Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

According to Godin, Ylönen will sign an AHL contract to finish the year in Laval.

He will be signed to his ELC in the off-season. Unless they sign him to the AHL deal for this year and his ELC that will kick in next year all at the same time.

CamaBoom

Dec 11, 2016
wow!

But why is his Finnish team willing to loan him?

Are they out of the playoffs? Is he not contributing enough so he's expendable?
Pelicans officials stated and this is a rough translation: "We didnt want to stop him as the opportunity to play in NA came up. He came here two years ago with a clear purpose and what is infront of him at the moment is the next step that he wanted to take. Our job is to help players to develop further on their careers and we are happy that we were able to do this with Ylönen."

But basically the thason has been a disaster for Pelicans and they are out of playoffs.

Also want to point out that it was Ylönen's idea to move to NA.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Pelicans officials stated and this is a rough translation: "We didnt want to stop him as the opportunity to play in NA came up. He came here two years ago with a clear purpose and what is infront of him at the moment is the next step that he wanted to take. Our job is to help players to develop further on their careers and we are happy that we were able to do this with Ylönen."

But basically the thason has been a disaster for Pelicans and they are out of playoffs.

Also want to point out that it was Ylönen's idea to move to NA.
Thanks for your perspective. I agree with the league's theory of player development. Unlike the NHL at times.. John Scott trade caugh cough. Bergevin.. smh.

Reactions: CamaBoom

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I'm not sure how anyone can really evaluate Evans...

He's basically just filling a jersey and allowing the other 3C's to get a breather from time to time.
I think it's a bit of a myth that a coach can't assess a player based on limited ice time.

Offensive players, sure. They need ice and they need a proper context to thrive. But Evans? His projected role is that of a bottom 6 forward. Claude can see how many faceoffs is he winning, how many puck battles, how many smart plays under pressure does he make to get the puck out of the zone and up the ice. Is his line getting hemmed in and giving up scoring chances right from the get go etc.

I agree Claude could be more tolerant and just live with the mistakes, but that requires someone telling him that integrating Evans into the lineup is more important than results at this point.

Reactions: Vachon23

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it's a bit of a myth that a coach can't assess a player based on limited ice time.

Offensive players, sure. They need ice and they need a proper context to thrive. But Evans? His projected role is that of a bottom 6 forward. Claude can see how many faceoffs is he winning, how many puck battles, how many smart plays under pressure does he make to get the puck out of the zone and up the ice. Is his line getting hemmed in and giving up scoring chances right from the get go etc.

I agree Claude could be more tolerant and just live with the mistakes, but that requires someone telling him that integrating Evans into the lineup is more important than results at this point.

Probably true...and that's speaks volumes about the coaches ability IMO.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I noticed that too, send him back to Laval for that playoff push
Noticed? more like knew it. This coaching staff makes questionable decisions often from the PP set up to ice time for some players to which position they play certain guys. Even as an amateur it makes little sense to me when it should be very obvious to the "pros". I just knew Evans would not get quality ice time and correct me if i am wrong but isn't Hudon playing the wrong side? Did he even get any PP time last night? (you know where he gets a ton of goals). Not suggesting all this would amount to wins etc...but they don't even give these guys a chance..frustrating.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Glad to see Ylonen being allowed / taking the decision to come over and play in Laval. It will be good for both him and Kotka to have each other down there.

It will give Ylonen some time to get used to the smaller ice before next season when he's likely a full time AHLer and give the coaches time to assess what direction they want to give him for the summer.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I guess Hudon will not return to Laval this season... ? Too much injuries in MTL.

Welcome Ylonen. Can't wait to watch you play.

Ylonen will play for Laval and depending if he signs an ATO, AHL contract or NHL contract, either the Habs or Laval will pay him for the rest of the season.

Looks like it's a AHL contract.

Reactions: jaffy27

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It's a huge waste of time for Evans to be with the Habs right now.

CJ's not interested in playing him any meaningful minutes anyways.

I would agree if it was Poehling, KK or Caufield but I project Evans to be exactly that a good 4th liner so I don’t see what is the problem

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He’s flying in from Finland.....he’ll be jet lagged to the nines.....7pm game will feel like 1am lol

I’d guess next week, like Wednesday on, and that’s if he gets here today

I always find it easier to recover from jetlag when flying westward than when flying eastward, but that's just me :)

It will still take a few days though, unless they have an early afternoon game, in which case Ylonen should be the best player.

Reactions: jaffy27

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Cant wait to see him outproduced Suzuki in the NHL... riiiiight? :sarcasm:
Says the guy who had Brook at the top of our prospects pool and was claiming that Heinola was the next superstar on D after cracking a weak and depleted Jets blueline... :laugh:

At least I dont have the pretention to be never wrong, I had our top 5-6 prospects ranked pretty evenly, always claimed it was anyone guess... It will be interesting to see what Ylonen does in his D+3 season, but it will be hard to do better than Suzuki, who exceeded all my expectations since the last training camp...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I always find it easier to recover from jetlag when flying westward than when flying eastward, but that's just me :)

It will still take a few days though, unless they have an early afternoon game, in which case Ylonen should be the best player.
100%......I go back and forth quite often and coming back to Canada is always easier then going there in regards to time adjustment.

You bring good points

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I would agree if it was Poehling, KK or Caufield but I project Evans to be exactly that a good 4th liner so I don’t see what is the problem
Well how about finding out if he can be option for that role the rest of the season?

Instead of maybe wasting a 1-1.5M on a veteran to do the same thing?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Says the guy who had Brook at the top of our prospects pool and was claiming that Heinola was the next superstar on D after cracking a weak and depleted Jets blueline... :laugh:

At least I dont have the pretention to be never wrong, I had our top 5-6 prospects ranked pretty evenly, always claimed it was anyone guess... It will be interesting to see what Ylonen does in his D+3 season, but it will be hard to do better than Suzuki, who exceeded all my expectations since the last training camp...

Still up for grabs for both my prospects to be studs.

Ylonen being better than Suzuki though? Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad