2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Perlini? Maybe Zadina is more of a puck hound throughout an entire game, but having two Perlinis scares me. Or is Zadina's shot better?
Perlini still hasn't proven he can get into position to score goals 5v5 consistently. Zadina can do that and create oppertunities for himself as well. He's a dynamic offensive talent. I also like Halifax's track record producing elite offensive talent

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Perlini still hasn't proven he can get into position to score goals 5v5 consistently. Zadina can do that and create oppertunities for himself as well. He's a dynamic offensive talent. I also like Halifax's track record producing elite offensive talent

I dont doubt it. I think I have completely unreasonable reservations about him. Maybe its size, some of the shots Ive seen (to me he doesnt makes eyes flying out yr cranium type plays) but if he is consistent and can hit the corners that is something we are lacking.

After two games against the Canucks, how did we only score 3 goals? Does Zadina help in this department more than Wahlstrom (who I think has been able to take over games lately) or one of the puck movong defensemen? I guess I get Alex Nylander vibes from Zadina and I dont particularly think highly of A. Nylander.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I dont doubt it. I think I have completely unreasonable reservations about him. Maybe its size, some of the shots Ive seen (to me he doesnt makes eyes flying out yr cranium type plays) but if he is consistent and can hit the corners that is something we are lacking.

After two games against the Canucks, how did we only score 3 goals? Does Zadina help in this department more than Wahlstrom (who I think has been able to take over games lately) or one of the puck movong defensemen? I guess I get Alex Nylander vibes from Zadina and I dont particularly think highly of A. Nylander.
I’ve only seen Zadina play 7 games. It was at the WJC and he had 7 goals in them, as a draft eligible. That’s extremely impressive to me. As is his full arsenal of shot selection and scoring method. He strikes me as a pure sniper who’s got top notch NHL scoring ability and instincts right now. Dude has 42g in 54gp as a rookie import in the chl. That’s incredible. For reference, Nikolaj Ehlers had 49g in 63gp as an import rookie in his draft year. That’s 0.78 goals/game. Zadina’s 42/54 is also exactly 0.78.

I rewatched he WJC recently and found myself a whole lot more impressed with Zadina than Tkachuk in the tournament.

Reactions: Grimes

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Trade down?
No. We have a talent deficit. It’s time for quality over quantity. We should take the top available player on our list and not play games. I like Ktachuk but not at 1-3. Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No. We have a talent deficit. It’s time for quality over quantity. We should take the top available player on our list and not play games. I like Ktachuk but not at 1-3. Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina.

I think the point of trading down would be to get real NHL assets from another team in exchange for a lower pick, not to get more draft assets, and I think if we're not picking in the top 3 we absolutely, 100% should do that if we can get the right deal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the point of trading down would be to get real NHL assets from another team in exchange for a lower pick, not to get more draft assets, and I think if we're not picking in the top 3 we absolutely, 100% should do that if we can get the right deal.
We lost the 7 oa last year so there is no way I want to lose another.

Reactions: Heldig

rt

May 13, 2004
I haven't seen any of some of these guys, but I'd say my Top 10 (very uninformed) is something like:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4-10. Some order of Tkachuk, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Ty Smith

rt

May 13, 2004
and who can forget he did this when he was 9yrs old

Taking a look at his USHL production as a draft eligible tells an impressive story. Looking purely at USHL numbers, he's had a better points-per-game (1.71) than other recent top picks like Connor(1.43), Keller(1.61), Bellows(1.39), and Bowers(0.85). That's with putting up exactly 1 goal per game. Whoa.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Taking a look at his USHL production as a draft eligible tells an impressive story. Looking purely at USHL numbers, he's had a better points-per-game (1.71) than other recent top picks like Connor(1.43), Keller(1.61), Bellows(1.39), and Bowers(0.85). That's with putting up exactly 1 goal per game. Whoa.

One of the main reasons why I'd think Wahlstrom would be a BPA at 4-5 and I'd have zero problems drafting him there if we miss out on the top three. This draft is deep with quality D that we can get in the later rounds. And a winger logjam can always be resolved through trade.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
One of the main reasons why I'd think Wahlstrom would be a BPA at 4-5 and I'd have zero problems drafting him there if we miss out on the top three. This draft is deep with quality D that we can get in the later rounds. And a winger logjam can always be resolved through trade.
I think we should always draft BPA versus need. We made the mistake of taking Strome over Marner based on need (in my opinion).

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Still too early to definitively call that one. Marner certainly has made more of an impact than Strome, but both are still at the point in their early careers where fortunes can easily change.
All I am saying is at the time, Marner was BPA but we took Strome based on need. I am a big proponent of wingers being the least valuable and easiest to replace players, but you should always draft BPA. Think about what we could get for Marner as part of a package to help fill our needs at C had we drafted him as an example.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
All I am saying is at the time, Marner was BPA but we took Strome based on need. I am a big proponent of wingers being the least valuable and easiest to replace players, but you should always draft BPA. Think about what we could get for Marner as part of a package to help fill our needs at C had we drafted him as an example.
Was marner bpa though? Lots of people had strome marner and hanifin pretty tight. I agree with taking the best player, but I'm not sure strome being taken over marner is an example of picking for need going wrong.

Reactions: SniperHF

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I personally wanted Hanifin at that position, thought he was BPA at the time.

It doesn't help that I'm more biased towards NCAA players as I think their games are further along when they come out (whether they stayed for four year or just one) but I still valued the smooth skating, #1D potential over the poor skating Strome.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Im not convinced Marner would have looked great playing woth our C core last season, and probably would have looked pretty similar to Keller this year. Do you think he is putting up 10-15 points more than Keller a season because of his own skill, or who he plays with?

I could dig through my posts, but I know I was floating the idea of trading back to the 6 range as I had Provorov, Werenski and Barzal not too far from the 3-5 picks.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Dug it up. This is in reference to Columbus rumors at the time, if I remember there was thought they would want to love to the 3-5 area for their 8th and Rychel.

I think if we move to 8 and grab some real nice pieces in the process you could possibly move some of those for a youngish center. NYR could use some space and I wonder if moving some of our winger prospects for a Stepan/Brassard could work.

Draft Barzal/Zacha and let them develop for another year or two while Stepan/Brassard take first line duties.

30th+Rychle or Samuelsson+NYR 2nd for Stepan/Brassard?

The trade value for Stepan/Brassard is kinda off but interesting that we landed one none the least.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Was marner bpa though? Lots of people had strome marner and hanifin pretty tight. I agree with taking the best player, but I'm not sure strome being taken over marner is an example of picking for need going wrong.

I personally wanted Hanifin at that position, thought he was BPA at the time.

It doesn't help that I'm more biased towards NCAA players as I think their games are further along when they come out (whether they stayed for four year or just one) but I still valued the smooth skating, #1D potential over the poor skating Strome.

Im not convinced Marner would have looked great playing woth our C core last season, and probably would have looked pretty similar to Keller this year. Do you think he is putting up 10-15 points more than Keller a season because of his own skill, or who he plays with?

I could dig through my posts, but I know I was floating the idea of trading back to the 6 range as I had Provorov, Werenski and Barzal not too far from the 3-5 picks.

The draft is a crap shoot at best. Let's wait for ten years and see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: Grimes

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It was not unanimous but the consensus was Strome was BPA at 3. Marner was actually 5th behind Hanifin.

I wanted to trade down a few spots, grabbing a good player / prospect and draft Werenski or Provorov. Of course, I also thought Barzal would bust. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad