WJC: 2018 Czech Republic Roster Talk

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I believe Pešán is a great coach. Sometimes it's not possible to coach the juniors so effectively like more experienced players.
Completely agree. I think he has done a fantastic job so far. There's only so much that you can control as a coach.
The things he can control, (line changes, specific players TOI, line combinations etc.) he's done a good job I think.
Our biggest issue is goaltending and sometimes defense. Offense has been pretty darn good. So I definitely like our chances against Finland.

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Opinions on possible next year's team? What about this. And yes, I know that it's highly possible Necas and Chytil might not be available. :/ But this could be pretty damn good team team.

Zadina-Necas-Safin
Plasek-Chytil-Kaut
Kondelik-Lauko-Pekar
Kern-Hladonik-Hrabik
Jenik

Kral-Galvas
Salda-Zabransky
Kvasnicka-Bukac
Mikyska/Buchtela

Skarek
Dostal
Vomacka

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
No matter what the result in the QFs will be, these players have future. Necas has been on the the best players of the tournament so far (when was the last time a Czech was this good?). Zadina, Kaut and Hajek have been great as well. I am also impressed by some of the 98' forwards, Zachar especially. I think goaltending will be our downfall ultimately, Skarek has been terrible the last two big tournaments (U18 and this year's U20) and Korenar has been average at best. Not optimistic with either one in the net against Finland. Should have tested Kloucek in the game against Switzerland to be honest.

Opinions on possible next year's team? What about this. And yes, I know that it's highly possible Necas and Chytil might not be available. :/ But this could be pretty damn good team team.

Zadina-Necas-Lauko
Jenik
-Chytil-Kaut
Plasek-Pekar-Safin
Kern-Kondelik-Hrabik
Teply/Strondala

Kral-Galvas
Salda-Zabransky
Kvasnicka-Bukac
Malik/Mikyska

Dostal
Skarek

Vomacka

It's unlikely the Big 3 will be back at full strenght, but if it by any chance was, the team could be really, really good. Bolded the changes I would make (even if it's still very early).

Reactions: tade

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
13 years........and 10 years of waiting for me... is finally over!

Marvellous to see us make the semis. Really really happy.

Korenar was fantastic! Really impressed with Reichel. Great play from Zadina to equalise.

We were quite lucky, our defense still isn't great, but we scored when we needed to and our goalie stood on his head.

Bring on the semifinals!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Wonder how this will affect Chytil for the rest of the tourney. Obviously didn't partake in the shootout today.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Wonder how this will affect Chytil for the rest of the tourney. Obviously didn't partake in the shootout today.

As long as there is no concussion or even broken facial bones, hopefully Chytil will be ok.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
We are finally getting some results in Czech hockey, after this big drought (2004-2005)! We should open a bottle of champagne!

Korenar: MVP today
Necas: leading the team as usual
Zadina: terrific
Reichel: he is one filthy guy ;-) its always fun to see his smile when he scores :)
Michnac: imo underrated, incredible solo and smooth in general
Kurovsky: love his skillset and his physical game
Hajek: stand-out defender

Zachar: yet to be convinced why he plays 1st line, although he had some good moments
Safin: expected more from him

Last edited:
Reactions: czechcanadian

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
We are finally getting some results in Czech hockey, after this big drought (2004-2005)! We should open a bottle of champagne!

Korenar: MVP today
Necas: leading the team as usual
Zadina: terrific
Reichel: he is one filthy guy ;-) its always fun to see his smile when he scores :)
Michnac: imo underrated, incredible solo and smooth in general
Kurovsky: love his skillset and his physical game
Hajek: stand-out defender

Zachar: yet to be convinced why he plays 1st line, although he had some good moments
Safin: expected more from him

Yes, I absolutely love that. Gives me always a little nostalgic feeling of good old times. He's all dad :)

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
13 years........and 10 years of waiting for me... is finally over!

Marvellous to see us make the semis. Really really happy.

Korenar was fantastic! Really impressed with Reichel. Great play from Zadina to equalise.

We were quite lucky, our defense still isn't great, but we scored when we needed to and our goalie stood on his head.

Bring on the semifinals!
Haha 12 years of waiting for me! It's been so long!! I didn't have a chance to watch this game but I will definitely make sure I do later. What a day for all of Czech hockey. This is what I felt at the beginning of the tournament. Even after the bad pre-season, I knew there was something special coming this year. Something special about this team. And to think that we could be better next year. Definitely deeper. Wow. Zadina, Necas, Chytil, and Hajek have been so good. Amazing for our future. Now I hope we can give Canada a good battle. Don't really care if we lose. Playing for a medal is pretty sweet! Just love it! Time to have some Slivovice to celebrate!!

Reactions: Swipes and Jablkon

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Im curious if people finally start to give credit to Lener after this tournament. Im not saying he is a genious, but I think Czech junior hockey would be quite a bit worse now if he wasnt doing what hes doing since 2010.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Im curious if people finally start to give credit to Lener after this tournament. Im not saying he is a genious, but I think Czech junior hockey would be quite a bit worse now if he wasnt doing what hes doing since 2010.

Agree. It's a fashion among the Czech fans to hate Lener, but I believe he is trying to do at least something, and it at least partially works. People just don't realize how deep was the pit in 2010. Basic things were completely outdated in the kids' practice, and when I say basic, I mean really basic, like the skating technique. Now, there are skating coaches working in all major clubs, plus visiting the smaller clubs regularly to give lectures there, but back in the 2010, it was all about old school "wise men," convinced they understand everything related to hockey, because their methods worked during the 90's. Never mention the dirty habits like rich parents literally buying spots on the rosters for they kids by donating to the clubs. Regarding this, I think the Růžička affair helped paradoxically, because the shame and embarrassment was so massive that certain people "squeezed their noses," as we say here.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
That was supposed from him to do something with it on the other hand. I guess its too early to evaluate his work. Wait till next year. You can clearly see progress on finnish side in recent years. But we dont have any longtime pozitive data so far. This was one game. True is its a complete different level than 7 years ago but I am maybe too negative but there are still lot of thinks I dont like even office so I will wait with that. I was maybe naive but I thought that things surrounding hockey can be more clear. Therefore I am still suspicious.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Agree. It's a fashion among the Czech fans to hate Lener, but I believe he is trying to do at least something, and it at least partially works. People just don't realize how deep was the pit in 2010. Basic things were completely outdated in the kids' practice, and when I say basic, I mean really basic, like the skating technique. Now, there are skating coaches working in all major clubs, plus visiting the smaller clubs regularly to give lectures there, but back in the 2010, it was all about old school "wise men," convinced they understand everything related to hockey, because their methods worked during the 90's. Never mention the dirty habits like rich parents literally buying spots on the rosters for they kids by donating to the clubs. Regarding this, I think the Růžička affair helped paradoxically, because the shame and embarrassment was so massive that certain people "squeezed their noses," as we say here.
Sorry, but this wasnt here much till big names like Bukac became with it. He never properly answered that criticism. I dont really think czechs are so negative with no purpose in this case. In the end lot of people claim we were super power even in 2014. But sure these all things were done. I personally dont know what to think about it because of so many contradictory opinions on him. I just dont think this is normal. Critism is a good think. But when there is no proper reaction to it, its hard to believe it works healthy.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
That was supposed from him to do something with it on the other hand. I guess its too early to evaluate his work. Wait till next year. You can clearly see progress on finnish side in recent years. But we dont have any longtime pozitive data so far. This was one game. True is its a complete different level than 7 years ago but I am maybe too negative but there are still lot of thinks I dont like even office so I will wait with that. I was maybe naive but I thought that things surrounding hockey can be more clear. Therefore I am still suspicious.
I have 2 things to add to this:
1) dont forget his power is limited. He cant be everywhere, its also about many other people who are supposed to implement the changes.
2) it isnt just this one game. We played 2 finals of Hlinka memorial cup recently and we also won silver at wjc 18.

There are still things to improve, for example the quality of shooting. But the progress is noticeable I think.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I think there's definitely progress since Lener took over. You can see it in the skating, the stick-handling and the overall skill-level of our players now vs back then. I would say that at the U-18 level we're getting good and pretty consistent,

Ivan Hlinka 2013-2017: bronze, silver, 6th, gold, silver and U-18 silver in 2014.

The issue is still the transition from U-18 to U-20 (and subsequently "A") where we somehow haven't quite fully figured it out. We'll get there.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I will also give credit to Tomáš Král for that progress. The financial side of things drastically improve since 08 he take over. And without money you can hardly think at success. I think we were lucky these two take over. Maybe some things can be done better, but if nothing else, you can say they trying do their best. And now after 13 years you can finally enjoy your nation in SF, so far so good.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I have 2 things to add to this:
1) dont forget his power is limited. He cant be everywhere, its also about many other people who are supposed to implement the changes.
2) it isnt just this one game. We played 2 finals of Hlinka memorial cup recently and we also won silver at wjc 18.

There are still things to improve, for example the quality of shooting. But the progress is noticeable I think.
I dont doubt number 2, thats just about individual matter what we consider as lets say stabile progress. For me one U20 is still not enough, especially before Canada game. But here again I dont doubt progress and especially logistic/organization things they done. As it was said, Kral did great job in terms of money.I dont know him but based on info we have he is right man.

In regards to 1 thats where my concern comes from. They have money and sources to pick best brains in czech hockey. This could be even on voluntary basis as obviously there are still guys who came to association offering the help. In soccer there is coaches union. I dont hear about anything like this in hockey. What I see on their website, this is all about Lener, Hnilicka and that guy from Kladno who is only one I dont really oppose. Milan Hnilicka is a member of parliement now and frankly he didnt convince me he is something special. Everybody will judge Lener soon or later, but guys, to be honest, our off ice prezentation even in this WJC is horrible. Prerost might does his job but he looks like such low class that he cant be expose to media. Newspapers adore how nicely our guys apologized to iceman when this should be automatic and most people doubt they did it intentionally and joking about that PR purpose. I might be oversensitive to it but even TSN guys looked to me they are not used to see such a weird things from czechs. Maybe we are in process of some transition here, and maybe its not only about that group of people, but when you see it on itn stage, its not something really likeable. Just an example.I dont have anything against Petr Klima, but he has good friends here and he is visible, Bukac said something against, silence, elimination. Same goes for others. And all that shit enviroment which we have here just expose on int stage. I would be happy if you prove me wrong here or say I am exaggerating. Thats not something I want to argue here, thats just how I see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad