League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I actually like the Jackets. Too bad they are in the same division as the Caps and it does give me more chances to see the Caps live. That said, sitting players last year to get the Caps irritated me. Caps fixed that though with a series win and they won't disrespect the Caps again. People can say what they want but Torts is good entertainment with the media.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I actually like the Jackets. Too bad they are in the same division as the Caps and it does give me more chances to see the Caps live. That said, sitting players last year to get the Caps irritated me. Caps fixed that though with a series win and they won't disrespect the Caps again. People can say what they want but Torts is good entertainment with the media.
I hate Columbus perhaps one notch below Pittsburgh. Would have loved to have seen them miss the playoffs. Their Kuzy taunting is fresh in my mind and should be in yours, although that’s just one reason I hate them.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

In a vacuum I find them to be a team that I'd neutrally root for but that garbage with the tanking last year and their JV antics with the Kuzy celebrations this year have made it tough for me not to dislike them.

Reactions: peterthegreat12

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
In a vacuum I find them to be a team that I'd neutrally root for but that garbage with the tanking last year and their JV antics with the Kuzy celebrations this year have made it tough for me not to dislike them.

Yeah, exactly how I feel. Makes for good rivalry though. That said they showed the Red/Pirates game over the Jackets/Rangers lol.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
My God Shattenkirk sucks. One of GMBM’s worst moves in an otherwise shrewd career as the Caps’ GM.

Every GM has those moments and he was the big fish that year. He's right up there as one of the most useless Cap's player imho. So far Erat holds that record.

Reactions: crab

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I hope the Jerks win tomorrow.

Canes better go balls out tomorrow because I guarantee the Jackets will against the Sens.

Canes lost all seven games to the Caps and the Bolts but the games v. the Caps were much closer.

The Jackets actually got destroyed by the Bolts in all three games and played the Caps very well, winning three of four. Bob and Korpisola were both complete sieves against Tampa.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My God Shattenkirk sucks. One of GMBM’s worst moves in an otherwise shrewd career as the Caps’ GM.

My hot take is that Shatternkirk and Schmidt would have been a terrific third pair and that the trade would have worked out differently, and they would have had a real chance to beat Pittsburgh if Trotz rightfully benched Alzner/Orpik over Schmidt. Trotz made some mind-numbingly poor roster decisions during the playoffs while HC here.

Also this is not the Shattenkirk we acquired. This is a broken down Shattenkirk with a bum knee.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wish there was a permanent camera on torts literally all the time..

2 turntables and a microphone.

Seriously, Torts personality is good for the game. I have never looked forward to Caps coaches pressers after playoff losses, like I do with his. The league needs more personalities on display.

Its a damned shame Cherry stifles all that, and the hockey world buys in...

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Blue Jackets looked slow and confused out there for most of the game. I doubt they can get a game from Tampa or us unless they improve considerably within the next week or so.

Reactions: Sam Spade

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Both Canes and Jackets will be trying to win tonight as they want nothing to do with Tampa.

Isles will be looking to win as they want home ice in the first round.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's very odd to read this after four decades of futility but yeah, I think you're right.

The Caps have been the biggest or near biggest team in the league for while now. It was a McPhee thing. Either all the pieces or the commitment needed to properly use that size advantage wasn't there or the choking rep was a disadvantage of equal or greater value. In the regular season under Trotz you could see that they were used to winning and that they knew how to do it. That adversity didn't beat them. My question always was what would happen if they were able to clean off the choker label and apply that regular season confidence to the playoffs, what would happen.

Well, now we will know. Again this season they had struggles and adversity in the regular season but seemed to expect to win and were confident that they would find a way. Niskanen and Orlov and Holtby struggled but they found a way. Now Niskanen and Orlov and Holtby are no longer struggling. They win the division again. They have shown again their mental strength and commitment to winning in the RS that they have had. To me they seem like a team that fully expects to win another cup. If true, winning last season has carried over their regular season mental outlook to their playoff outlook.

I say, hold on, we got another ride coming

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
My hot take is that Shatternkirk and Schmidt would have been a terrific third pair and that the trade would have worked out differently, and they would have had a real chance to beat Pittsburgh if Trotz rightfully benched Alzner/Orpik over Schmidt. Trotz made some mind-numbingly poor roster decisions during the playoffs while HC here.

Also this is not the Shattenkirk we acquired. This is a broken down Shattenkirk with a bum knee.

At least you have company in that Schmidt fantasy!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
At least you have company in that Schmidt fantasy!

I don't really think it's a fantasy. Schmidt was clearly a better option than a hobbled Alzner who couldn't skate and a slow Orpik against a Pens team that could bring speed in waves through the neutral zone. Remember when Trotz iced Alzner and Orpik at the same time? I forget who it was who scored but the Pens made one pass through the neutral zone and one of their forwards blew through the middle of Alzner and Orpik for a goal before either of them knew what hit them.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Zzzzzzzz

This is the narrative the HF Ranger Analytic nerds push. The guy has sucked for a long time. He’s an offensive defenseman that can’t skate or make breakout passes. He is worse than useless in the defensive zone.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Zzzzzzzz

This is the narrative the HF Ranger Analytic nerds push. The guy has sucked for a long time. He’s an offensive defenseman that can’t skate or make breakout passes. He is worse than useless in the defensive zone.

And on top of that he is injury prone.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Kucherov with a record for most pts by a Russian player in a single season. Tied Jagr's record for most assists by a winger in a single season. A living legend.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't really think it's a fantasy. Schmidt was clearly a better option than a hobbled Alzner who couldn't skate and a slow Orpik against a Pens team that could bring speed in waves through the neutral zone. Remember when Trotz iced Alzner and Orpik at the same time? I forget who it was who scored but the Pens made one pass through the neutral zone and one of their forwards blew through the middle of Alzner and Orpik for a goal before either of them knew what hit them.

Yeah, IIRC Schmidt was a no-brainer to put in, instead of Alzner, who was really starting to fall apart.

Shattenkirk and Orpik could hang with relatively sheltered ES minutes if paired with a guy like Schmidt, that's about it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

There’s little to indicate it would have mattered in the outcome. It’s time to get over Nate f***ing Schmidt and move on.

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad