2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Let me rephrase, I’ve got Wahlstrom at 5th but I have so little separating him from Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk that I’d DEFINITELY trade down from from 5th if Wahlstrom was my highest rated player there:

1. Dahlin
-
-
2. Svechnikov
-
3/4. Zadina/Hughes
-
-
-
5. Wahlstrom
6. Kotkaniemi
7. Tkachuk
8. Bouchard
9. Dobson
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
10. Boqvist

mad love for you rt, but you're going to be wrong about Boqvist. He's not even who I want to pick at 5, but he is going to prove people wrong.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
mad love for you rt, but you're going to be wrong about Boqvist. He's not even who I want to pick at 5, but he is going to prove people wrong.
I still have him as a top ten prospect. Despite his never having heard of system play and being a concussion case before his eighteenth birthday. He’s got so much skill that I’m willing to put him ahead of Ty Smith and Joel Farabee despite having all those enormous red flags. I like him a lot. He’s the 2nd scariest prospect in the draft behind Merkley.

Reactions: RABBIT

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Let me rephrase, I’ve got Wahlstrom at 5th but I have so little separating him from Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk that I’d DEFINITELY trade down from from 5th if Wahlstrom was my highest rated player there:

Looking at your list... I'd be really comfy trading back as far as 9. Assuming Svech doesn't fall. You aren't really robbing yourself if any of those guys fall to 9. If some team wants to give up a late 1st or 2nd, I'd easily do it. More trade ammo.

rt

May 13, 2004
Good. I think London is better for him. But I also think he’s pro ready.
Now that we actually care about and support our minor league team and now that we have a good coaching staff down there, I don’t hate the idea of using Tucson for development. It seems to be going well for a few of our other top picks like Strome, Crouse, and Merkley. I’d be okay with Tkachuk or Wahlstrom down there next season or the season after.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Now that we actually care about and support our minor league team and now that we have a good coaching staff down there, I don’t hate the idea of using Tucson for development. It seems to be going well for a few of our other top picks like Strome, Crouse, and Merkley. I’d be okay with Tkachuk or Wahlstrom down there next season or the season after.
That's a big bonus of drafting outside of the CHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Grant McCagg making the push for Kotkaniemi:

rt mentioned awhile back that the Yotes might pick Kotkaniemi and I said I would be shocked. Maybe I should just shut up because I don't follow these kids like you guys do.:laugh:

JeiJeieL

Jun 15, 2015
Kemi, Finland
Kotkaniemi plays for FEL-team Ässät and Raanta played also there before going to NHL. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but since we have brought some swedes for OEL, maybe it could.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t think it would be much of a reach. McKenzie poll had him top ten BEFORE he dropped jaws and won a gold medal at the U18s. Also, he polls scouts who rank in a vacuum. The actual draft involves General Managers who are more likely to consider organization depth and premium positions.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm sure I can dig it up when I'm home, but if anyone remembers off hand where was Barkov ranked before the draft and where was he ranked the December before the draft? I remember him being a reach, but not by much correct?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Thanks, tried to find some earlier rankings for that draft year but couldnt. I know he was somewhat of a riser, but if I remember correctly not as much as Monahan and it seems like he was more firmly planted as a top 10 pick all season, rather than Kotkaniemi who has climbed from the late teens to top ten. Kotkaniemi looks impressive but seems to have consistency issues that Barkov didnt show his draft year, but has tons of room to improve. He may be one of the most interesting prospects this year as the draft approaches.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So VEGAS wins and the Jets are done. Lots of contract issues to deal with in the off season. Level of interest in the following:

Perrault
Little
Armia
Dano
Myers
Kulikov

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dobson is as advertised. Just solid all around game and surprisingly putting up some great numbers thus far at Memorial Cup. Big, smart, skilled RD.

Reactions: Antonche

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So VEGAS wins and the Jets are done. Lots of contract issues to deal with in the off season. Level of interest in the following:

Perrault
Little
Armia
Dano
Myers
Kulikov

I'd be very interested in Little but the Jets just extended him to a fairly reasonable six year deal, I see no reason why they'd effectively do a sign and trade.

Armia would be an interesting add, he's still only 24, has size, is RH shot, and puts up solid P/60 at even strength despite taking a lot of defensive zone starts.

Reactions: Antonche

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Perrault
Little
Armia
Dano
Myers
Kulikov

Myers is interesting in particular because his salary is lower than his cap hit.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like Dobson. He’s solid. I’m not sure I see a wow factor though. Sort of like Juolevi a few years back.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I like Dobson. He’s solid. I’m not sure I see a wow factor though. Sort of like Juolevi a few years back.

I can see the comparison with Juolevi a bit (and subsequent risk), but Dobson has put up better offensive numbers in his draft year. Also has a better point shot than Juolevi, which will translate to points. His offensive game is certainly unflashy compared to Hughes or Boqvist, but I think it's still solid enough to translate to being a 40 point top pairing guy, while also being an excellent shutdown D. Suter/Pietrangelo are very good comparables - neither have particularly elite/gamebreaking offensive traits, but they can still rack up points.

That said, I'd still take Wahlstrom over any of the defenders not named Dahlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad