesting to see what happens. Yes there have been some valid counterpoints to this theory in that there haven't been many highly touted Dmen from the Q in the last 15 years; however, those few Dmen have busted (I would throw in Zboril here too as he hasn't looked good at all).

Reactions: Luckylarry

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Think Dobson will be there at 7.

Just need Detroit to take Bouchard.

Hughes and Bouchard are getting more attention than Dobson at the 5/6 spots. At least one will be taken with those picks. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk will go 1-4 . That leaves one pick in flux. Still very good odds that Dobson is there at pick #7.

ARZ picking Bouchard is what can overturn this. DET wants a right shot Dman. From what I’ve read, they like Bouchard, but if he’s not there...?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm literally not using any of that analysis in coming up with my completely baseless opinion. Just using something that really is probably irrelevant to come to this conclusion; however, it will be interesting to see what happens. Yes there have been some valid counterpoints to this theory in that there haven't been many highly touted Dmen from the Q in the last 15 years; however, those few Dmen have busted (I would throw in Zboril here too as he hasn't looked good at all).
That's the kind of ridiculous reasoning that causes a player like Anze Kopitar to fall to 11th overall. There hasn't been a defenseman like Dobson to come from the QMJHL in a very long time. He has it all; skill, smarts, size, skating.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That's the kind of ridiculous reasoning that causes a player like Anze Kopitar to fall to 11th overall. There hasn't been a defenseman like Dobson to come from the QMJHL in a very long time. He has it all; skill, smarts, size, skating.

Who's scouting report is this?

A talented two-way defenseman who provides skill, poise, and leadership on the back-end. Although he is an all-around defenseman, he is developing into an exceptional offensive player with lethal power-play skills. His ability as a distributor, his hard, accurate shot, and strong in-zone work compares favorably with other young defenseman.

Strengths:

*Confidence & poise with the puck
*Ability to read the play
*Smooth skater
*Hockey intelligence & maturity
*Ability to play in all situations.
*Strong shot from the point

I totally agree with you though. This is the kind of stupid reasoning I tend to laugh at 999 times out of 1000. I'm just going to stick with this with no real scientific logic to support me.

Reactions: lindgren

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

That means they are due.

But I do agree on the Q.
Ever since I read that CanucksArmy article about how the Q has produced the least amount of NHL'ers over the last 10 years from the major 4 junior league.
But maybe this is their time.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Who's scouting report is this?

A talented two-way defenseman who provides skill, poise, and leadership on the back-end. Although he is an all-around defenseman, he is developing into an exceptional offensive player with lethal power-play skills. His ability as a distributor, his hard, accurate shot, and strong in-zone work compares favorably with other young defenseman.

Strengths:

*Confidence & poise with the puck
*Ability to read the play
*Smooth skater
*Hockey intelligence & maturity
*Ability to play in all situations.
*Strong shot from the point

I totally agree with you though. This is the kind of stupid reasoning I tend to laugh at 999 times out of 1000. I'm just going to stick with this with no real scientific logic to support me.

I still do not know how Gormley end up fizzling out like he did.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Lol he is an excellent skater. Turns and pivots quick, good edge work. Slow my ass. Maybe take the rabbit ears off and take the bubble tv to the dump and watch it in high def

Reactions: Grantham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad