Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Well right now we are picking Akil Thomas with the 26th pick on tankathon. Kinda funny seeing Dallas, Nashville and San Jose picking top 3.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Man if Detroit could land the #1 overall pick next year, It could be a tough decision on rather to draft either Dahlin or Svechnikov. But i would love to have that decision to make.

Doesn’t svechnikov play winger? That makes it a no brainer. It’s pretty easy even if he’s a center. 1D>1C

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Man if Detroit could land the #1 overall pick next year, It could be a tough decision on rather to draft either Dahlin or Svechnikov. But i would love to have that decision to make.

Not a tough choice, anybody that passes on Dahlin is going to look bad. I like Svechnikov a ton, but the #1 pick is Dahlin and for me that is a no contest kind of statement.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a tough choice, anybody that passes on Dahlin is going to look bad. I like Svechnikov a ton, but the #1 pick is Dahlin and for me that is a no contest kind of statement.

I wonder if some team gets tripped up because of the track record of #1 selected defenseman in the past. It really isn't too great. Svech will provide earlier returns more than likely, and defenseman are considerably harder to project.

I think Dahlin will probably end up going #1, and is the right pick at #1, but I could see some teams being skeptical.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I wonder if some team gets tripped up because of the track record of #1 selected defenseman in the past. It really isn't too great. Svech will provide earlier returns more than likely, and defenseman are considerably harder to project.

I think Dahlin will probably end up going #1, and is the right pick at #1, but I could see some teams being skeptical.

I think that concern will be very muted because as good as Svech is, he is still a wing.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is kind of obvious, but it depends on how badly that team needs a winger. If Svechnikov fills a need, the fact that he's very, very likely to translate has got to be appealing to you. Dahlin is the better prospect, but defense is a riskier position to draft, and history is not on the side of teams taking defensemen so high. It's sort of like a more moderated version of the goalie effect, where teams would be extremely shy to draft a goalie in the top 5 because of the natural variation built into the development curve of that position. It certainly appears there's a lot less of that when it comes to drafting forwards, and wingers especially.

Obviously, if you're good on wingers, Dahlin is worth the gamble. But the reduction in uncertainty gained by drafting Svechnikov can be really attractive in the right circumstances, IMO. Which would never happen in Detroit, of course. We have wingers out the ears.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Another wrinkle to the top pick is Detroit already has his brother.

Personally, at this point, I'd pick Dahlin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Outside of the top ranked guys, here are some guys putting up some numbers so far...

OHL:
Allan McShane - 10 pts in 6 GP
Serron Noel RW - 8 pts in 6 GP
Pavel Gogolev RW - 7 pts in 7 GP
Riley Damiani C - 7 pts in 8 PG
Nathan Dunkley C - 6 pts in 6 GP

QMJHL
Noah Dobson D - 9 pts in 8 GP
Yegor Sokolov RW - 7 pts in 8 GP
Vladislav Kotkov LW - 7 pts in 7 GP
Xavier Bernard D - 5 pts in 6 GP

WHL
Cole Fonstad C/LW - 8 pts in 6 GP
Eric Florchuk C - 8 pts in 6 GP
Calen Addison D - 6 pts in 6 GP

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Outside of the top ranked guys, here are some guys putting up some numbers so far...

OHL:
Allan McShane - 10 pts in 6 GP
Serron Noel RW - 8 pts in 6 GP
Pavel Gogolev RW - 7 pts in 7 GP
Riley Damiani C - 7 pts in 8 PG
Nathan Dunkley C - 6 pts in 6 GP

QMJHL
Noah Dobson D - 9 pts in 8 GP
Yegor Sokolov RW - 7 pts in 8 GP
Vladislav Kotkov LW - 7 pts in 7 GP
Xavier Bernard D - 5 pts in 6 GP

WHL
Cole Fonstad C/LW - 8 pts in 6 GP
Eric Florchuk C - 8 pts in 6 GP
Calen Addison D - 6 pts in 6 GP

Damiani
Dobson
Addison

Players of interest.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Totally agree if we're fortunate to get the #1 overall pick, You've to go with Rasmus Dahlin he's a left handed version of Erik Karlsson have to love that.

I wouldn't even call Dahlin a variant of Karlsson. Dahlin's defensive awareness at his age/level is beyond solid. This is not just a new and improved version of Kylington/Liljegren. I'd argue that Dahlin is a lot more bankable than most highly ranked defenseman. You can't play the way he does without having something special going on upstairs. And his physical package doesn't scare either.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I wouldn't even call Dahlin a variant of Karlsson. Dahlin's defensive awareness at his age/level is beyond solid. This is not just a new and improved version of Kylington/Liljegren. I'd argue that Dahlin is a lot more bankable than most highly ranked defenseman. You can't play the way he does without having something special going on upstairs. And his physical package doesn't scare either.
Probably should've said that Rasmus Dahlin, Is a far superior version of Erik Karlsson at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad