2018 conference tournament and NCAA tournament thread

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
App State could return whoever, but they still were a 1-AA team playing at Michigan against the #5 Wolverines. That was a colossal upset of the first order. That being said, this Virginia loss is bigger. Much bigger. Let alone a 16 beating a 1, they did it with relative ease.

Except that Michigan team was boat-raced by about 30 points against Oregon the very next week. At Michigan, no less.

Not to dismiss the accomplishment nor derail this thread. But that team was just overrated from the start. Though they did eventually rebound and had a decent season all things considered.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I had them in. That's all that matters. :sarcasm:

I had them in too, great minds haha.

To be fair I saw a few people who said they shouldn’t be in say they wouldn’t be surprised if they did go on another run. Though that probably won’t happen with Michigan State next, 2 wins is enough to likely keep people quiet again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The official to 68 seed list the committee released had UMBC at 63(the first 16) and Penn at 64. Whether they change that from the initial scrubbed seed list if they have to slot a team up or down I don't know, but I would find it kinda dumb if they favoured having a team at home above having them on the proper seed line(IMO they should only move a team off the proper seed lines to fix the firm bracketing procedures like avoid repeat games and in conference closeness). I understand not caring too much about which 16's face which 1's, etc but you really should make the worst 6 teams the 16's and not shift a better team to 16 and a worse one to 15 because it makes a team closer to home

It’s very complicated. Here’s a great but lengthy breakdown on how the committee places the teams into brackets and how the final bracket seed might differ from the “true seed” ranking of 1-68 the committee does.

And it does confirm that once they go past the #1-#4 seeds that individual rankings of teams with the same seed # isn’t a top priority in assigning them to brackets. However there are some complicated formulas to make sure they are aren’t overly unbalancing any individual bracket by doing this.

March Madness bracket: How the 68 teams are selected for the Division I Men's Basketball Tournament

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The gripes against Syracuse is that they never play anyone outside of their conference. Nor are willing to travel.

All the while always getting the benefit of the doubt come tournament time. I'm fine with that as long as they keep getting placed in the first four games if they're a bubble team.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The gripes against Syracuse is that they never play anyone outside of their conference. Nor are willing to travel.

All the while always getting the benefit of the doubt come tournament time. I'm fine with that as long as they keep getting placed in the first four games if they're a bubble team.

Syracuse actually had the 13th toughest non-conference schedule this year. They only played one true road game out of conference, though. They usually have a crappy non-conference schedule, but this year was different. They still really didn't go out of the Carrier Dome unless it was for an ACC game.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Virginia needs to change everything.

Fire Bennett, no more of their slow style, get a coach that coaches fast, push the pace.

The only way to win in March.

UVA plays a style of ball that’s better suited for the days before shot clocks.

Slow and steady may have won the race for the tortoise over the hare, but not in college basketball

member 51464

I can't be the only one who assumed it would be Kansas that eventually became the first #1 seed to lose to a #16, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad