Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
#FallinforDahlin.

I watched I, Tonya yesterday (great movie). Maybe somebody should hire Jeff Gilooly to set up a whack job on Larkin's knee to improve our chances.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
It's actually re-signs, meaning, "to sign (with) again". Resigns means, "to quit".

A minor detail, but it's always been a pet peeve of mine, when talking sports.
I have always thought we could use a grammar cop. I know with cells folks aren't careful and foreign fans may have difficulty learning English, but IMHO it would add to understanding and the ability to communicate one's thoughts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's actually re-signs, meaning, "to sign (with) again". Resigns means, "to quit".

A minor detail, but it's always been a pet peeve of mine, when talking sports.

“Complimentary player” kills me, and it’s used all the time... It’s complementary.

com·ple·men·ta·ry
ˌkämpləˈment(ə)rē/adjective
  1. 1.
    combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other or another.

Reactions: Sleestack

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
“Complimentary player” kills me, and it’s used all the time... It’s complementary.

com·ple·men·ta·ry
  1. 1.
    combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other or another.
That deserves a compliment for being so complete.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Back on topic - this kid (Ruslan Iskhakov) is small, but he has some Datsyuk to his game.

Reactions: martinez

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

com·ple·men·ta·ry
  1. 1.
What if they are referring to someone who compliments his teammates a lot?

Reactions: Skippy73

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
That Russian kid doesn’t have some flashes of Pavel in him. Could we get him with an early 3rd? Not sure where he’s ranked

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
One of the benefits of having all these picks is they could take him in the 2nd/3rd and still have other picks to use on "safer" players

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
One of the benefits of having all these picks is they could take him in the 2nd/3rd and still have other picks to use on "safer" players

I know it is far too early to really assess last year's draft, but it looks like we made too many "safe" picks last year on guys that probably will never pan out. I am ready for us to draft skill. I don't know enough about this Russian kid to comment, but those goals are nice. Gamble on skill, and maybe we find a gem. Tampa and Washington do not shy away from the Russians, I think it's worth a 3rd rounder to gamble on players with incredible skill.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm just throwing it out there... The last guy that Detroit took a shot on because he had, "Flashes of Datsyuk" was Tomas Jurco.

Reactions: mjtm777

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I'm just throwing it out there... The last guy that Detroit took a shot on because he had, "Flashes of Datsyuk" was Tomas Jurco.
Who said they picked him because of that? I mean in the organization, not media or fans.

Based on historical data, chances of finding a top-6 forward where Jurco was drafted are about 10%.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Gotta take the chance anyway. We need elite players and they're one in a million outside the first round or the top3 picks. But that's what we need. Not more top9 talent.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Gotta take the chance anyway. We need elite players and they're one in a million outside the first round or the top3 picks. But that's what we need. Not more top9 talent.

Well the convenient spot we're in is that we've got enough picks that we can afford to go for high risk high reward guys, and if only one or two pan out we're still in good shape.

... That being said, that still doesn't mean that's how Holland is going to draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad