2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
OEL is definitely going to re-sign. The Coyotes are definitely going to draft who they feel is BPA. If that’s Quinn Hughes, they’re going to take him. Always get the best asset.
Have you guys heard who BPA might be or is it still too early in the process for any whispers to be coming out?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Have you guys heard who BPA might be or is it still too early in the process for any whispers to be coming out?
Phoenix is not like Vancouver. Our media doesn’t care enough to even attempt to get inside info. They report on whatever the team tells them to report on. We’re never going to get credible rumors about our pre-draft rankings.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Phoenix is not like Vancouver. Our media doesn’t care enough to even attempt to get inside info. They report on whatever the team tells them to report on. We’re never going to get credible rumors about our pre-draft rankings.
Oh that sucks some of the predraft speculation is the best part. I'm sure you guys will get a great prospect whoever it is the top 9-12 seem to be real solid picks even dropping down and adding a pick or two in the process could be totally worth it for anyone in that 4-8 range.

rt

May 13, 2004
Oh that sucks some of the predraft speculation is the best part. I'm sure you guys will get a great prospect whoever it is the top 9-12 seem to be real solid picks even dropping down and adding a pick or two in the process could be totally worth it for anyone in that 4-8 range.
If Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Hughes are the first four picks, I’d like to trade back to 8th or 9th. Not any further than that.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
So hypothetically...

BUF - Dahlin
CAR - Svechnikov
MTL - Zadina
OTT - Hughes/Boqvist
AZ - ...

If OTT goes defense, we have an interesting case on our hands. We get to pick between Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, and one of Hughes/Boqvist. Chayka doesn't seem like the type to make a political pick, but if Tkachuk is there at 5, would we say the chances of us picking him are fairly higher than the rest of the candidates around that spot?

rt

May 13, 2004
Chayka doesn’t care about Keith Tkachuk. Neither does this market. He was a pain in the ass who never won anything here anyway. But Chayka might have Brady in his top three for all we know. Nothing to do with nostalgia, though.

He fired Shane Doan at breakfast BEFORE they even ordered breakfast. Chayka does NOT have warm and fuzzies. Haha.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If GMDM was still here, our pick would be Tkachuk without question. In fact, we'd probably had we had the 2nd pick, Maloney would still have selected Tkachuk.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Tkachuk is going to be an excellent NHL player. He's likely going at 3.
I rewatched a few WJC games with focus on just Brady and Hughes. I like Brady, but nowhere near as much as Hughes.

I’m really liking Hughes at the WC too. He’s getting better and better as the coaching staff is sheltering him less and less. He’s also stepping up to level of competition. I liked him much more against Finland than against Germany for example.

My present list:
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Hughes
4. Zadina
5. Wahlstrom
6. Kotkaniemi
7. Tkachuk
8. Bouchard
9. Dobson
10. Boqvist

If my top 4 are gone at 5, I want to trade back to 8 or 9. I like Hughes and Zadina a great deal more than Wahlstrom. It’s a big gap for me.

rt

May 13, 2004
Been impressed with Hughes at the WC as well. But ahead of Zadina??
He’s number one in entertainment. :) I’ve said I like his skills top three or four. I had concerns about adaptability and translation to the next level. He’s alleviating those concerns at the WC for me. I’m over the moon with the skill and I’m less and less concerned about anything else.

I like Zadina a lot, though. It’s close. I’ll change my mind again. :)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We need shooters, no reason to pass on the best shooter in the draft. If Wahlstrom is sitting there, he could certainly pot 40 playing with Keller for sure. Playing w/Keller is like playing with Jack Hughes and Wahlstrom does it really well.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We need shooters, no reason to pass on the best shooter in the draft. If Wahlstrom is sitting there, he could certainly pot 40 playing with Keller for sure. Playing w/Keller is like playing with Jack Hughes and Wahlstrom does it really well.

Wahlstrom wanting to go D1 kinda bothers me. But not enough to make me pass over him. He’s still my pick

rt

May 13, 2004
If Wahlstrom could certainly pot 40 playing with Keller for sure, he’d be going first overall with miles of separation between him and Dahlin.

Wahlstrom is a strong, confident kid with a lethal shot. He’s got a lot of work to do on his game. For starters, he needs to move. His game is mostly just standing around. That’s not going to cut it. I have him in my top five because I like him a lot. I have him over the likes of Bouchard and Tkachuk because I like him a lot. He’s got some serious rounding out to do, however.

rt

May 13, 2004
Wahlstrom wanting to go D1 kinda bothers me. But not enough to make me pass over him. He’s still my pick
He’s not going to sit there in D1 scoring a bazillion goals every year until he’s a free agent. There’s going to be a maximum ELC contract dangling right in front of him the whole time. There’s no reason to be concerned about him going to BC or Michigan. It’ll only be for a year or two. I’ve got no doubt about that.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He’s not going to sit there in D1 scoring a bazillion goals every year until he’s a free agent. There’s going to be a maximum ELC contract dangling right in front of him the whole time. There’s no reason to be concerned about him going to BC or Michigan. It’ll only be for a year or two. I’ve got no doubt about that.

Yeah I’m confident he’ll sign by years end like Keller did. That’s why I’m not worried lol

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Will be interesting to see the impact on BU prospects now that Dave Quinn is gone (becoming HC of the NYR).

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Yeah I’m confident he’ll sign by years end like Keller did. That’s why I’m not worried lol
I agree. I think Zadina and Tkachuk are both gone by five. I bet we keep the pick and take Wahlstrom. One year at BC or Michigan and he'll sign with the Coyotes. Doubt he plays two college seasons.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Wahlstrom is very, very likely to be there at 8 if we don’t pick him at 5. I’d you want Wahlstrom, grab an extra pick and get him at 8th. He’ll be there.

rt

May 13, 2004
Will be interesting to see the impact on BU prospects now that Dave Quinn is gone (becoming HC of the NYR).
I’m sure Brady has lost any idea of returning due to loyalty. He may return, but it’ll be for personal reasons if he does. Could see him opting for London possibly.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think Wahlstrom is very, very likely to be there at 8 if we don’t pick him at 5. I’d you want Wahlstrom, grab an extra pick and get him at 8th. He’ll be there.

I liked your earlier reasoning for trading down - evaluate the worst possible draft outcome and whether the trade is worth it. Your new rationale doesn't cut it.

If you want Wahlstrom then draft him at 5.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’m sure Brady has lost any idea of returning due to loyalty. He may return, but it’ll be for personal reasons if he does. Could see him opting for London possibly.

Good. I think London is better for him. But I also think he’s pro ready.

rt

May 13, 2004
I liked your earlier reasoning for trading down - evaluate the worst possible draft outcome and whether the trade is worth it. Your new rationale doesn't cut it.

If you want Wahlstrom then draft him at 5.
Let me rephrase, I’ve got Wahlstrom at 5th but I have so little separating him from Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk that I’d DEFINITELY trade down from from 5th if Wahlstrom was my highest rated player there:

1. Dahlin
-
-
2. Svechnikov
-
3/4. Zadina/Hughes
-
-
-
5. Wahlstrom
6. Kotkaniemi
7. Tkachuk