WJC: 2018 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I still haven't gotten used to the sight of Prerost on the bench.... :(
I just ignore him lol. To be honest I haven't noticed him a single time in that game.

Lauko is all right. Pavlik no.
With one or two exceptions I haven't noticed Pavlik at all. Whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know. He is not expected to score anyway. That being said, I wouldn't be against swapping him out with Michnac.
It's just that Lauko got a decent amount of chances and lost the puck every single time. On one hand, the fact he is getting into the chances at all is a good thing, but he should do better with them than that. Also, a bit off-topic, but damn Lauko's skating style reminds me so much of Voracek's. Just a random thought haha.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I just ignore him lol. To be honest I haven't noticed him a single time in that game.

With one or two exceptions I haven't noticed Pavlik at all. Whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know. He is not expected to score anyway. That being said, I wouldn't be against swapping him out with Michnac.
It's just that Lauko got a decent amount of chances and lost the puck every single time. On one hand, the fact he is getting into the chances at all is a good thing, but he should do better with them than that. Also, a bit off-topic, but damn Lauko's skating style reminds me so much of Voracek's. Just a random thought haha.
It is precisely because Lauko is an excellent skater and I would have left him in the team. He's a young guy, he's going to be very important with his engagement. Pavlik is two years older and is no better, he is a synonym for under-average.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Pavlík's role in this team is good positioning and responsible defence. Nobody expects goals from him. He played with Zadina and Nečas, two excellent offensive players, so his role was to back them up and keep his game simple. I think he was successful in this role. I don't know whether Michnáč is 100% healthy, or the coaches just have different plans, but I think he will made his appearance later in the tournament. It is possible that he was a healthy scratch because although he is a skilled, technically great player, he is not so good in his own zone, and nor is very physical.
Today I especially liked Kurovský, who played an extraordinarily tough, physical game, was excellent along the boards and has shown a good puck protection. Plus, he demonstrated some nice stickhandling skills too, given his frame.
Lauko looked very nervous, this was apparent. But he tried hard each shift, proved is a pretty speedy skater and if he manages to put the nervosity aside and dare a little bit more, he can be a pleasant surprise.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Hi all. As usual, our team shit their pants in the first game. Luckily Russians were bad enough so we still win. I hope they get some confidence from that game at least.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Hi to all Czech fans! How has Zadina looked playing on Left Wing (my friend said that is where he played)? I missed the Russia match, congratulations on the big win!

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I'm not sure I follow.. :laugh:

ok, Ill try again.

We lost the lead in the first twice, that is unacceptable. This is common mistake - the loss of concentration after we take the lead. And then the meltdown in the third period. I was shocked Pešán didnt even take the time out after 4-5 goal. Im a bit concerned about our coaching after this first game. We still win, which is good, But the warnings are obvious.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Kořenář didnt convince me he is legit n. 1. I hope he proves me wrong. Škarek was terrible in every tournament I remember, I dont want him in the net at all. So the goaltending is a big questionmark too.

Offense was good, defense needs to improve.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Kořenář didnt convince me he is legit n. 1. I hope he proves me wrong. Škarek was terrible in every tournament I remember, I dont want him in the net at all. So the goaltending is a big questionmark too.

Offense was good, defense needs to improve.

Kořenář looked nervous the first 10-15 minutes, but then he was pretty solid. Made no major mistake and was able to hold the pucks, allowed a minimum of rebounds.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Good game today! I thought our boys played well. A few thoughts:

1) Shame about not scoring on the 5-3, I think that may have cost us the game.

2) I like what Reichel brings to the table, he was good today.

3) Skarek looked fine, made some nice saves.

4) We created plenty of opportunities and had an excellent 2nd period. I don't remember a time at the WJC watching our boys continue to create chances against the Swedes and hem them in their own zone at times. Good work. You can definitely see the progression since I started watching our boys at the WJC in 2010 (we lost 10-1 to Sweden back then). We're getting there.

I think that going forward we have a good shot at 2nd place in the group, which would likely put us up against FIN/USA in the QF.

Onwards and upwards!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
That Chytil line didn't seem to have much going on today. Not sure if it was just the Swedes or some chemistry issues.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I didnt watch the first period but the rest looked like quite a nice effort. Still swedes controled the game except 2nd.We will see in quarters. I mean individually its OK, hopefully 5-6 guys from this team will become regular NHLers. Our defence also looks quite organized. But from CZ position its +-same.maybe Pesan is a magician and bring something else but the gap seems to me still big. We cant avoid Sweden, USA and Canada in such tourney so medal means to become somehow competitive against them. This game might be first sign but I am not sure if there is anything else in tank. But, on plus side, i somehow feel we will come closer this year against US or Canada. Dont believ they are much better than Sweden.

Btw. did Safin play? I barely noticed him.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

4) We created plenty of opportunities and had an excellent 2nd period. I don't remember a time at the WJC watching our boys continue to create chances against the Swedes and hem them in their own zone at times. Good work. You can definitely see the progression since I started watching our boys at the WJC in 2010 (we lost 10-1 to Sweden back then). We're getting there.

I think that going forward we have a good shot at 2nd place in the group, which would likely put us up against FIN/USA in the QF.

Onwards and upwards!

Agreed. I would also point out good performance of Michnac who didn't play the first game.

And just like you, started watching WJC since 2010 and because I remember very well the 10:1 loss to Sweden, I am able to truly enjoy this play by our boys. Not even mad about the loss. We are still behind the TOP6 but getting closer.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Onwards and upwards!
Skarek looked he made big step forward compare to last year. Also like what Reichel brings. That kind of leadership which his father brought:)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Good game, Swedish PP was an absolute killer and probably cost us a better result. That 5 on 3 PP was also a game changer. But overall Swedes deserved to win and at the same time I can't be even mad, I excpected much worse showing from the Czechs. (Like last year)

Zadina, Necas, Michnac and Hajek were the standouts for me. How did Hajek get cut last year is beyond me. Michnac brings a nice set of hands, really skilled. Also shoutout to Skarek, he was good.

Now comes that crucial part where they have to be the ones who dictate the tempo of game. They surely are the favorites against the Swiss and Belarussians. Don't drop any points and they might have a shot in the Qf. (Preferably against Finland)

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Looks like Pešán really doesnt have this team under control. As much as I dont like Hadamczik, he should have been there this year. Hes more qualified for this job.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Looks like Pešán really doesnt have this team under control. As much as I dont like Hadamczik, he should have been there this year. Hes more qualified for this job.
I will have to disagree with you for now. I didn't see this game, but against Russia and Sweden he did really well I thought. Let's wait until the end of the tournament before we start saying stuff like that

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Thank god we survive it. Our worst game so far, the penalty starting to be problem. All defense not good game today, Kořenář and Škarek didn't look good also. The forwards one more positive note looks slightly better, I like Zachar, Pavlík, Reichel today, especially Reichel after he was put with Safin. It's good these complementary guys can score in game like this and it's not all on Zadina, Nečas and Chytil. Though Chytil look little lost last 2 games, didn't know if it just me or not.

I hope our guys will learn from this at least, I trust Pešán will handle it. But still I wish I see at least one game, when we comfortably win like 6-2 and not these nerves every year.:help:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
It doesnt look like that. You can clearly see on him that he is considering whether to yel at them as hell or to swallow it. Guys look they have more independence with Pesan. He has it under control: its just his style imo.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
František Hrdinka added to the roster. With him the roster is complete. Doudera and Helt will travel back home.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005

Really? I have never seen any of his teams play like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad