NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
His Panthers years don't count.

I always thought he was a solid coach, if old school and conservative, whose personality wears thin quickly. His early Panthers teams really weren't that talented, and yet he still put together a few deep runs. It wasn't until like 2008 that I'd say he really had a contending team in front of him, but then Delhomme had to go and shit the bed against Arizona. Throwing out that last lame duck season where they went 2-14 with Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore and a disinterested Fox who knew he was going to not be re-signed after his contract ended that summer, he had a respectable 71-57 record (.554%) with no season less worse than 7-9 (despite inheriting a 1-15 team), and a 5-3 playoff record that includes 1 SB appearance, 2 NFCCG appearances, and 3 divisional round appearances in 8 seasons. Not bad.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Can Hurns still be a productive receiver? His numbers are on a decline but that is partly due to injuries and poor QB play.

Also I don’t really get the fit with Dez on the roster, they play a similar type of game

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

****ing lame.

Here's the problem with not making it a spot foul.

I'm a DB and I'm sure I'm beat deep, for a play that's going to cost my team 30-40 yards or potentially a TD. I'm just gonna maul the hell out of the receiver, not make an attempt on the ball or tackle.

It will actually increase the frequency of Defensive Pass Interference because the down-side of it isn't as grave.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I'm a DB and I'm sure I'm beat deep, for a play that's going to cost my team 30-40 yards or potentially a TD. I'm just gonna maul the hell out of the receiver, not make an attempt on the ball or tackle.

It will actually increase the frequency of Defensive Pass Interference because the down-side of it isn't as grave.

For the umpteenth time, nothing is stopping them from leaving the egregious plays as a spot foul.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Except that play doesn't happen that often. What does happen is a QB get rewarded for a horrendously underthrown deep pass with a 40 or 50 yard penalty because of contact initiated by the receiver.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pass Interference is fine the way it is and WTK is correct that it would increase rate/frequency of pass interference if changed

The only thing that isn’t fair is OPI which is a 10 yard penalty. Especially if the WR tackles the DB from making the pick.

But, rules do Favor the offense

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
For as pissed off as everyone seemed to be about the catch rule, I'm surprised there's no mention of this yet

I hate the argument made by Sam here. You have to have vague language like this, or "element of time", etc. You can't just stop at the first two because then you're calling control and 2 feet down even for a split second a catch. Nobody wants that.

This looks better on paper but I want to see how it gets applied before getting too excited about this no longer being an issue.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Doesn’t seem to affect the college game. DPI should be 15. Really not sure what the issue is. I have never liked the current rule.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This looks better on paper but I want to see how it gets applied before getting too excited about this no longer being an issue.
One immediate thought is that defenses should go after the ball if it hits the ground. If receivers don’t have to survive the ground anymore, then if the receiver hits the ground without being touched then the ball pops out, it’s a fumble. Ball is dead if the receiver is contacted on his way down.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Over the last few days the Panthers signed Da'Norris Searcy, Ross Cockrell, and Jeremiah Sirles and are probably done with UFAs if they want the 3rd rounder from losing Norwell. Sirles is the one that interests me most here as he's a guard and could find himself starting day one. I don't know anything about him, but he makes more sense than stuffing tackle Taylor Moton in there.

Still would trade everyone they signed for keeping Norwell. I'm going to be bitter about that all year.

Reactions: SnS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Still would trade everyone they signed for keeping Norwell. I'm going to be bitter about that all year.

Given their style of offence, I was also surprised that they didn't keep Norwell. Good OL are hard to find and develop.

That's the truth part for me about Sherman's comments that the "Seahawks lost their way", when they moved Unger to get Graham. They took away from their OL to give Wilson a passing weapon, but that killed the team's run game, which was their offensive identity.

Receiver and RBs are flashy, but so long as you have a good QB, a good OL helps a QB more than a weapon.

Reactions: What the Faulk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad