Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Has Kaskisuo become a goalie prospect?
I think he has certainly put himself back on the map. If he is able to continue his strong play until the Marlies are finished I would say he still has NHL potential. I had pretty much written him off, but what he's done is impressive. I think he's loaned out to another AHL team either way next season now. Someone will want him and I think it makes sense to work in house with Woll and Scott. Neither of those two should need ECHL time, but I would want to go slow and steady with them. I think it makes sense to give them both a full year with the Marlies before giving them NHL time. Which makes Kaskisuo, a prospect at an advanced age and experience level the perfect fit to come up if the Leafs need someone and he's already under contract. It provides competition for Sparks, they may give him a game or two if he does well either way to see what they have as it's his last year under contract.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm not high on Timashov at all, to me he is too careless with the puck and my blood pressure rises a little every time he has the puck
He needs to be a lot more productive next season. He'll clear waivers and head to the Marlies to start the season. If he doesn't dominate his NHL career is in serious jeopardy. He has improved each season in the AHL and I'd anticipate he'll do it again. It just comes down to if he does it well enough to see NHL ice the following year full time. He should see a few games to see what they have, it's his last year under contract.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Hopefully we target centers in June, we don't have much outside of Brooks if I am correct.

Defense and Goalie cupboards are stocked well. Left wing and centers could use some work.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hopefully we target centers in June, we don't have much outside of Brooks if I am correct.

Defense and Goalie cupboards are stocked well. Left wing and centers could use some work.

Engvall will likely be a center moving forward honestly.
McGregor will be there as well.

Then SDA will be in juniors (hopefully dealt away from the Petes)

So yeah, a couple C's drafted in June would be nice, as long as they are the BPA

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

So yeah, a couple C's drafted in June would be nice, as long as they are the BPA

honestly BPA really only applies in the first round, and maybe the first 10-15 in the second, after that it's a lottery. I have no issue targetting centers in the 3rd and 4th round (especially Euro's who can step right into the AHL)

horner

May 22, 2007

Trade from our winger depth for young center.
Draft the BPA

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Aside from Engvall, they have nobody IMO that could step in next year even for a game or two if needed as a 4C. That's an issue.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

If we run Brooks #1C, Engvall #2C, McGregor #3C, Joshua #4C. The low numbers may open the door for the last two to get ELC's. Then grab a strong depth center in free agency. There is also the possibility of the Leafs overstocking the NHL team this summer and then Petan may find himself on the Marlies. Knock him to the Marlies with the above group and it's fine.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
What is the latest on our NCAA prospect Dakota Joshua? Is he a candidate for a Ato or an Elc?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Aside from Engvall, they have nobody IMO that could step in next year even for a game or two if needed as a 4C. That's an issue.
Plenty of 4c options:

Gauthier Engvall Nylander Marleau Hyman Mueller Brooks

We also still have the option of going 3 centers 20 min each.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
What is the latest on our NCAA prospect Dakota Joshua? Is he a candidate for a Ato or an Elc?
I imagine he is still a candidate for an ELC. He has not received an ATO and he has been eligible for awhile. It doesn't appear he is getting one.

With the season over for most of them and deadlines looming Joshua, McGregor, Gordeev and Rasanen sit on the hot seat. Given the depth on LHD compared to RHD going into next season the center depth the first three aren't in terrible shape, but none of them being signed is also possible. Rasanen is still on a PTO and is basically a lock for an ELC.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I imagine he is still a candidate for an ELC. He has not received an ATO and he has been eligible for awhile. It doesn't appear he is getting one.

With the season over for most of them and deadlines looming Joshua, McGregor, Gordeev and Rasanen sit on the hot seat. Given the depth on LHD compared to RHD going into next season the center depth the first three aren't in terrible shape, but none of them being signed is also possible. Rasanen is still on a PTO and is basically a lock for an ELC.
Is he not back in the NCAA or planning on going back?

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008

Shame. Joshua tools seem like a good fit for the organization. McGregor and Gordeev surprise. They seem to have a solid season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Has KK outperformed Hutchinson to become the starting goalie for the marlies?

Hutch was wildly inconsistent for the Marlies. He had stretches of brilliance followed by stretches of games where he essentially cost the team a win on his own.

Kaskisuo, for the most part, was terrible all year but has finally showed what made him excellent last year. To me, for much of this season, he just looked injured... And when he did not look injured, he looked rusty. He did have a groin injury at the beginning of the year, and for the longest time it looked like it did not heal properly. Then he just looked mentally behind.

Now he looks sharp on both accounts. Good for him. He should be a good mentor for Woll next year, and the year after that, he can maybe challenge for the Leafs' backup job (if he earns it with his play next year).

Reactions: bonjovi0308

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Hutch was wildly inconsistent for the Marlies. He had stretches of brilliance followed by stretches of games where he essentially cost the team a win on his own.

Kaskisuo, for the most part, was terrible all year but has finally showed what made him excellent last year. To me, for much of this season, he just looked injured... And when he did not look injured, he looked rusty. He did have a groin injury at the beginning of the year, and for the longest time it looked like it did not heal properly. Then he just looked mentally behind.

Now he looks sharp on both accounts. Good for him. He should be a good mentor for Woll next year, and the year after that, he can maybe challenge for the Leafs' backup job (if he earns it with his play next year).
Any chance he may unsit Sparks next year as the backup?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So, the CHL goaltender of the year is chosen between the winners of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL. Our boy Ian Scott looks like a surefire winner of the trophy. His numbers are far superior to Ukko-Lukkhonen who is a Sabres prospect and a good bit better than Sam Harvey who is an undrafted 21 year old out of the Q.

Looks like our string of draft look has hit it's peak as we might have just unearthed a potential franchise caliber goalie in the 4th round.

Ian Scott also holds the distinction of being the 2nd highest drafted goalie in WHL history, I believe at 9th overall. The highest ever was Carey Price at 7th overall.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here are the playoff series for our prospects, and their stats in the series and entire playoffs.
Updated Monday May 6th

Games today

Game 2: Guelph wins 7-2
Ottawa leads 2-1

OHL

Finals: Ottawa(1) vs Guelph(4)
Ottawa leads series 2-1
Fedor Gordeev
Series:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points
Playoffs:
GP 20 Goals 2 Assists 1 Points 3
Regular season:
GP: 63 Goals: 7 Assists: 25 Points: 32

WHL
3rd round: Prince Albert(1) vs Vancouver(1)
Series tied 1-1
Ian Scott
Series:
GP 2 SV% .878 GAA 2.54 SO 1
Playoffs:
GP 18 SV% .925 GAA 1.92 SO 4
Regular season:
GP: 49 SV%: .932 GAA: 1.83 SO: 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events