NFL: 2018 NFL draft prospects thread

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't know about that. In some cases it's easy to blame the media and think they're just doing the work of agents but this is one of the non-football related criticisms that might actually be valid. It's crazy how much these prospects, especially the QBs, have to go through in the pre-draft process. I can't imagine someone doing that without an agent, who will not only help with preparation but then also play the media game for him. A good agent would help with those lies you're talking about.

They would but this is a smear campaign organized by other agents and the NFL media. Why do you think all the big names are carrying the water for agents? Protecting sources. Insider info usually comes from agents.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The one thing I think really holds back Mayfield (other than maybe his size) is his tendency to hold onto the ball sometimes to the detriment of his team. I especially noticed that in the Sooners loss to Iowa State last year and some of their losses the years before. If he learns when to get rid of the ball more consistently, he can potentially be even more deadly given the right offensive scheme.

I just don't see what people see in Allen or Darnold. They have the measureables you might want out of a NFL QB, but to me that's about it.

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The one thing I think really holds back Mayfield (other than maybe his size) is his tendency to hold onto the ball sometimes to the detriment of his team. I especially noticed that in the Sooners loss to Iowa State last year and some of their losses the years before. If he learns when to get rid of the ball more consistently, he can potentially be even more deadly given the right offensive scheme.

I just don't see what people see in Allen or Darnold. They have the measureables you might want out of a NFL QB, but to me that's about it.

Darnold is good. He needs to fix his feet but his ball placement and ability to handle pressure is really advanced. He's really really young too which I think people tend to forget.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They would but this is a smear campaign organized by other agents and the NFL media. Why do you think all the big names are carrying the water for agents? Protecting sources. Insider info usually comes from agents.

Could be. It could also be pushed by a QB-needy team that is hoping there is enough smoke to push Jackson down into their range.

Even without these last few days, I think it would be a big surprise to see Jackson taken ahead of any of the top 4 QBs.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Could be. It could also be pushed by a QB-needy team that is hoping there is enough smoke to push Jackson down into their range.

Even without these last few days, I think it would be a big surprise to see Jackson taken ahead of any of the top 4 QBs.

If it was a team doing it I imagine it would be a team that actually wants to draft him as a wideout and is super mad about Jackson not going along with it.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Mason Rudolph is getting talked up as a potential first round pick this morning. That's why its getting harder to find viable late round QBs. If you have a hint of a shot, teams are going to find a way to get you into the first.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Mason Rudolph is getting talked up as a potential first round pick this morning. That's why its getting harder to find viable late round QBs. If you have a hint of a shot, teams are going to find a way to get you into the first.

I've heard everything from this is an overhyped/weak group to 6 QBs going in the first round. I really don't know what to believe anymore. I'm guessing they go 1-2-3 at the top of the draft so the GMs must see some elite potential in them.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I've heard everything from this is an overhyped/weak group to 6 QBs going in the first round. I really don't know what to believe anymore. I'm guessing they go 1-2-3 at the top of the draft so the GMs must see some elite potential in them.

In today's NFL, these two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

Reactions: What the Faulk

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
In today's NFL, these two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

Very true. I'm sure out of 6 potential first rounders there will be at least a couple that fizzle out. I guess we really won't know the answers until a minimum of 2-3 years from now. But I'm really curious how they turn out and hope the Browns get the right one at #1 this year.

I read something interesting that Darnold didn't play QB until his last year of high school. That's pretty amazing if it's true. I think he's the youngest out of the top 5 group too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I have Rosen at the top as I think he has very high upside and can play right away. Darnold and Mayfield are the next tier - Darnold has the elite upside but will need time, while Mayfield will be starting games this year.

I have Jackson & Allen behind them. I hope Jackson proves me wrong and is the best player in the draft and a star, the league needs guys like him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Right after I posted that I found a long in-depth Bill Barnwell (ESPN) article about the track record of past QB picks

Barnwell: Why drafting a QB is often a disaster ... and what that means for 2018

Interesting article.

So much goes into why guys make it or not. After looking at these top QB prospects for 15+ years, sometimes the situations makes it almost impossible for guys. Guys like Tim Couch and David Carr should have been Pro-Bowlers for a long time, they were just doomed to fail because of the teams around them. At least one of the guys this year will just fall victim to a terrible situation.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I have them ranked Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph. I think I have Mayfield a lot higher than most. Don't most rankings have him 4th?

Depends on who you're reading. Most mainstream guys have Allen very high. Most everyone else has him lower and is urging caution. I'd be nervous about taking him in the top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad