Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Seriously... ive never anticipated a draft this much in my entire life. Last year we finished higher in the standings and it was a weak draft (at the time), and there was no franchise level talent at the top. Things can still change this year, but we'll hopefully finish bottom 5, and there are so many great players, and obviously everyone is having dreams of Dahlin. I JUST WANT THE DRAFT TO ARRIVE ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty much. Last year, it felt like it would be a coin flip whether an exciting player would fall to 9. This year, it feels like, which exciting player will we choose?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but Bouchard leads his team in scoring by 30 points. He's got 84 and their highest scoring forward has 54. He has more assists (61) than anybody else has points, and then 23 goals on top of that. That's crazy. He isn't benefiting from their star players, he *is* their star player.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Pretty much. Last year, it felt like it would be a coin flip whether an exciting player would fall to 9. This year, it feels like, which exciting player will we choose?

I was pretty convinced we were getting a top line guy at 9.

Even before Vilardi dropped.
We still had Necas, Liljegren and I liked a couple other guys like Robert Thomas.

I think Liljegren compares pretty nicely to a lot of the "great D" who are going to be available to us at 5/6.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Liljegren compares pretty nicely to a lot of the "great D" who are going to be available to us at 5/6.
Agree to disagree here. I heard a lot more concerns about Liljgren, and he continued to drop throughout the year. The top 3-5 guys this year all seem to have their stock rising as the year unfolds.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Agree to disagree here. I heard a lot more concerns about Liljgren, and he continued to drop throughout the year. The top 3-5 guys this year all seem to have their stock rising as the year unfolds.

Liljegren had mono and yet he still outproduced Boqvist - who some people have as the #2 defenseman in the draft.

Anyway, defenseman are generally harder to measure at 18.
That in itself makes this one of the toughest top 10s to measure in a long time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was pretty convinced we were getting a top line guy at 9.

Even before Vilardi dropped.
We still had Necas, Liljegren and I liked a couple other guys like Robert Thomas.

Nolan Patrick was the top ranked guy most of the year and NHL scouts thought he might end up a 2nd line center. So don’t think it’s fair to say that would be the “expectation” with last year’s draft.

This year’s draft lacks high end centers but is significantly stronger/deeper at winger and defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
No doubt. But if we’re at 3 and we get the chance to land Svech I’ll be so happy
I know people have been keeping tabs on him for a long time, I can understand. I'm going to peg all hope on Dahlin, the others are (really nice) consolation prizes.... I'm probably going to be happy as long as we don't win many more games.

Starting to wonder more about the Vegas and Ottawa picks.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Bouchard and McIsaac with our first 2 picks would be kinda nice.

I could see a top 4 in 2 years that looks like:

Cholowski-Bouchard
McIsaac-Hronek

Could be a solid new d core.
I would be over the moon. I almost posted that very thing, but wasn't sure McIsaac would fall that far.

McIsaac probably doesn't have the upside previously thought, but he still projects as a shutdown guy who skates well and moves the puck well. And even so, he still has that glimmer of high upside you see ever so often.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
If the season ended today, and the most likely result according to 2018 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon is that we pick 5th (24%) or 6th (36%), which of the following players would you pick, and why?

The number on the right is an aggregate draft ranking averaging out Craig Button, The Draft Analyst, Future Considerations, BobMcKenzie, The Athletic, McKeen's, HockeyProspect.com, Sportsnet, and ISS.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Im all aboard the Hughes train, personally. His skating and overall skill is phenomenal. We need a talented guy on defense.

In terms of D I go Dahlin>boqvist>Hughes>bouchard

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No, I am thinking of a different one. There was one that showed what places we could draft in that someone had last year. Basically, it confirmed that we would either pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, or 8th.
Sorry if I am not explaining it very well.
You're basing this off that we draft from the #5 position and we're currently at the #4 position, So as of now we'd be picking from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th draft positions.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If the season ended today, and the most likely result according to 2018 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon is that we pick 5th (24%) or 6th (36%), which of the following players would you pick, and why?

The number on the right is an aggregate draft ranking averaging out Craig Button, The Draft Analyst, Future Considerations, BobMcKenzie, The Athletic, McKeen's, HockeyProspect.com, Sportsnet, and ISS.
Honestly this draft is nice as I'll be happy with pretty much anyone (especially D) as long as we don't go off the board. My personal preference is Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson then Bouchard. With skating and transition being my first priority.

I am looking for a defenseman that will consistently turn possession in our zone into clean entries into the opponent's. I think Boqvist and Hughes are particularly good at this with my preference towards Boqvist because he's a little bigger, and I think just has higher upside in general. Dobson has size and a great first pass. He also skates very well. Bouchard is more of the prototypical PPQB and while I really like him, that's a lower priority than a transition D especially because Boqvist and Hughes should each be PP beasts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad