2018 conference tournament and NCAA tournament thread

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
That entire half of the bracket is wide open. Michigan is the highest seed left and we are playing like shit

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
App State could return whoever, but they still were a 1-AA team playing at Michigan against the #5 Wolverines. That was a colossal upset of the first order. That being said, this Virginia loss is bigger. Much bigger. Let alone a 16 beating a 1, they did it with relative ease.

Eh. If the FCS existed in college basketball, UMBC would not only be in it but they wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant at that level as Appalachian State was during that period. It was also a time when the spread option was much more novel, which created a lot of leverage for lesser teams to upset unprepared schools. Michigan was especially bad at defending against the spread and was absolutely destroyed by Oregon the next week before eking out a decent season. They also would have beaten Appalachian State if they had made a last-second field goal.

Virginia was the number one overall seed in the entire tournament and they were blown out by 20 points against a middling team at the very bottom wrung of the college basketball universe. Absolutely no contest as to what is the greater upset.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This is like the 2010 NHL East playoffs/2006 NHL West playoffs.

Chalk is taking a beating.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Is there an explanation for what is happening. Was this an issue during the regular season? It seems like Parity runs so deep in College Basketball that it will be a crapshoot for whoever makes it. Right now maybe Villanova is the most dominant team in this tournament, but they could go down next week. I'm enjoying the upsets but I remember many years ago when (I think it was) George Mason made it to the final four and one of the topics of conversation was if you don't have the best teams in the final, is that final worth anything?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
So we have two 7s, two 9s and two 11s in the Sweet 16 crazy. The East region is the only one that was any kind of chalk. Syracuse does in again where they make a run after getting in the field undeservedly.

Most peoples brackets are probably shot, although people who had Nova, Kansas or Duke winning are in the drivers seat for now.

I was actually going to take FSU over Xavier and Loyal-CHI over Tennesse, but I went went the safer route and took XAV (had them losing to Gonzaga anyway) and I didn't take Loyola because I already New Mexico St in the Sweet 16 and didn't wanna be too upset happy.

None of this would have mattered anyway because I had Arizona in the Final 4 and Michigan St winning it all but still.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Eh. If the FCS existed in college basketball, UMBC would not only be in it but they wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant at that level as Appalachian State was during that period. It was also a time when the spread option was much more novel, which created a lot of leverage for lesser teams to upset unprepared schools. Michigan was especially bad at defending against the spread and was absolutely destroyed by Oregon the next week before eking out a decent season. They also would have beaten Appalachian State if they had made a last-second field goal.

Virginia was the number one overall seed in the entire tournament and they were blown out by 20 points against a middling team at the very bottom wrung of the college basketball universe. Absolutely no contest as to what is the greater upset.

Which is exactly what I said lol.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
To all those who still claim the Stanley Cup Playoffs(or anything else for that matter) is better than March Madness and the Tournament...

8f5.gif

Reactions: Wild11MN

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I still have a perfect Final Four in one of the 2 brackets I did.

In other news, Sparty fans were melting down yesterday on local sports talk radio. Even with most agreeing that they were overrated(based on their record).

This might be worse than Middle Tennessee State two years ago.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I still have a perfect Final Four in one of the 2 brackets I did.

In other news, Sparty fans were melting down yesterday on local sports talk radio. Even with most agreeing that they were overrated(based on their record).

This might be worse than Middle Tennessee State two years ago.

I personally had them as a 4 seed (14th overall). They really didn't beat anyone other than UNC and Purdue. Their record was full of empty wins.

Reactions: DaveG

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Most MSU fans had them losing to Duke. As did I. But seeing them lose to Syracuse, the way Izzo coached that game, while having home-court apparently drove some off the edge.

This is the first I've heard that it was time to move on from Izzo or think of a succession plan from that fanbase.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Michigan destroying A&M. Good lord the Aggies are imploding, I think in one of my brackets I had them in the Final 4. Whoops.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Three wins by a total of four points--Loyola continues to lead a charmed existence.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
As a Zags fan, I can't be upset with this effort while missing their best player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad