Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I absolutely love Merkley, but he does need to take some major steps in developing his defensive game this year. He doesn't need to become a shut-down guy but he does need to show that he understands the importance of being responsible in the defensive zone. In other words, he can't be another Ryan Sproul in terms of his development path.

I am a big Boqvist fan. He is certainly on my super early short list.

The best thing about our 2017 draft class is that we shouldn't be worried about taking a skilled undersized defensemen in the 2018 draft.

I think the biggest difference between boqvist and merkley is merkley loves the puck on his stick as much as possible so he can hold onto it and fire wristers. Boqvist, also talented with the puck, looks to pass it, he's probably the best break out passer in the draft.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
BPA (based on skill, not size) at D or C through the first three rounds. Preferably D in the first round.

An early winger who isn't related to someone on the team would be an abject failure of drafting/scouting.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think the biggest difference between boqvist and merkley is merkley loves the puck on his stick as much as possible so he can hold onto it and fire wristers. Boqvist, also talented with the puck, looks to pass it, he's probably the best break out passer in the draft.

I think that is a pretty fair comparison based on my viewings (albeit limited) of the two. I don't think Merkley plays a very mature game, but the skill and skating is out of this world. This is a huge development year for him and I am excited to see what he looks like next April.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
So what is your strategy in the 2018 draft?

Open question.

1. Try to get another 1st round pick for Green (or two seconds) at the deadline.
2. Focus on skill and mobility. I think BPA in the first is likely to be a defensemen.
3. Focus on defensemen and centers.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Zadina is a LW. But could be the most skilled player on the board if we don't get lil svech or dahlin, do you take him? And let's just say he IS the most skilled player in the board at that time in the scenario

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Zadina is a LW. But could be the most skilled player on the board if we don't get lil svech or dahlin, do you take him? And let's just say he IS the most skilled player in the board at that time in the scenario

No. With the amount of skilled defenseman in this draft I have a hard time seeing him be much better than whichever one would be there.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
No. With the amount of skilled defenseman in this draft I have a hard time seeing him be much better than whichever one would be there.

I can agree with that. There's so many good defensemen in this draft I want to come away with one. I'm not sold on Boqvist/Merkley/Hughes but I really like Woo/McIsaac/Wilde (haven't looked at ty smith much yet). I'm a bpa first round guy.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Oh and why I singled out zadina, mocks have him as the only winger in the top 10 besides svech. So everyone is basically saying, just don't take zadina. But I see zadina as an insanely skilled player. I think tkachuk is a center

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I can agree with that. There's so many good defensemen in this draft I want to come away with one. I'm not sold on Boqvist/Merkley/Hughes but I really like Woo/McIsaac/Wilde (haven't looked at ty smith much yet). I'm a bpa first round guy.

I'll puke in my mouth if we draft Jet Woo. An undersized 2nd pairing NHL d man..

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'll puke in my mouth if we draft Jet Woo. An undersized 2nd pairing NHL d man..

That's a pretty strong opinion a year out from the draft. What makes you think he only has 2nd pairing upside? Would you be happy with other undersized D like Boqvist or Merkley?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

I don't have an issue with you calling him a 2nd pairing d man because it's so early. But what's wrong with his size? He's taller than smith, Boqvist, merkley, and Hughes. He's 200 something pounds and knows how to use that weight and he's one of the younger guys in the draft.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not really sure what he's lacking from a tools perspective to make you feel that way?

I think there are some guys with a bit more pure offensive skill than Woo (at least at this point), but he is still a very good hockey player that projects well professionally.

The line between 2 and 3 on the defensive depth chart can be razor thin and can depend a lot on different variables.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
That Khovanov kid is going to miss 6 months with hepatitis A. That's pretty much the whole draft year. I don't know much about hepatitis except for the fact I never actually got my final shot of twinrix, so don't know what it means for him long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad