GDT: 2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It was funny listening to the morning radio guys up here, trip over themselves to be offended by this, taking subtle potshots at Votto and replaying the clip of what he said, over and over.

Who ****ing cares, he's allowed to have an opinion. :laugh:

Yeah like i guess it would be nice if he cared about baseball in Canada seeing as he's from here but I really don't see how that's his job or anything. He seems like a guy that is focused on being the best baseball player he can be and helping his team win games and not much else. Unfortunately for him he's on the Reds.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nope.

Probably gets asked about playing in Canada or wanting to be a Blue Jay, every time the Reds play in Toronto, too, which can't be that often now that I think about it.

But imagine the whirlwind he'll get the next time he's playing here. Probably have to deal with a chorus of boos as well

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
UZR is a bad stat. Kyle Schwarber is currently leading the majors in UZR/150. Use FRAA. Free your mind.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Votto is incredibly prone to trolling so I wouldn’t be surprised if he did this purely to get a rise out of people. Votto is still fairly active in Canada, and just last week donated his cleats to that cop who arrested the North York van killer. So I’m skeptical that he really means what he said.

I legit believe that he doesn't care about being some sort of ambassador or figure head for Canadian baseball. He's been in the U.S. for like 15 years, and it's not like he's come over from some remote nation and is a famous national celebrity there (like say a Dirk Nowitzki in Germany). There's other Canadian players, there's a major league franchise in Canada, any Canadian interested in baseball can pursue that sport without Joey Votto having anything to do with it. I don't think being from Canada means a whole lot in baseball, so I see where Votto is coming from.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agreed with a lot of what Chip and Joe had to say, but I think the main question is if his hand touched the plate. It definitely beat the glove, but his hand may have been hovering over the plate.

That said, I totally agree with Chip saying that there needs to be better tech in replay. How can a play at the plate be inconclusive?? The NFL can zoom into a foot in or out of bounds. How can the biggest call in baseball, around a 3 foot area, be inconclusive??

When the rumors of replay started, I wanted it just for scoring plays. Like they said, why can’t they have the technology to get a call right? How much profit does the league as a whole get? You would think that they’d (MLB) have a better system.

I thought they blew both calls pretty conclusively.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
When the rumors of replay started, I wanted it just for scoring plays. Like they said, why can’t they have the technology to get a call right? How much profit does the league as a whole get? You would think that they’d (MLB) have a better system.

I thought they blew both calls pretty conclusively.

Agreed.

Also, they definitely blew the call at third by mile. Not even debatable.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
UZR is a bad stat. Kyle Schwarber is currently leading the majors in UZR/150. Use FRAA. Free your mind.

Can you explain the difference between the two stats or post a link? Genuinely interested here. I feel like I have at least a decent grasp of most hitting stats but defensive stats i don't quite get for the most part

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I legit believe that he doesn't care about being some sort of ambassador or figure head for Canadian baseball. He's been in the U.S. for like 15 years, and it's not like he's come over from some remote nation and is a famous national celebrity there (like say a Dirk Nowitzki in Germany). There's other Canadian players, there's a major league franchise in Canada, any Canadian interested in baseball can pursue that sport without Joey Votto having anything to do with it. I don't think being from Canada means a whole lot in baseball, so I see where Votto is coming from.

I get that, I just don't think he cares as little as he says he does.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Turns out Votto was just in a bad mood when he was doing the podcast and that meant he only recalled some negative feelings he had toward Canada baseball during his early career (not making Team Canada's as a young player, not being drafted by the Jays, not being picked for the Olympic team when he was in the minors). Apologizes and says he didn't really mean it.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Votto seems like he enjoys getting rise out of people. I expect that's what he did here as well.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
As much crap as I talk against ESPN, I gotta say, Baseball Tonight Extra is awesome. Like a free MLB Red Zone.

Too bad an awesome Yankees/Nats game is the sacrifice, but I’ll take it

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A's approach vs Sale has been solid. They're gearing up for the fastball and sitting on anything else. Only problem is outside of Semien no one is squaring a fastball up.

Hope they can keep it close and get to the bullpen.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Just another great game by Verlander. His ERA after 8 innings is 1.06!

Crazy to think that Scherzer and he, both in their mid 30's, are arguably the 2 best pitchers right now and show no signs of slowing down.

And Verlander comes out for the 9th, he strikes out Ohtani for his 2,500th K. Wow.

Verlander completes the complete game shutout. 118 pitches. It's like seeing a unicorn!

Last edited:

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Just another great game by Verlander. His ERA after 8 innings is 1.06!

Crazy to think that Scherzer and he, both in their mid 30's, are arguably the 2 best pitchers right now and show no signs of slowing down.

And Verlander comes out for the 9th, he strikes out Ohtani for his 2,500th K. Wow.

Blew him away on three pitches. Tired at the end but finished the complete game and series win for the boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad