Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Considering the way the Wings have drafted under him...that sounds about right.

Is anything that he said patently wrong though? I don't have a strong opinion of him one way or another, but I do agree you can't always swing of the fences. For better or worse, what really prevented the whole rebuild-on-the-fly was shanking the McCollum, Kindl and to a lesser degree Smith picks. We cannot miss on any more first round picks for the foreseeable future.

I find the whole "he loves size" thing a bit too simplistic

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Perhaps, but who are all of these big swings that we passed on apart from the usual first-round suspects? There are certainly a couple here and there but that was a pretty frumpy draft in terms of depth.

What Vegas did sure looks pretty impressive to me.

Excluding Glass - Suzuki, Brannstrom, Hague, Elvenes, Dugan

McPhee navigated a weak draft beautifully. Ironically enough, McPhee says swinging for the fences is the only way to go. A man after my own heart.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
At the current moment, I’m really hoping for one of Ty Smith, Noah Dobson, or Quinn Hughes. Would probably be my “short list”. But it’s early still, a lot can change.

Really want Dahlin or Quinn. I know the lottery will have to smile on us, but one of those two would be huge. I like Smith and Dobson but I have them below the other two.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What Vegas did sure looks pretty impressive to me.

Excluding Glass - Suzuki, Brannstrom, Hague, Elvenes, Dugan

McPhee navigated a weak draft beautifully. Ironically enough, McPhee says swinging for the fences is the only way to go. A man after my own heart.

I can't knock their draft class (though I don't find Hague all that skilled notwithstanding his junior production), but all of those guys went about where they were projected to go. Maybe they took Brannstrom a bit early but that was about it. Anyways, I don't consider these to be huge swings.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
You gotta imagine McPhee is a little upset that they wont have a shot at the top of this years draft, if they continue playing the way they have. They need a superstar.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can't knock their draft class (though I don't find Hague all that skilled notwithstanding his junior production), but all of those guys went about where they were projected to go. Maybe they took Brannstrom a bit early but that was about it. Anyways, I don't consider these to be huge swings.

Going where they were projected to go is irrelevant. That’s a skilled group of guys to walk away with in a weaker draft.

Brayden Point and Kucherov went where they were projected to go, too.

Swinging big isn’t about reaching, its about taking skilled guys with high upside.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really want Dahlin or Quinn. I know the lottery will have to smile on us, but one of those two would be huge. I like Smith and Dobson but I have them below the other two.

Don’t think we will need a ton of luck for Hughes. I know he is your clear cut #3 guy, but I’d be surprised if he went there. I think Boqvist and Zadina are ahead of him for now. Decent shot he should be there.

I like Hughes a lot... Still not sure compared to those other 2 if he will be a guy you can play in all situations, though.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don’t think we will need a ton of luck for Hughes. I know he is your clear cut #3 guy, but I’d be surprised if he went there. I think Boqvist and Zadina are ahead of him for now. Decent shot he should be there.

Still not sure compared to those other 2 if he will be a guy you can play in all situations, though.

That is true. I do overvalue him. I want him over Boqvist for sure and I was probably the minority, well until he rips up the WJC this week. :nod:

But honestly I would be over the moon if we drafted him. Whenever I see him down near six I get excited.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That is true. I do overvalue him. I want him over Boqvist for sure and I was probably the minority, well until he rips up the WJC this week. :nod:

But honestly I would be over the moon if we drafted him. Whenever I see him down near six I get excited.

He’s been unreal for USA every time he’s suited up, so I don’t expect that to change.

I’d be very happy with the Hughes pick as well, for what it’s worth. Have this strange feeling we end up with both of them :)

Haven’t seen much of Boqvist, but seems like a lot of people have him as the #3 guy at the moment. Looking forward to Bob’s mid-season ranking to see if that holds up.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

The Boqvist thing is getting a little weird to me. Like how is it that such a highly thought of prospect has yet to spend a meaningful amount of time in *any* of Sweden's men's leagues? This is where you defer to your European scouts, I guess, but that factor makes me a little anxious. And now no WJC, too? Damn. I guess I'll have to pay special attention to the U-18s.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
How upset would you be if the Wings took Brady Tkachuk? He's probably not a center, but he's a helluva playmaker in tight, and he's overall a darn good stickhandler. He's sort of a big power-playmaker type. If Rasmussen is really going to be a center, I could see Tkachuk as a good guy to play with him.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Tkachuk+Rasmussen would be a nice duo and if you add a sniper to the bunch, it would one dangerous line. But this draft is full of very talented D, so draft defence this year and draft top-6 playmaker at the next draft.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Calen Addison is really something. Would love to see us pick up a late 1st and snag him with it. Reminds me of a young Mike Green with his diverse offensive arsenal on the PP but with much better wheels and more character.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How upset would you be if the Wings took Brady Tkachuk? He's probably not a center, but he's a helluva playmaker in tight, and he's overall a darn good stickhandler. He's sort of a big power-playmaker type. If Rasmussen is really going to be a center, I could see Tkachuk as a good guy to play with him.

Tkachuk could be alright... but the only forwards I really want in the top 10 are named Svechnikov and Wahlstrom. Farabee is a guy who’s name I haven’t seen mentioned at all that I think is actually a pretty talented forward. But all of these guys are wingers, so I’m leaning towards defenseman unless we get lucky and get the #2 spot. Svechnikov is so good he’d be worth it.

Otherwise keep it simple... take whoever the top defenseman on your board is. Should be a bunch of good ones there with our first pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
WJC kicks off today. Some 2018 draft eligibles in action. If you get NHL network, you can tune in.

12 PM EST - Czech vs Russia - Jakub Lauko (CZE)
4 PM EST - Canada vs Finland - Rasmus Kupari (FIN)
8 PM EST - Denmark vs USA - Quinn Hughes (USA) & Brady Tkachuk (USA)

Also as far as our prospects go, Kotkansalo is playing at 4 PM, and I am assuming Setkov is playing at 8 PM.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Brady Tkachuk would be an alright pick depending on where the wings end up. I know a lot of people (myself included) want the wings to draft Dmen but depending on how the draft shakes out that might not make the most sense. If the wings end up picking 7th lets say, the smart pick really could be Tkachuk or Zadina. I know the wings have wingers, but they really just need talent first and foremost at all positions really. D or C are preferable but adding talent should be the start. If you get talent you can trade it for a center or D 3 years from now worst case ontario

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brady Tkachuk would be an alright pick depending on where the wings end up. I know a lot of people (myself included) want the wings to draft Dmen but depending on how the draft shakes out that might not make the most sense. If the wings end up picking 7th lets say, the smart pick really could be Tkachuk or Zadina. I know the wings have wingers, but they really just need talent first and foremost at all positions really. D or C are preferable but adding talent should be the start. If you get talent you can trade it for a center or D 3 years from now worst case ontario

I agree that they do need high end talent...

However, good luck trading a winger for an equal quality center or defenseman. Doesn't really happen. There should be plenty of good options for defenseman with whichever pick we get in the top 10 though, in my opinion. So not too worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad