OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
OBJ’s huge contract weighs on his value but since everyone knew he wanted a lot of money I think this return was about the best you could hope for, this year or last year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's really not, obviously Beckham was going to get more back than Brown based on his age but they're both among the top five-seven WR's in the NFL and both headcases. The fact the Steelers couldn't get more than a three for a guy who cost zero money to the team he was traded to suggested the value wasn't going to be there for OBJ either, especially given his injury history.

The return the Giants got is VERY good though.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It's really not, obviously Beckham was going to get more back than Brown based on his age but they're both among the top five-seven WR's in the NFL and both headcases. The fact the Steelers couldn't get more than a three for a guy who cost zero money to the team he was traded to suggested the value wasn't going to be there for OBJ either, especially given his injury history.
No, you're wrong. That comparison is absolute nonsense.

1) One of them literally quit his team and didn't show up for a must win game
2) Is several years older
3) Required negotiating a NEW CONTRACT in order to be moved
4) Demanded a trade

So, yea, ridiculous comparison. I expected Brown to get a 2nd.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The Giants got a mid-1st, a 3rd, and a young player at a position of need.

The Jets have no pro bowl linebacker and egg on their face.

Salty! However you need to spin it my friend.

Also CJ Mosley is a Pro Bowl linebacker. (Hopefully, he doesn't renege on his word too. :laugh:)

I'm no fan of Maccagnan, but at least he didn't proclaim that they wouldn't possibly trade a guy they just gave a long term contract to, and then proceed to do so for a pretty skeptical return less than a week later.

All the while, Eli is STILL the quarterback.

It makes no sense. And you don't need to come back with more nonsense on the Jets, I know my organization is a gongshow. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: tr83

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
I got news for some you that think this is a decent return. Even if you think Peppers is a great SS (despite his very limited time playing there in the actual NFL), SAFETY DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU GIVE THE QB 10 SECONDS TO THROW.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
I had three jerseys one year ago for the three 13's on my teams, OBJ Machado and Nico. I hope this is not any foreshadowing for Nico, though he does not have the attitude of the other two...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It makes no sense. And you don't need to come back with more nonsense on the Jets, I know my organization is a gongshow. :laugh:

Right now the Jets are less of one than the Giants. And that's WITH the Barr fiasco and clowns like Robby Anderson.

The Giants got a mid-1st, a 3rd, and a young player at a position of need.

The Jets have no pro bowl linebacker and egg on their face.

A mid first as the main piece back for an All-Pro WR under control for four more years IS nothing. You drafted him at #12 and got back a #17 and mid-level talent for him after he was established. A 3rd and an average (by PFF rating) safety is more nothing and on top of it you have a big dead cap hit.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
If you trade Odell, you are in full rebuild and/or tank.

Fair, realistic return would have been top 15 pick this year, 2nd rounder this year, plus a 1st next year.

I'll count the 17th, FINE. The Pats 3rd rounder and a BOX safety. Are you goddamn kidding? Why? There is no point in having Peppers on this team you mongoloid Gettleman.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Salty! However you need to spin it my friend.

Also CJ Mosley is a Pro Bowl linebacker. (Hopefully, he doesn't renege on his word too. :laugh:)

I'm no fan of Maccagnan, but at least he didn't proclaim that they wouldn't possibly trade a guy they just gave a long term contract to, and then proceed to do so for a pretty skeptical return less than a week later.

Nothing to spin as I cheer for both.

Mosley is no doubt great, but losing Barr is very Jets unfortunately.

Obj was a cancer I wanted gone during the Coughlin days. Given what Pitts got for TB I'll take the return.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
A mid first as the main piece back for an All-Pro WR under control for four more years IS nothing. You drafted him at #12 and got back a #17 and mid-level talent for him after he was established. A 3rd and an average (by PFF rating) safety is more nothing and on top of it you have a big dead cap hit.
An EXTREMELY injury prone basket case.

TB returned a 3rd and a 5th.

If he's not in the plans and not particularly well liked then yeah, fine return.

Dude is Terrell Owens 2.0.

I admittedly know nothing of the dead cap hit.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Fair, realistic return would have been top 15 pick this year, 2nd rounder this year, plus a 1st next year.

I'll count the 17th, FINE. The Pats 3rd rounder and a BOX safety. Are you goddamn kidding? Why? There is no point in having Peppers on this team you mongoloid Gettleman.
Except that's not the WR trade market.

And why is everyone lost on the fact that Eli will most likely be tutoring his replacement this season?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eli wasn't going to be thrilled in the mentor role anyway, doing it on a tank team is another story beyond that. The Mannings will probably force their way out of that mess.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

That's not a realistic return though. The NFL trade market makes zero sense but that's not reasonable. Peppers is good though. I think the Giants made out pretty darn well for a guy who didn't want to be there and has a massive contract.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

On what planet are you getting 2 1sts and a 2nd for a wideout who hasn't played a full season in 3 years and has done so only once in his career?

Are you paying extra for the privilege of having him throw your starting qb and head coach under the bus? Perhaps it's for his penchant to do suspendable nonsense on the field?

Like I said, good riddance.

Reactions: Billdo

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Except that's not the WR trade market.

And why is everyone lost on the fact that Eli will most likely be tutoring his replacement this season?
What are you basing this on? Please tell me it's the Brown trade, which as I previously pointed out above has several SUBSTANTIAL differences:

4) Demanded a trade

But yea, keep living in fantasy land. I eagerly await a comparable trade. Super excited.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
What are you basing this on? Please tell me it's the Brown trade, which as I previously pointed out above has several SUBSTANTIAL differences:

4) Demanded a trade

But yea, keep living in fantasy land. I eagerly await a comparable trade. Super excited.
And I'm super excited to see who the Giants draft at 17.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

4) Demanded a trade

And yeah, there are substantial differences between obj and TB, hence the substantially different returns.

Edit: Randy Moss returned a 3rd and a 7th. Randy Moss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad