2018 conference tournament and NCAA tournament thread

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
You're right. I thought the big 10 was one of the last conferences.

They usually are every year with the B10 Championship game prior to the selection show.

Being in New York this year is nothing more than a recruitment angle and you'll be hard pressed to find any fan of a B10 who approves. Even though it could pay dividends by giving the teams who make the tournament an extra week off for rest.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
They usually are every year with the B10 Championship game prior to the selection show.

Being in New York this year is nothing more than a recruitment angle and you'll be hard pressed to find any fan of a B10 who approves. Even though it could pay dividends by giving the teams who make the tournament an extra week off for rest.

Ok so I'm not going crazy. I thought it was the big 10 where Jim Nantz and Rafftery call the game and then give thier thoughts as the selection show goes. And it was usually held in Indy.

I guess this is a change.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Ok so I'm not going crazy. I thought it was the big 10 where Jim Nantz and Rafftery call the game and then give thier thoughts as the selection show goes. And it was usually held in Indy.

I guess this is a change.

It's usually Chicago or Indianapolis. And, in fairness, last year they held it in D.C.

Which no one really noticed as it was in line with everyone else. This year is a different story and makes the conference appear so diminished until "the big boys" play next week in New York.

They said it was to appease Maryland and Rutgers for joining the B10. But it's certainly also to help gain exposure outside the Midwest.

And I'm not against them doing this again in either D.C. or New York...but at least have it when all the other tournaments are going on as you're a power 5 conference, not a mid-major.

I will say the "home court" could be benefitting Rutgers. They were in the conversation for the worst team in the entire B10. Only to string together a pair of wins and giving Purdue all they can handle.

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
Considering that the Big Ten was one of the last conference tournaments leading up to Selection Sunday, having the tournament a week early could alleviate the selection committee this year. I always had a fear that if the Big Ten Tourney Final went into OT or more extended, the Selection Show would be forced late. (In the age of the DVR, that would be a buzz kill). (I don't know if CBS ever had to pushed the Selection show back, but I always feared that scenario.) Having the Big Ten Tourney a week early just feels a bit reassuring. I know, for some, this change of schedule seems odd (and trust me, a difference is one aspect of life I DON'T handle well, AT ALL!) but for this year, I kind of like it.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
There's still a conference tournament final at 3:30pm this year (I believe it's the American), so if it goes into overtime...

The first two tickets to the NIT were punched yesterday. UNC Asheville and Rider both lost as the top seeds in their respective conferences.

(1) Murray State vs. (2) Belmont is for the OVC championship tonight (8pm on ESPN2).

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I learned something new today. NFL official Gene Steratore is also a college basketball official. Apparently there is another NFL ref who also does college basketball.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Michigan came to play today. I haven't followed this season at all but March is about the upset.

Beilein has given Sparty problems since arriving at Michigan. There wasn't a doubt in mind that Michigan could win today.

There are four legitimate tournament teams from the B10 in the tournament and Michigan is one of those. If they can make their free throws, they can make just as much, if not more noise than last season.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Nor do I view Michigan over MSU as an upset.

They only had one game versus each other due to the schedule and Michigan beat Sparty by double digits in East Lansing.

Purdue, if they advance, proposes a tougher test for Michigan. Both games have been extremely close but they still lost both contests.

I view them as the best team in the B10 with MSU, Michigan and Ohio State as interchangeable.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Despite what a lot of the "experts" think, I honestly can't see Michigan State getting a 1 or a 2 seed. They have two top 50 wins, their non-conference schedule was crap, and they faced the top teams in the conference (except for Michigan) once. Heck, they only have seven wins against the top 100. I know that the schedule in conference isn't their fault, but they definitely could have scheduled a hell of a lot better outside of the Big Ten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->