Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Ok jet woo is not that good. I've seen him play over 30 times. Let's get real

He's got a lot of nice tools. He should show more offense this season.
I definitely respect your opinion because you've watched him more than me. Since its early I can only really go from scouting reports and limited viewings.

I figured merkley and wahlstrom were the ones that people would respond to lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really like the American kids in this draft... would love Wilde, Wahlstrom, or Hughes. UMich is going to have a crazy blue line with Hughes and Wilde, assuming Hughes isn't one and done.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Really like the American kids in this draft... would love Wilde, Wahlstrom, or Hughes. UMich is going to have a crazy blue line with Hughes and Wilde, assuming Hughes isn't one and done.

The USNDP class is so much better than last year's. How they compare to the best USNDP classes I can't really tell. I am really excited to see how these kids look at the end of this season and to see if any of them really stand out above the others.

Re: your earlier post about Merkley. I am very bearish on the Wings this year and expect that we will be drafting well within the top 10 this year. Merkley needs to show some meaningful development with his defensive game before I will be willing to take him that high. If he does not want to get better defensively he will be a bust at the NHL level (or converted to wing). The good news for him is that a full year is a TON of development time at that age.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The USNDP class is so much better than last year's. How they compare to the best USNDP classes I can't really tell. I am really excited to see how these kids look at the end of this season and to see if any of them really stand out above the others.

Re: your earlier post about Merkley. I am very bearish on the Wings this year and expect that we will be drafting well within the top 10 this year. Merkley needs to show some meaningful development with his defensive game before I will be willing to take him that high. If he does not want to get better defensively he will be a bust at the NHL level (or converted to wing). The good news for him is that a full year is a TON of development time at that age.

From what I understand, Guelph has a new coach that runs a more defensive system. Browsing the Guelph thread, he seems to already be playing a cleaner defensive game.

I just think the way he skates, and what he can do with the puck is too special to pass on. I mean Tyson Barrie can't really defend, but he can point up points like no one's business. Yandle was like that too for a long time. I'd still take those guys on my team, all things considered.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Every time I go through a list like that it just reminds me more how incredible this draft could be. We really need another first or two. Woo at the end of the first? Yes please.
I love it, wilde isn't high on the list either. This draft looks crazy deep

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

I think Hughes will do at least 2 years at Michigan.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If we miraculously end up with a top two pick, what are the odds Holland trades back instead of taking one of dahlin/svech?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If we miraculously end up with a top two pick, what are the odds Holland trades back instead of taking one of dahlin/svech?

Zero. The idea that Holland wouldn't select one of those two really is reaching to have an I hate Holland moment.

Really no realistic chance that teams entertain not taking those two guys, I am not even sure they will pretend in the press to listen this year like they do in some other years.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Milos Roman was Slovakia's top line center at the Hlinka, and has 4 pts in 3 games far in the WHL.

Hockeyprospect.com has him ranked #29, but he looks like a guy that will be a riser. Should probably get a big role at the WJC.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

There are only two situations in which Ken Holland would trade a pick that could land Dahlin. Offer him one of those ludicrous packages like top 4 assets in your organization (the kinds people were putting together in the topics about what it would take to trade for McDavid) or he knew somehow for damn sure that the team he was swapping with didn't want Dahlin or lil' Svech and he'd still land them (the Mantha pick).

Neither of these is remotely realistic, so the chance is zero.

o_O It is ****ing mindblowing to see people so damn determined to show that a legitimate hall of fame GM is a doddering fool that they literally make up ridiculous scenarios to say "Oh, man, he's so bad, he'd totally do this" When there is plenty of evidence that what is being suggested is flat out stupid.

If Ken Holland lands a #1 or #2 OA, he's not trading it... unless it's a Herschel Walker type deal (multiple top prospects, multiple high draft picks, and a player or two who can play now.'

I can understand wanting a change at the helm. Holland has been there too long and he has gotten stale. However, how about we stick to foibles he actually has and not pin hopes on entirely made up scenarios to try to hasten his way out of town.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There are only two situations in which Ken Holland would trade a pick that could land Dahlin. Offer him one of those ludicrous packages like top 4 assets in your organization (the kinds people were putting together in the topics about what it would take to trade for McDavid) or he knew somehow for damn sure that the team he was swapping with didn't want Dahlin or lil' Svech and he'd still land them (the Mantha pick).

Neither of these is remotely realistic, so the chance is zero.

o_O It is ****ing mindblowing to see people so damn determined to show that a legitimate hall of fame GM is a doddering fool that they literally make up ridiculous scenarios to say "Oh, man, he's so bad, he'd totally do this" When there is plenty of evidence that what is being suggested is flat out stupid.

If Ken Holland lands a #1 or #2 OA, he's not trading it... unless it's a Herschel Walker type deal (multiple top prospects, multiple high draft picks, and a player or two who can play now.'

I can understand wanting a change at the helm. Holland has been there too long and he has gotten stale. However, how about we stick to foibles he actually has and not pin hopes on entirely made up scenarios to try to hasten his way out of town.

It's not something anyone should be worried about. The frequency in which top 3-5 picks get moved AFTER the lottery is determined is so low, it's not even worth discussing or being worried about.

I believe the Islanders offered Columbus every single draft pick they had in the 2012 draft to move up and draft Ryan Murray, and Columbus rejected it.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's not something anyone should be worried about. The frequency in which top 3-5 picks get moved AFTER the lottery is determined is so low, it's not even worth discussing or being worried about.

I believe the Islanders offered Columbus every single draft pick they had in the 2012 draft to move up and draft Ryan Murray, and Columbus rejected it.
I remember that rumor. Both of those gms should have been fired. The islanders for offering that deal and Columbus for rejecting it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ty Smith is ripping it up so far. He might have more offense than he's been getting credit for. He could be a Cale Makar type for this draft.

I said on the prospect board he kinda reminds me of Brian Campbell. He's a pretty good all-around player, I think he's much better defensively than Makar was at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad