Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Seem to be impact rookies??? Where are you getting that exactly.
Their ability and size gives me the impression that they won't be 9 game players next year.

Do I have to have proof for the word seem?

The one guy questioned Mule wanting to pick them just because they look like they can make the NHL next year.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We should do what's best for the team in 5 years, not what's best next year.
They aren't Michael Rasmussen "safe to make the NHL" picks. They are extremely talented players who could impact the team way more than next year.

Picking up a guy that can become an elite player in this league most definitely could be what's best for the team in 5 years.

Reactions: TheMule93

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
We should do what's best for the team in 5 years, not what's best next year.

And I think a 75% chance at an elite winger is better than a 25% chance at an elite defender (Idk the actual percentages)

We need ANY elite player at this point. I want to give myself the best chance at getting one. My list starts with Dahlin, then moves on to those three wingers.

If we already had elite players I would probably adjust my strategy to favor positions where we don't have elite players, but as of now I'm just trying to get anyone. Kane was just as important to the hawks cups as Toews and Keith and I'd be completely happy with an elite winger in this draft.

You are focusing too much on "impact next season", I just mentioned it as a benefit of drafting a winger....its an easier transition. Its not that they're a less talented but safer pick (a point that ezekial just touched on).

Last edited:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
So what's everyone's top 15?

EDIT: top 15 for Detroit to draft.

EDIT 2:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Bouchard
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Wilde
7. Tkachuk
8. Hughes
9. Dobson
10. Smith
11. Farabee
12. Kupari
13. Kotkaniemi
14. Boqvist
15. Dellandrea

Really hoping Dellandrea drops.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They aren't Michael Rasmussen "safe to make the NHL" picks. They are extremely talented players who could impact the team way more than next year.

Picking up a guy that can become an elite player in this league most definitely could be what's best for the team in 5 years.
Picking up an elite defenseman or centerman is better than picking up an elite winger.

Reactions: njx9
Jul 30, 2005

EDIT 2:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Bouchard
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Wilde
7. Tkachuk
8. Hughes
9. Dobson
10. Smith
11. Farabee
12. Kupari
13. Kotkaniemi
14. Boqvist
15. Dellandrea

This is purely my priority list, and not how I think the draft will go. Also, I have no expertise and haven't seen most of these players. But, before you ask, I've seen Quinn Hughes.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Dobson
5. Bouchard
6. Smith
7. Boqvist
8. Veleno
9. Tkachuk
10. Wahlstrom
11. Hughes
12. Farabee
13. Hayton
14. Lundestrom
15. Wilde

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Their ability and size gives me the impression that they won't be 9 game players next year.

Do I have to have proof for the word seem?

The one guy questioned Mule wanting to pick them just because they look like they can make the NHL next year.

I just disagree with the use of the term impactful. I think a couple of guys have the potential to stick past nine games, but I am not expecting many earth shattering rookie performances from this group. If you are expecting Zadina or Tkachuk (who I love for the record) to bust out like Laine did as a rookie, you are going to be disappointed.

The strength of this draft is still its defensemen in my eyes, harder to project or not. The better argument for taking a forward earlier is that the defensemen in the 25-40 range probably project better than the forwards in that range.

There is still a lot of hockey to be played, but my money says that there will only be one of the big four wings left on the board when we pick. Time will tell though.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
This is purely my priority list, and not how I think the draft will go. Also, I have no expertise and haven't seen most of these players. But, before you ask, I've seen Quinn Hughes.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Dobson
5. Bouchard
6. Smith
7. Boqvist
8. Veleno
9. Tkachuk
10. Wahlstrom
11. Hughes
12. Farabee
13. Hayton
14. Lundestrom
15. Wilde

Thanks for the list. Interesting picks. I personally would take Veleno that high. Or Hayton.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

EDIT 2:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Bouchard
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Wilde
7. Tkachuk
8. Hughes
9. Dobson
10. Smith
11. Farabee
12. Kupari
13. Kotkaniemi
14. Boqvist
15. Dellandrea

11-15 doesn’t matter IMO, and to me there’s a good drop off at about 10 or 11.

My top 10 is probably something like:

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Bouchard
Wahlstrom
Dobson
Tkachuk
Hughes
Boqvist
Smith

But this will change in the next few months, I’m sure.

Reactions: RedWingzz
Jul 30, 2005
Thanks for the list. Interesting picks. I personally would take Veleno that high. Or Hayton.
Yeah, I think that's what I'm sticking my neck out on this draft: I'm bullish on Veleno and Smith. Hayton I'm on the fence about. I've watched a ton of videos of him, and I can see the appeal in the teens. I didn't write my list this way, but I think he's the kind of guy Detroit would love to draft.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
1. Dahlin

2. Svech
3. Boqvist
4. Zadina
5. Hughes
6. Dobson
7. Bouchard
8. Tkachuk

9. Smith
10. Kupari
11. Wahlstrom

12.Veleno
13. Farabee
14. Lundestrom
15. Kotkaniemi

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
11-15 doesn’t matter IMO, and to me there’s a good drop off at about 10 or 11.

My top 10 is probably something like:

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Bouchard
Wahlstrom
Dobson
Tkachuk
Hughes
Boqvist
Smith

But this will change in the next few months, I’m sure.
You seem higher on Wahlstrom than most people. Anything specific you like about him that much?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You seem higher on Wahlstrom than most people. Anything specific you like about him that much?

Same reasons I like Zadina. Big strong RH snipers with puck skills. They score from the same areas. Both kind of give off Tarasenko vibes.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don’t think Zadina is that much better than Wahlstrom. Very similar players.

Wahlstrom has looked really good the last couple of times I have watched him. You have me as a convert. I also think he is a bit more self reliant than I had originally thought (maybe more so than Zadina as well). I can see him pushing down a block of defensemen on draft day.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Picking up an elite defenseman or centerman is better than picking up an elite winger.
Point out that elite center for me. I like Boqvist and Bouchard a lot, but there's a lot to like in those 3 wingers. I love Wahlstrom too, I pretty much love all the top 8-9 prospects more than I have in a long time, I'd be fine with any tbh. But that could have something to do with us being in the running for all of them for once.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I just disagree with the use of the term impactful. I think a couple of guys have the potential to stick past nine games, but I am not expecting many earth shattering rookie performances from this group. If you are expecting Zadina or Tkachuk (who I love for the record) to bust out like Laine did as a rookie, you are going to be disappointed.

The strength of this draft is still its defensemen in my eyes, harder to project or not. The better argument for taking a forward earlier is that the defensemen in the 25-40 range probably project better than the forwards in that range.

There is still a lot of hockey to be played, but my money says that there will only be one of the big four wings left on the board when we pick. Time will tell though.
I guess the word impactful might be strong, I wasn't implying they'd be sure thing near ppg players in their rookie year, but I think Nico Hishier is having a hell of a season as a 19 year old, even Jesper Bratt. It's a hard league for kids under 20.

Jul 30, 2005
Point out that elite center for me. I like Boqvist and Bouchard a lot, but there's a lot to like in those 3 wingers. I love Wahlstrom too, I pretty much love all the top 8-9 prospects more than I have in a long time, I'd be fine with any tbh. But that could have something to do with us being in the running for all of them for once.
You're not going to like my answer. Maybe I'm alone in my opinion, but I'll stick by it and we'll see what happens.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
And I think a 75% chance at an elite winger is better than a 25% chance at an elite defender (Idk the actual percentages)

We need ANY elite player at this point. I want to give myself the best chance at getting one. My list starts with Dahlin, then moves on to those three wingers.

If we already had elite players I would probably adjust my strategy to favor positions where we don't have elite players, but as of now I'm just trying to get anyone. Kane was just as important to the hawks cups as Toews and Keith and I'd be completely happy with an elite winger in this draft.

You are focusing too much on "impact next season", I just mentioned it as a benefit of drafting a winger....its an easier transition. Its not that they're a less talented but safer pick (a point that ezekial just touched on).

If I'm in charge, if we win a lotto pick you can't pass on Zadina/Svech if we pick at 2 or 3. However, if we pick in the 4-10 range, which is the most likely scenario, we need to take a D. The fact that there is an abundance of D projected to go in the top 12 means there will be one available no matter where we pick.

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Then it gets interesting based on people's personal preferences. It is extremely unlikely that we pick in the 4-6 range though. It'll either be a top 3 pick with some luck on our side, or in the 7-11 range.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah... we either hit the lotto (1-3), or we are probably drafting 6-10. Which actually might be a blessing in disguise, depending how you look at it. That's looking like the sweet spot for defenseman in this draft. I'd like to draft as high as possible, but if we can get the 3rd or so defenseman off the board there I will take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad