WJC: 2018 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Let's say they finish 3rd in the group behind Sweden and Russia, there is a decent chance that they will play Canada or the US in the QF, don't like those matchups, even Finland could be tough, if they play Canada I say they have very little chance, the other teams a tiny bit more but not much, basically they have to win the group to avoid a bad matchup.
If you want to win a medal you have to beat a strong team sooner or later. I prefer European teams to the NA ones in the QFs, but the difference isn't huge. USA is the worst case scenario.
I will be happy if they for once manage to beat Switzerland and borderline destroy Belarus, although I am not optimistic even about that.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
If you want to win a medal you have to beat a strong team sooner or later. I prefer European teams to the NA ones in the QFs, but the difference isn't huge. USA is the worst case scenario.
I will be happy if they for once manage to beat Switzerland and borderline destroy Belarus, although I am not optimistic even about that.

Yes, but it would be nice to avoid one in the QF. As long as it's not Canada for sure.

I think the US are being a bit overrated this time, but maybe playing at home gives them an advantage, last years US team was better, though they haven't performed that well at home in the past.

Yeah, they can't play down to the Swiss or Belarus, which for some reason they have a problem doing.

So let's look at the group, they start vs. Russia, which is tough, yet also they play well vs. Russia, so it's winnable, I can't see them beating Sweden, so if they can beat Russia, Swiss and Belarus, they have a chance at topping the group.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Seriously? Czech hockey will never get to the level of Sweden or Russia with this stupid mentality

Yeah. We need to change our thinking. We are hurting not just ourself, but our players too.

Sad thing is that Hradec Kralove didnt want to let Radovan Pavlik play for U20 in August because he was "a key player for them" and they "needed him to play in Champions league". Played 10 minutes in that game.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I don't think it's cruel. If we want medal, we must beat even USA/Canada, like was said above me. If we avoid them in QF, we will likely meet them in SF still. And end up in QF or at 4th place is not much difference.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah. We need to change our thinking. We are hurting not just ourself, but our players too.

Sad thing is that Hradec Kralove didnt want to let Radovan Pavlik play for U20 in August because he was "a key player for them" and they "needed him to play in Champions league". Played 10 minutes in that game.
Simply idiotic mentality. There have been many improvements in youth hockey, but we will never get better at the u-20 level if this continues.. Swedish, Finnish, and Russian players are getting 15-20 minutes playing time in their top leagues back home.. how can we ever expect to compete if our guys only play around 10? Even 5 minutes in kurovsky case (super idiotic).
Not a chance in the world, unless they all come to NA

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Simply idiotic mentality. There have been many improvements in youth hockey, but we will never get better at the u-20 level if this continues.. Swedish, Finnish, and Russian players are getting 15-20 minutes playing time in their top leagues back home.. how can we ever expect to compete if our guys only play around 10? Even 5 minutes in kurovsky case (super idiotic).

That is why I was very happy to see Chytil in AHL or Zadina, Safin, Kral in CHL. I would love to see Necas in AHL too, because it was amazing to watch him and his confidence after he was sent back from Hurricanes. He wanted puck all the time. Now it's gone.

Yeah, we need to change our culture. We need to share everything for the purpose of Czech hockey. We need more studies, analysis and textbooks etc.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Filip Pešán interview: Dvacítka startuje! Když bude forma a chemie, myslíme na medaili, tvrdí Pešán | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje
Chytil is ready, join the team at 13 december. Also Klouček will join the team after World A Challenge.

Edit:
Also his word about Jakub Galvas: I like Jakub for long time, he's growing into great defensman. I will rely on him a lot. He's getting lot of minutes, playing the most important moments of game. In Extraliga. In such young age! We should thank to my colleague Zdenek Venera, that he give him that time in his age. I will definitely use it.
Take the translantion lightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: czechcanadian

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
That is why I was very happy to see Chytil in AHL or Zadina, Safin, Kral in CHL. I would love to see Necas in AHL too, because it was amazing to watch him and his confidence after he was sent back from Hurricanes. He wanted puck all the time. Now it's gone.

Yeah, we need to change our culture. We need to share everything for the purpose of Czech hockey. We need more studies, analysis and textbooks etc.
100% agree with you. So important.
What I like about Pesan is that he's in constant contact with these extraliga teams. Trying to get these players more toi. Trying to instill change. He seems to care a lot. Seems to know what it takes to be competitive. Let's hope he's the coach Czech u-20's have been longing for..

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Are we going to see a Zadina-Chytil-Necas line?

That might be the best line at the tournament.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Well we all have to change our thinking here to become succesfull. First would be to completely deny that stupid Hradec Kralove manager. This guys has such backwards atttitude and for sure no one rise a hand to say “no, this is not the way how we want to do it”.We still suck but most managers live in paralel reality. Good think is that this U20 team might be first one whose players completely grew up under new program as they were 12 or 13 in 2010? So this year and maybe year later, and then finnally evaluate everything built strong expert pannel and bring some fresh air into it. Hope we are close to stop constant hiding behind anything. Results should come.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Are we going to see a Zadina-Chytil-Necas line?

That might be the best line at the tournament.
I hope not. You need to spread the talent a bit. If Czechs struggle to score any goals (which is quite probable actually) it could happen though, can't really make a better line than that. Hope that won't be the case though.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I hope not. You need to spread the talent a bit. If Czechs struggle to score any goals (which is quite probable actually) it could happen though, can't really make a better line than that. Hope that won't be the case though.
I agree..but it would be fun to see though haha. Maybe they load the first pp line..
Zadina, Necas, Chytil, Safin, Salda/Hajek :)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
which one of the big 3 always play center in international tournaments?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad