2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is a good video IMO.

It really articulates why I rank Svechnikov over Zadina. The vlogger compares the two based on:

1. Skating
2. Shooting
3. Passing
4. Puck Handeling
5. Defensive Game
6. Physicality
7. Hockey IQ
8. Temperment
9. Intensity
10. Age
11. Clutch
12. League Production
13. Health

I disagree with him on a couple of items (specifically Hockey IQ) but I still give the edge to Svechnikov as he does.

One thing it really made me think about is how Brady Tkachuk would stand up to these two given the same criteria. I think he'd got 2-11 against either. I think Zadina easily whips his butt on at least 10/13 of those categories. I think Walhstrom probably blows Tkachuk out of the water on raw category win count, too.

If these two are that close I go with the Czech every time. You know me and Russians:)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Svechnikov just looks so dominating at times and when he does he plays the game like Malkin but on the wing. He would be such a perfect addition. I think he will develop a nasty side as well since he doesnt seem to have any regard of players that are in the way of him and the net.

Watching more of Zadina, Im starting to turn my opinion around. He almost looks lile a Keller clone, if it was programmed to shoot more. Slippier than I thought and has more playmaking tendencies than I initially saw.

Either would be a great addition but I think Schev ends up being one of the top ten forwards from the 2015 draft til now, where Zadina is probably closer to the top 20 - 30.

Reactions: Mosby and Sthlmyote

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I finally found the Wahlstrom thread, and there hasnt been a reply since mid Febuary. Sounds like the perfect, no hype prospect for the Yotes. Everytime I watch him I like him more. But there doesnt seem to be a unanimous feel on his traits. Some say he has great IQ, others say he is lacking here. Some posters highlight his speed, where other mention his top speed lacking (he has a slow but powerful stride in my opinion).

Reactions: AZviaNJ

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Svechnikov is also bigger, faster, and more well-rounded. He’s already good defensively. That’s a lot to trade for Czech not Russian.
He came to the USHL in his pre draft year, that shows his commitment to NA imho

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ehh, I wouldn’t rule it out entirely. Nichuskin for example. I don’t think it’s an issue with Svechnikov though.

Typing that, and typing “Svech”, and my phone automatically putting “Svechnikov” is a sign we’ll draft him.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1st and 2nd Round Russians:
1. 2014 - Scherbak(1), Goldobin(1), Barbashev(2), Kamenev(2), Letunov(2)
2. 2013 - (!)Nichushkin(1), Zadorov(1), Zykov(2)
3. 2012 - Yakupov(1), *Grigorenko(1), Vasilevsky(1)
4. 2011 - Namestnikov(1), *Khokhlachev(2), Jaskin(2), Kucherov(2)
5. 2010 - (!)Burmistrov(1), (1)Tarasenko, (!)Kuznetsov(1),
6. 2009 - Kulikov(1), Orlov(1)
7. 2008 - Filatov(1), Voynov(1), Kugryshev(2)
8. 2007 - Cherepanov(RIP), *Bashkirov(2)

* = NHL team did not offer contract
! = Possible "Russian Factor" issue

I'd put Burmistrov in a similar boat as Nichushkin. Mutual unhappiness between player and team.

2008 is interesting. Filatov was a straight bust. Voynov beat up his girlfriend and got kicked out of the country. Kurgyshev ended up in the ECHL and ended up leaving which is fine.

For me, Tryamkin and Kuznetsov are the only examples there that I'd worry about. I don't personally find this to be a particularly big deal. These Russians tend to head home when it starts to become clear they won't be impact NHLers.

The idea that you draft a kid you want to be on your team, he does really well and you really want him on your team, but because he’s Russian you can’t sign him and he stays in Russia is basically just an urban legend. The guys who stay in Russia seem not to be good enough to make it in the NHL anyway. The guys who go back to Russia are are almost always doing quite poorly in the NHL anyway. There’s no reason at all to be concerned about drafting Russian player.

I think those of you who insist on maintaining this narrative have reached a point where you are going to need to start backing this up with specific examples.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Svechnikov is also bigger, faster, and more well-rounded. He’s already good defensively. That’s a lot to trade for Czech not Russian.
What we need (Svechnikov) vs what we have (Zadina).

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
See some of Max' game in Zadina, more quickness than speed. Probably a better shooter....guess we'll see.

This is how I see him, a little Praise, a little Domi. We are going to add some excellent depth this draft if we pick 3-8. The lineup will look more similar to Minnesota if we keep adding top 6 players. However, we lack a true game breaker. Keller may be that or at the very least a top line forward, and if OEL can completely regain his form than he can be added to the list. Svech and Dahlin look like true put the team on their back and win playoff series type players.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
So a little hypothetical here, let's say we end up with 2OA and Ottawa ends up with 5OA and 20OA. Is it worth our time to trade 2 for 5 + 20 + something else or 5 + roster player? We could walk away with something like Wahlstrom + [insert favorite prospect @20] + a prospect. Is Wahlstrom game breaking enough to justify moving Svech or Zadina to get a few extra pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad