NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
The Week for the Hawks

They also signed Tom Johnson & Shamar Stephen on the D line while picking up Jaron Brown from the Cards. Mike Davis and Marcus Smith were re-signed.

Luke Wilson took a 1 yr deal from the Lions for $2.5M.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Meanwhile, in Charlotte....

Screen-Shot-2017-07-18-at-2.26.05-PM.jpg

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I see Brock Osweiler signed with Miami. He'll be a decent backup for them. Still they have to get a QB of the future in the draft this year IMO.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
just makes Gase look dumber.

Preaches about building a winning culture. Replace Moore, who was really well liked in the locker room, was a great veteran presence and probably on a short list of actually good back up Quarterbacks for Brock. Who is a whiny, crappy, entitled scrub who only has a job because he's tall.

I look forward to winning 3-4 games next year and beginning to scout for the next coach of the future.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
just makes Gase look dumber.

Preaches about building a winning culture. Replace Moore, who was really well liked in the locker room, was a great veteran presence and probably on a short list of actually good back up Quarterbacks for Brock. Who is a whiny, crappy, entitled scrub who only has a job because he's tall.

I look forward to winning 3-4 games next year and beginning to scout for the next coach of the future.

Winning culture yet he purges the team of its best players :laugh:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If OBJ is on the market he's going to have many suitors. Hard to know what the Giants are doing right now, possibly trading OBJ won't help the team at all.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
The Giants definitely aren’t “open” to trading Odell. It’s a tactic to send a message to Odell to wake him up.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If OBJ is on the market he's going to have many suitors. Hard to know what the Giants are doing right now, possibly trading OBJ won't help the team at all.

Honestly I don't think he will have as many suitors as you believe

A lot of teams have seen the red flags and would have to wonder the risks of trading for him and then extending him for big $$$

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
What are the red flags? Besides getting caught doing what every young athlete does in the offseason?

Besides, these "red flags" don't change the fact that he's one of the best in the league at his position. We all know NFL teams excuse virtually any behavior if you can play. If Beckham were available, he'd have 31 teams interested, depending on the financials.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Besides, these "red flags" don't change the fact that he's one of the best in the league at his position. We all know NFL teams excuse virtually any behavior if you can play. If Beckham were available, he'd have 31 teams interested, depending on the financials.

There aren't many game changing receivers. He is one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What are the red flags? Besides getting caught doing what every young athlete does in the offseason?
If the giants are concerned about giving him a long term deal with $60-80 million guaranteed they could basically Le’Veon bell him. Use 5th year option then franchise him until th cap hit gets too expensive. Will have him for 6-7 years before you let him hit free agency.

But like bell, he would not show up for camp and stuff if franchised. So, what makes more sense for them?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
OBJ is one of the best players in the NFL and a true game changer but I'd think about it depending on the offers. $18-20M/yr, which is apparently what he wants, is a lot for a WR. It'd have to be at least two high picks to consider it though.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If the giants are concerned about giving him a long term deal with $60-80 million guaranteed they could basically Le’Veon bell him. Use 5th year option then franchise him until th cap hit gets too expensive. Will have him for 6-7 years before you let him hit free agency.

But like bell, he would not show up for camp and stuff if franchised. So, what makes more sense for them?

Probably giving him a pay raise because he single handedly lifts their offense from the mat. How many receivers do that?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
OBJ is one of the best players in the NFL and a true game changer but I'd think about it depending on the offers. $18-20M/yr, which is apparently what he wants, is a lot for a WR. It'd have to be at least two high picks to consider it though.

If it's a short term deal I'd do it. He's a rare player at his position.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I initially thought "hell yes" to this (and it's a solid return for the Giants if they want to go full rebuild), but I'm willing to re-evaluate my opinion if someone could make a strong argument the other way. The Browns would have a skill position group of

#1 overall QB
WR - Gordon
WR - Beckham
WR - Landry
WR - Coleman
TE - Njoku
TE - DeValve
RB - Duke Johnson
RB - Carlos Hyde

Plus a defense led by Myles Garrett and a rebuilt secondary (though keeping McCourty would have been nice). That's gotta be a playoff team that even Hue couldn't f*** up.

Reactions: Tuggy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If it's a short term deal I'd do it. He's a rare player at his position.
Short or long really comes down to ththe amount of guaranteed money. Despite cousins getting a fully guaranteed deal from the Vikings, it’s still no different than what jimmy G got in SF which was a 5 year deal. Basically no dead money after year 3. So, not married to him for th full 5 years.

I’d imagine the guaranteed money would carry a significant dead cap hit for 3 years for Beckham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad