NFL: 2018 NFL draft prospects thread

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Really enjoyed watching the RBs at the combine yesterday. Still have hope that my crappy Lions will pick up Royce later in the draft to address the running game.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Jackson's ability to mislead guys on where he's going to go, to find holes in the offense, is unreal. He's unstoppable 5 yards out as a scrambling QB. Based on that, I can see why guys want him as a receiver, he could be a devastating route runner, at least a screen pass 5 yards out. And he has an arm, but he misses too many throws for me to really believe in his consistency at that regard. I can see why they're trying him out at receiver, though unlike Tebow, Jackson deserves to get more than a cup of coffee at QB. If he puts it together, watch out. He could easily be a Wilson/Smith guy, with the gamebreaking talent those two, while not lack, don't exhibit consistently.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Jackson's ability to mislead guys on where he's going to go, to find holes in the offense, is unreal. He's unstoppable 5 yards out as a scrambling QB. Based on that, I can see why guys want him as a receiver, he could be a devastating route runner, at least a screen pass 5 yards out. And he has an arm, but he misses too many throws for me to really believe in his consistency at that regard. I can see why they're trying him out at receiver, though unlike Tebow, Jackson deserves to get more than a cup of coffee at QB. If he puts it together, watch out. He could easily be a Wilson/Smith guy, with the gamebreaking talent those two, while not lack, don't exhibit consistently.

Except he's never played WR at any level so he'd be a wasted draft pick. He's a quarterback. His big struggles are throwing outside the hash marks accurately.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

For his sake I hope he's better at football than he is at exercising. I've heard some say he's raw but has potential and others have said he's big but that's about it. Louis Riddick ripped him on ESPN for both his tape and combine performance.

Not only is this guy not a good NFL level athlete, he's not a good athlete period.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Calvin Ridley is old and not very athletic yet he's wr1. D.J. Moore and Courtland Sutton are the only round 1 wideouts for me. Ridley really tested poorly. Don't be fooled by his 40 time.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Watching the combine this morning with the interior defensive linemen and Vita Vea is a scary specimen of a human being. A 5.01 40 yard run by a 340 pound man. Absolutely scary.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One of the best combines ever for TE. Quite an athlete.

I've seen comparisons to Ebron for him. Means that he can't block. So, you have to understand his limitations. He's no Witten, Olson, Gronk in that regard. More like Graham.

So, it really depends on how the TE fits into your offence's scheme or whether you have a good blocking TE on your roster to insert into the lineup for a running play. Geseki will be a mismatch when he lines up off the line.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I've seen comparisons to Ebron for him. Means that he can't block. So, you have to understand his limitations. He's no Witten, Olson, Gronk in that regard. More like Graham.

So, it really depends on how the TE fits into your offence's scheme or whether you have a good blocking TE on your roster to insert into the lineup for a running play. Geseki will be a mismatch when he lines up off the line.

He's a willing blocker unlike Graham. He just sucks at it.

Reactions: ecemleafs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Right now, Jackson is more of a running QB than a scrambling QB like Wilson. First option for him is to tuck the ball and take off.

For Jackson to make it as a QB, it really depends on which team takes him because they have to understand how to work with a QB with that type of athleticism, and not try to fit him in as a pocket passer. Have to be comfortable letting him run a shotgun offence for 80% of the time when he gets into the lineup.

Jackson should sit for a year to work with the QB coach.

Where are the best places for him? I don't think any team that is currently in need of a starter is the best place for him. And it will depend on the offensive coaching staff tailoring their offence for him.

If he's going to be a mid to late first rounder, possibly sliding into Rd 2, then Chargers with an older Rivers, Ravens with Flacco if Newsome really likes Jackson, Bills if they have a vet ahead of him, Dolphins if they don't truly believe in Tannehill, Saints with an older Brees probably make the most sense.

AZ is the team with the best overall supporting cast for a young starter, but they are best served to get someone who can step right in now. If Arians will still the HC, then maybe he gambles and runs with Jackson right away. Not sure if the new HC will want to do that.

I'd leave out Pitt because they need to replace Shazier and their window is now with Big Ben nearing the end. Same with Jax, their window is now and if Bortles is their guy for a couple more years, have to surround him with either weapons, OL, or elite D with their draft picks, Washington since he might remind them of RGIII, Minny is win now and need to load up offence or take Defense to replace the guys whose contracts will come up in another year or two.

It really comes down to how many GMs and coaches are comfortable with working with Jackson. Have to be able to accentuate his strengths and accept his weaknesses. If he fails, then they are likely both fired.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He's going to be a space eater.

They were mentioning on the commentary that Vea was consistently taking on two to three offensive linemen at a time and that they would also use him at defensive end to rush the quarterback as well. I really hope that Vea ends up in Washington. He and Jonathan Allen could be a lot of fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad