WJC: 2018 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Weird eh.. I thought Vala was our best defenseman last year..

It's possible. I really don't remember last WJC, but I saw his shifts in Kamloops.

His foot speed and mobility are very limited. His big reach doesnt compensate that skating imo. Also he doesn't use his frame that much.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I probably did say that. No shame in it though. I'd rather be optimistic and get it wrong, then pessimistic and get it wrong.
But when I say optimistic, I really mean having some faith in the boys and cheer them on. Nothing wrong with that. And I'm not even being that optimistic. I'm really just saying they'll be better when the real tournament comes along.
I think the difference between you and I, is that you had too high hopes for this team, and I did not. It came as a surprise for you and not quite as much for me. As soon as you start keeping your hopes down, you don't care "as much" about these results.. most importantly if they're pretourny
As I wrote here, I have no great expectations. I hope in good hockey and that the difference players will show the potential. Also, this team will probably not be playing well with the top teams as it lacks depth, which was confirmed yesterday. I'll see you after the reductions. But it must be clearly said that this is no other team than who will play the championship. Five top players will affect the game, no doubt.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Zabransky is right handed. Should have invited him. Surely he's better then Haman?

I haven't seen Zabransky in CHL. Read some reports about his lack of defensive awareness. As far as I know he was not in consideration for the U20.

I saw these two D pairs in the camp before the game vs Canada :
Budik - Hajek
Vala - Galvas

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Zabransky is right handed. Should have invited him. Surely he's better then Haman?

I don't suppose Haman to make the final roster, an nor would Zábranský.
The problem this team has with defense is that even the defensemen with competent stickhandling and passing ability are not very great skaters. This is rather typical for Vála or Šalda, who both lack acceleration and are likely to lose most of the chases for the puck, as well as will have problems to follow the opponents' rotations in the corners and along the boards. I am afraid they will not be able to stay close enough to the their opponents, which will allow the attacking forwards to move the puck very comfortably and find open spaces, especially in the sharp angles on the side of the net, which are out of the reach for players defending in a small box. Plus, this team will have huge problems to clear the zone, and the tired five will quickly become too static. The ability of certain defensemen to make a meaningful pass while being under the pressure is very limited, and they will simply send too many pucks to the blue line, but not out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wooren

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
So, a 9-0 loss to Canada and a 4-2 loss to Finland. Only pre-tournament games, but it's not making me feel overly optimistic about the tournament....

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
It's nearly 2018 and all we have from the game against Finland is score. What a joke.
By the way our results in the prep. games are almost identical to Swiss. Seems like we are destined to lose against them again.

EDIT: Shots against Finland were 15-40, that's bad. Also:

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I am surprised they scratched Kurovský, I supposed him to make the roster for sure. 15 shots (I also read the number 18, perhaps they didn't count them so carefully in this game, but anyway) are bad, it would be good to know whether they were so much under pressure or simply didn't use their opportunities to shoot more. This team looks to be on the level of the Swiss, they can surprise Russia, but Sweden is far too superior for them in that group.

Reactions: Wooren

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Boxscore against Finland

1-0 Koppanen
1-1 Kaut (Necas, Galvas) PP
1-2 Zachar
2-2 Kuokkanen (Tuulola, Kotkansalo)
3-2 Innala (Ikonen, Kupari)
4-2 Tolvanen (Kuokkanen, Jokiharju) PP

Saves: Korenar 36, Luukkonen 13

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I saw just the short game highlights, with goals and a few other actions. Seems this was rather a practice game for both teams, but anyway, they need to improve a lot against Russia.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I am surprised about Kurovsky as well. Solid production with very limited ice time in Extraliga, produced in WSM as well. Gotta think his skating is the major problem.
The line-up was:

Safin-Chytil-Zachar
Zadina-Necas-Pavlik
Kaut-Reichel-Michnac
Hrabik-Kodytek-Lauko
Helt

Hajek-Budik
Galvas-Kral
Hrdinka-Salda
Vala

Korenar

Surprised Hrabik made it, I personally view Kondelik as the clearly superior player. Hopefully he deserved it and his Liberec club affiliation had no effect.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Hrabik is a solid two way player, I am most surprised about Helt. But He will probably be the 13th forward. The 4th line doesn't seem good to me.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Definitely not looking great.. but I still think Czechs are better then Swiss. Swiss got outshot 60-8 or something like that. And thats with their best players...
I watched the game and there was no competition whatsoever. Swiss look beyond terrible. Worst team they've had in years by far. I can't see us losing to them.
But of course with Czechs anything is possible.
Losing and being outshot to Finland is ok. We weren't blown out, we just have to get some offense going. Yes Finland has the best defence but 15 shots is just not enough. I don't like Pavlik and Zachar on the top lines. Switch them out with Kaut and Michnac. Have to stack the top 2 lines to stay competitive. Might not change much.
Or, put Zadina with Chytil and Safin.
Gotta put at least one line together that can keep possession and create a good cycle., draw penalties etc. Each line has at least 1 mediocre player. Has to change imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Pouliot

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Definitely not looking great.. but I still think Czechs are better then Swiss. Swiss got outshot 60-8 or something like that. And thats with their best players...
I watched the game and there was no competition whatsoever. Swiss look beyond terrible. Worst team they've had in years by far. I can't see us losing to them.
Losing and being outshot to Finland is ok. We weren't blown out, we just have to get some offense going. Yes Finland has the best defence but 15 shots is just not enough. I don't like Pavlik and Zachar on the top lines. Switch them out with Kaut and Michnac. Have to stack the top 2 lines to stay competitive. Might not change much.
Gotta put at least one line together that can keep possession and create a good cycle., draw penalties etc. Each line has at least 1 mediocre player. Has to change imo
Complete agreement. Switzerland has the weakest team for a long time, according to names we should beat them. But it is Switzerland and their tough game has never been to us.
I do not like Pavlik, Kodytka and Reichla. Neither has ever done anything good. Unfortunately, the depth of the team is lacking. Anyway, I'd rather see Kurovsky there. And concentrate quality on at least one line.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Just one question, if we want to grab medal, how is it Ok to loose and being outshot by Finnland?

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Just one question, if we want to grab medal, how is it Ok to loose and being outshot by Finnland?
This team isn't and never was a medal contender. Maybe next year, but certainly not this one. 1998 is just altogether a terrible generation with the sole bright spot being Hajek. You can't medal with that.
People that want to grap a medal (including me) are just wishful thinking, it's not realistic. It would also help if media wasn't trying so hard to sell this team as one of the best in a long time... it's ridiculous.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This team isn't and never was a medal contender. Maybe next year, but certainly not this one. 1998 is just altogether a terrible generation with the sole bright spot being Hajek. You can't medal with that.
People that want to grap a medal (including me) are just wishful thinking, it's not realistic. It would also help if media wasn't trying so hard to sell this team as one of the best in a long time... it's ridiculous.

I am not so optimistic about the next year, for one reason: There is a high probability that Nečas, Chytil, Zadina will already be NHLers and will not play at the tournament.
This team is in my opinion slightly above the last year's one. They can do something, if several factors come right together. But the medal contenders clearly are Canada, USA, Sweden. I see these three teams clearly above the rest.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I am not so optimistic about the next year, for one reason: There is a high probability that Nečas, Chytil, Zadina will already be NHLers and will not play at the tournament.
This team is in my opinion slightly above the last year's one. They can do something, if several factors come right together. But the medal contenders clearly are Canada, USA, Sweden. I see these three teams clearly above the rest.
Them being in the NHL is definitely a possibility, but I don't think it happens personally. Maybe one of them, but not all. Without them it would be an average team. I agree with the rest.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
For one, it's a considerable improvement (from last game) against a team that is considered (by a few hockey analysts here in Canada), to be the Gold medal favourites. Finland has by far the best defensive core. Not just this year, but the best I've seen any team have in a while. Don't forget that Finland also had 7 power plays in that game.
In pre-tournament, I'm ok with it yes.

I think with a few adjustments and some luck, Czechs can be competitive. As you saw, they moved Zadina to second line with Necas. Who knows what's next. But you can tell that Pesan is not blind like other coaches.
There's been many years where Top teams play terrible in pre-season and everyone thought they'd suck. Then they came out strong come real tournament. Not saying that's the case with Czechs. But I think we're judging too much on these games. You guys might be right, but it's simply too early. Let's see what happens on the 26th and judge from there.

Last edited:

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Totally disagree sorry. Chytil is the only one who won't make it likely. He could be playing in NHL now. Necas is a long term project. Too small to be in NHL anytime soon. Zadina will be in AHL at best.
Next year we should have 1st line of Zadina-Necas-Safin.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Totally disagree sorry. Chytil is the only one who won't make it likely. He could be playing in NHL now. Necas is a long term project. Too small to be in NHL anytime soon. Zadina will be in AHL at best.
Next year we should have 1st line of Zadina-Necas-Safin.
Unless Zadina was loaned to Halifax and not just transferred over then the AHL won't be an option next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad