2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
So here is my rankings so far, I'm feeling comfortable enough with it to post. If I weren't on my phone I'd do a quick writeup of why I put each player at their rank.

1. Dahlin
2. Zadina
3. Svechnikov
4. Wahlstrom
5. Kupari
6. Dobson
7. Bouchard
8. Tkachuk
9. Boqvist
10. Hughes
11. Smith
12. Woo
13. Wilde
14. McIssac
15. Veleno
16. Thomas
17. McLeod
18. Farabee
19. Addison
20. Hallander

This is with limited views, don't take my rankings too seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZviaNJ

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'd be curious to read why you like Dobson over Bouchard. Also interested in your Kupari pick at #5. I'm with you on top 4 except switch Zadina/Svechnikov

Also, Jet Woo seems to be really high so I'd be interested in your thinking there as well.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Seeing that he played in the USHL last, I'd imagine he signed a contract with Barrie at the beginning of this year so it'll be either NHL or OHL next year for him.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'd be curious to read why you like Dobson over Bouchard. Also interested in your Kupari pick at #5. I'm with you on top 4 except switch Zadina/Svechnikov

Also, Jet Woo seems to be really high so I'd be interested in your thinking there as well.

Going to try and keep this shot, my 4 month old isn't giving me a lot of time.

I have flipped Svech and Zadina so many times. :laugh:

I think Bouchard is the better player currently but from the video I have viewed on Dobson, he seems like he will grow into a better NHL player. I have huge concerns about Dobsons skating, but its not enough for me to place him lower in my rankings. He seems to posses a lot of the tools to be a #2/#3 teams will covet. Really the 2 are pretty interchangeable, I just have a better feeling about Dobson's NHL future, and most sites I've seen have them pretty closely ranked, with Bouchard usually a few ranks higher. I'm actually more surprised that your question was between these two and not why I have Boqvist at 9.

Kupari is a G, fool should be ranked higher on a lot of lists. Kid has hands, vision, skating ability, and a good frame, he just oozes raw talent. I really feel like hes going to be a special talent for whomever drafts him.

I was kind of hoping no one would notice how high I have Woo :laugh:. Jet seems to fall in that 20-30 range on a lot of lists, and this is a totally unjustified ranking, but I just get this gut feeling that hes a lot more special than hes shown thus far. Its a total gut thing with him, there is no logic or evidence involved there.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Good point. I'm sure you're right. I don't think it matters too much, I'm sure he'll be in the NHL next season.
If we end up drafting him, I highly doubt that he'll be sent back to the OHL

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Craig Button is really high on Kupari too.
I see less hockey than currently than a lot of posters, so my opinions on what prospects are good and which aren't should be taken with a grain of salt. I didn't know he was so high on him, the quick google search has him ranking Kupari at 14. I still have him ranked higher than any professional, maybe I'll get lucky and the kid becomes one of the top NHLers from his class.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Going to try and keep this shot, my 4 month old isn't giving me a lot of time.

I have flipped Svech and Zadina so many times. :laugh:

I think Bouchard is the better player currently but from the video I have viewed on Dobson, he seems like he will grow into a better NHL player. I have huge concerns about Dobsons skating, but its not enough for me to place him lower in my rankings. He seems to posses a lot of the tools to be a #2/#3 teams will covet. Really the 2 are pretty interchangeable, I just have a better feeling about Dobson's NHL future, and most sites I've seen have them pretty closely ranked, with Bouchard usually a few ranks higher. I'm actually more surprised that your question was between these two and not why I have Boqvist at 9.

Kupari is a G, fool should be ranked higher on a lot of lists. Kid has hands, vision, skating ability, and a good frame, he just oozes raw talent. I really feel like hes going to be a special talent for whomever drafts him.

I was kind of hoping no one would notice how high I have Woo :laugh:. Jet seems to fall in that 20-30 range on a lot of lists, and this is a totally unjustified ranking, but I just get this gut feeling that hes a lot more special than hes shown thus far. Its a total gut thing with him, there is no logic or evidence involved there.
I'm a big fan of Jett. Moose Jaw has a great program. I think he s going in that 20-30 range as well.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I'm actually more surprised that your question was between these two and not why I have Boqvist at 9
What I was gonna ask. Most seem to have him at 4-5, as the second best D. I mostly just read others rankings and rarely watch any games involving prospects outside WJC and those who play in the SHL. So out of curiosity, what makes you place him lower than Dobson and Bouchard?

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
I really like Hughes (if we’re picking defense). “Best skater in the draft” and is almost a PPG in college.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really like Hughes (if we’re picking defense). “Best skater in the draft” and is almost a PPG in college.
That'd be great too.

I really don't have preference on Tkachuk, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Ty Smith. Though I do feel like in the event of a true tie breaker, I'm taking the RHS player over the LHS player or the LHS that plays their off-side (either RW or RD) over the LW or LD.

Reactions: Antonche

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
I personally think hughes is the 2nd best D in this draft. I wish he were right handed; I think we have to take BPA though

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That'd be great too.

I really don't have preference on Tkachuk, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Ty Smith. Though I do feel like in the event of a true tie breaker, I'm taking the RHS player over the LHS player or the LHS that plays their off-side (either RW or RD) over the LW or LD.
Obviously, Dahlin is the dream. Lots of very good prospects at the top end.

rt

May 13, 2004
This is a good video IMO.

It really articulates why I rank Svechnikov over Zadina. The vlogger compares the two based on:

1. Skating
2. Shooting
3. Passing
4. Puck Handeling
5. Defensive Game
6. Physicality
7. Hockey IQ
8. Temperment
9. Intensity
10. Age
11. Clutch
12. League Production
13. Health

I disagree with him on a couple of items (specifically Hockey IQ) but I still give the edge to Svechnikov as he does.

One thing it really made me think about is how Brady Tkachuk would stand up to these two given the same criteria. I think he'd got 2-11 against either. I think Zadina easily whips his butt on at least 10/13 of those categories. I think Walhstrom probably blows Tkachuk out of the water on raw category win count, too.

Reactions: Mittelstadt

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think Kotkaniemi is the top C in the draft and will be a top 10 pick. Probably 5th on my list right now.

A couple Liiga players to benchmark against
Puljujarvi 0.56 pts/gm at 18.15 years old
Rantanen 0.50 pts/gm at 18.67 years old
Aho 0.43 pts/gm at 17.93 years old [r]
Kotkaniemi 0.51 pts/gm at 17.98 years old [r]

(age at Jun30 of draft year) [r] means Liiga rookie

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Kotkaniemi is the top C in the draft and will be a top 10 pick. Probably 5th on my list right now.

A couple Liiga players to benchmark against
Puljujarvi 0.56 pts/gm at 18.15 years old
Rantanen 0.50 pts/gm at 18.67 years old
Aho 0.43 pts/gm at 17.93 years old [r]
Kotkaniemi 0.51 pts/gm at 17.98 years old [r]

(age at Jun30 of draft year) [r] means Liiga rookie
I could see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad