2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thoughts on Cam Hillis at 55? I'd be excited, especially if we go D with pick #5. We picked Schnarr out of Guelph last year, and very nearly picked Ratcliffe before making the trade with Philly. Also, I'm sure we've had eyes on Ryan Merkley all season, apart from tracking Schnarr's progress. I like our OHL scouts a lot. Chayka seems to like them a lot, too. I would guess they've watched Hillis pretty closely, as well as in Russia for the U18.

I love the fact that he's a RHC with a high motor and really impressive puck skills. I honestly didn't get much of an impression from the U18s because he didn't get a ton of minutes, and I wrote him off as being a 5'6 or 5'7 and didn't focus on him as a result. I see him listed as 5'11 everywhere, which is an obvious lie. It is possible he's 5'9, though. That puts him right back on my radar. He's probably the same size Robby Fabbri was in his draft year, anyway. I loved Fabbri. He really lit it up for Guelph, and I see some Fabbri in Hillis' game, honestly. He's not quite so rough and tumble, and he doesn't have shot like Fabbri's. One could argue, though, that Fabbri would be better off today if he toned down his physical aggressiveness. Hillis probably can't snipe like Fabbri, but he's slick like him. I could see him being a player, for sure.

I know we've got some Yotes posters who really follow the OHL. What do you guys think?

If we go with Hughes at 5th, I'd really think about going center crazy after that, and maybe pick up Hillis with the 2nd and maybe Nathan Dunkley with our 3rd.

What about Dunkley? I smell a big sleeper, there. Everyone slept on Dvorak because he was hidden by injury and by the depth in London. Dunkley is maybe a sneaky pick out of London for different reasons. He came over mid-season after the Knights held a scorched earth fire sale and dumped all of their top players over the age of 18. Apart from Evan Bouchard, that whole team took a long time to get their feet under them and figure out their identity and roles and everything else. Dunkley is another high-motor, rambunctious centerman. A bit bigger and a bit more pugnacious than Hillis, for sure. Was great on the dot, and with underrated, untapped skill potential he could project as maybe a Brad Richardson type of third line center.

Let's get some centers!

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
Let's just get a whole mess of centers and hope for the best. Throw shit at the wall strategy:

To Ari: #8 + #27(NSH)
To CHI: #5 + #73(CAR)

#08 = Jesperi Kotkaniemi (LC) - Assat, Liiga
#27 = Ty Dellandrea (RC) - Flint, OHL
#55 = Cam Hillis (RC) - Guelph, OHL
#65 = Nathan Dunkley (LC) - London, OHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Sthlmyote

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Let's just get a whole mess of centers and hope for the best. Throw **** at the wall strategy:

To Ari: #8 + #27(NSH)
To CHI: #5 + #73(CAR)

#08 = Jesperi Kotkaniemi (LC) - Assat, Liiga
#27 = Ty Dellandrea (RC) - Flint, OHL
#55 = Cam Hillis (LC) - Guelph, OHL
#65 = Nathan Dunkley (RC) London, OHL

#would

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd be tempted to use the Minny 2nd on Liam Foudy. Can't go wrong taking a London center. Also helps make up for taking Cam Dineen over Cliff Pu a few years ago.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd be tempted to use the Minny 2nd on Liam Foudy. Can't go wrong taking a London center. Also helps make up for taking Cam Dineen over Cliff Pu a few years ago.
Do you see Foudy as a C long-term? I get very wingy vibes from him. He’s definitely a solid boom/bust pick in terms of high end skill but inconsistent everything else. Late in the 2nd is a great time for home run swings.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yep, don't see him as a C in the show...I like Foudy, but not in any of the first 2 rounds. With one of our 3rds he would be a good pick.
I don’t think he’ll fall to the third. He’s such a great skater with the puck on his stick. It’s just everything else that leaves a lot to be desired. Haha.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I just think that 2nd rounders are guys you're looking to play in the top 6 with some luck. Foudy isn't going to be that guy. He's a 3rd round talent who if he ever makes it will be a 3rd/4th line guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Looks like it's gonna be between Boston College and Michigan for Wahlstrom next year

I do NOT blame him for selecting D1 over the CHL. I'm always surprised when American kids who could have the pick of the litter of D1 schools opt for the CHL. Grueling travel to extremely remote places on a bus. Gruelig scheduling. Living with billets. Getting traded. All kinds of stuff. D1 seems so nice and cozy by comparison. Seems very pampered and everything is all taken care of.

rt

May 13, 2004
I just think that 2nd rounders are guys you're looking to play in the top 6 with some luck. Foudy isn't going to be that guy. He's a 3rd round talent who if he ever makes it will be a 3rd/4th line guy.
You know who Foudy really, really reminds me of? Joakim Lindström. Remember that guy when he played for the Yotes? He'd grab the puck with that great skating of his, and his excellent puck handing. He'd be a one man break-out, and gain the offensive zone and he'd wheel, man. He'd wheel, and wheel, and wheel around the world and maybe around the world again, just for the hell of it. Very rarely were goals actually scored as a result of this. He couldn't even stick in the NHL on the league's worst teams. But boy-oh-boy did he look impressive.

rt

May 13, 2004
If Wahlstrom goes to the Wolverines and Quinn is still there next season, does that basically guarantee that Jack Hughes goes there as well? Holy Powerhouse, Batman! USA hockey basically runs out of Ann Arbor, so it makes all three even more shoe-ins for the WJC team, too.

Let’s draft Quinn, win the lottery for Jack, and trade for Wahlstrom. :)

Reactions: AZviaNJ

rt

May 13, 2004
Did a quick Mock:
Trades:
Hughes was gone at 5th so I traded 5 to Vancouver for 7 and 68
Wahlstrom was gone at 7th so I traded 7 to NYR for 9 and 88
Picks:
1-9-Jesperi Kotkaniemi(C)
2-55-Ty Dellandrea(C)
3-65-David Gustafsson(C)
3-68-Nathan Dunkley(C)
3-74-Liam Foudy(C)
3-88-Alec Regula(RD)
4-96-Ty Emberson(RD)
6-158-Pavel Gogolev(RW)
7-189-Wylie Wyatte(RD)

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Do the Carolina "we need to get big and tough" Hurricanes just simplify this whole process and take Tkachuk at 2?

rt

May 13, 2004
Do the Carolina "we need to get big and tough" Hurricanes just simplify this whole process and take Tkachuk at 2?
Button has him 2nd. Milbury and Button have a lot in common! Haha. Of course the only way that helps us is if Ottawa takes a D no matter what, and neither they, nor Montreal trade their picks. Then we get Zadina. Otherwise, it doesn’t really matter what order Svechnikov, and Zadina and Tkachuk go before our pick. Same outcome.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
If Foudy makes it to the 3rd round its because of off ice problems (possibly not even his from what ive heard), kid is a 1st round talent and from what ive seen was one of the best players on london all year, problem was he was only getting 5 min a game the first half of the year until they unloaded their team (in fact look at the game log.. Very easy to tell when he started getting played.) i want to draft him badly in the second and would move up to do so
Hillis isnt worth a second round pick from the viewings ive seen, id take him with a late third
Merkley is without a doubt not getting picked by Arizona, im hearing that odds are he wont be playing in guelph much longer either. Such a shame hes such a mental case because he is a special talent (defence is the worst ive ever seen from a d though) so cant see chayka being interested in a personality like that
Brazeau in north bay and kellenberger in oakville are older kids i want... Kelly is a great first pass and a very smart two way d
Also love damiani in kitchener... Not big or amazingly skilled but he never stops moving his feet and constantly battles.. If he fills out and gets strong on his skates i could see a solid bottom 6 player

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Good teams don't trade top 7OA picks in B2B years....especially when ELC's are critical to the financial eco-system as is the case in AZ. Last year's move of getting a 1/2C and starting G made sense. Don't see any way we move 5OA unless it's to go up or down 1-2 spots in the draft order this year.

And 5 is great place to be: Dahlin, Svechniknov, Zadina, Hughes, Wahlstrom…..at least 1 of those guys drops to 5, maybe 2.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Hey guys just trying to read the tea leaves here and wondering if it's true (and I don't see much reason to think it's not) that OEL is on the verge of resigning this summer then would that mean Arizona is more likely to go forward (ie Wahlstrom or Tkachuk or Kotkaniemi) or right handed dman (Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist)?

rt

May 13, 2004
Hey guys just trying to read the tea leaves here and wondering if it's true (and I don't see much reason to think it's not) that OEL is on the verge of resigning this summer then would that mean Arizona is more likely to go forward (ie Wahlstrom or Tkachuk or Kotkaniemi) or right handed dman (Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist)?
OEL is definitely going to re-sign. The Coyotes are definitely going to draft who they feel is BPA. If that’s Quinn Hughes, they’re going to take him. Always get the best asset.

Reactions: Agent007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad